httpHandler path Problem under 2003 and ASP.NET 2.0

Ingo Eichenseher

I've the follwing configuration:

<httpHandlers>
<add verb="GET" path="FilmImage.jpg" type="oaky.ImageHandler"
validate="false"/>
</httpHandlers>

IIS is configured to handle '.jpg' via aspnet_iisapi.dll

This works perfectly under XP(IIS 5.1) (.NET 1.1 and 2.0) and also under
Windows 2003 using .NET 1.1

The problem is with Windows 2003 (IIS 6.0) and ASP.NET 2.0.
In this case all static '.jpg' files which do not match the name
'FilmImage.jpg' are no more served, only the matching
file 'FilmeImage.jpg' is served using the ImageHandler class.

I can resolve the Problem adding the following handler beneath
my ImageHandler:

<add verb="GET,HEAD" path="*.jpg" type="System.Web.StaticFileHandler"
validate="true"/>

but i do not understand why this behaviour is different only
under Windows 2003 and ASP.NET 2.0