https access - NET::SSL or Crypt::SSLeay ?

still me

I need to pull a web page with Perl and echo it back. I am familiar
with crude LWP use (crude 'cause I'm a newbie). I understand that to
pull from an https server I will need NET::SSL or Crypt::SSLeay.

Will NET::SSL do the job? I have a feeling that it will be easier to
get my host to install that, although I have asked for both.

Also, could someone post a simple example of pulling a page with it? I
don't need password access & such, just a very simple pull of a page
from an https server that I will echo back to the calling browser.

Thanks,

still me

I need to pull a web page with Perl and echo it back. I am familiar
with crude LWP use (crude 'cause I'm a newbie). I understand that to
pull from an https server I will need NET::SSL or Crypt::SSLeay.

Will NET::SSL do the job? I have a feeling that it will be easier to
get my host to install that, although I have asked for both.

Also, could someone post a simple example of pulling a page with it? I
don't need password access & such, just a very simple pull of a page
from an https server that I will echo back to the calling browser.

Following up... I have found that Crypt::SSLeay is already installed.
NET::SSL is not there... waiting for my host to get back to me.

If there is a sample around of Crypt::SSLeay with a post operation
that would help.

TA,

J. Gleixner

still said:
Following up... I have found that Crypt::SSLeay is already installed.
NET::SSL is not there... waiting for my host to get back to me.

If there is a sample around of Crypt::SSLeay with a post operation
that would help.

If you can 'pull a page' for a non-SSL URL, you can 'pull a page'
for a SSL URL, if Crypt::SSLeay is installed. The only
difference in the script is 'https' vs 'http'. You don't use
Crypt::SSLeay directly, LWP::* handles that for you.

To see how to 'pull a page', first try the documentation:

perldoc lwpcook
perldoc LWP::UserAgent

Or you could simply use the lwp-download script that might have
been installed as part of LWP. You could also use your favorite
search engine and find many pages on the Internet, instead
of waiting for someone to respond in the newsgroup.

- Bob -

If you can 'pull a page' for a non-SSL URL, you can 'pull a page'
for a SSL URL, if Crypt::SSLeay is installed. The only
difference in the script is 'https' vs 'http'. You don't use
Crypt::SSLeay directly, LWP::* handles that for you.

To see how to 'pull a page', first try the documentation:

perldoc lwpcook
perldoc LWP::UserAgent

Or you could simply use the lwp-download script that might have
been installed as part of LWP. You could also use your favorite
search engine and find many pages on the Internet, instead
of waiting for someone to respond in the newsgroup.

Thanks. I hacked around with it last night and figured it out. What's
confusing is the relationship between Net::SSL and/or Crypt::SSLeay -
but as you noted, once you figure it out, you realize it doesn't
matter.

J. Gleixner

- Bob - said:
Thanks. I hacked around with it last night and figured it out. What's
confusing is the relationship between Net::SSL and/or Crypt::SSLeay -
but as you noted, once you figure it out, you realize it doesn't
matter.

Read through the documentation for Crypt::SSLeay:

perldoc Crypt::SSLeay

The 3rd paragraph gives an indication.