HTTPS Surprise

dorayme

A client with an engineering consultancy business mentioned to me the
other day that if you add an s to his http in his website home page url,
you get... a lingerie site!

I fired off an email to the commercial web host querying this and they
quickly came back with "The problem should be fixed, it should now
time-out for https. Sorry for the inconvenience".

Anyone know what this might quite mean? I have noticed this phenomenon
on a few sites now; unrelated sites come up when you give the same
address with the change to the "secure" version.

(Am reminded of this by a current thread about https://)

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
A client with an engineering consultancy business mentioned to me the
other day that if you add an s to his http in his website home page url,
you get... a lingerie site!

I fired off an email to the commercial web host querying this and they
quickly came back with "The problem should be fixed, it should now
time-out for https. Sorry for the inconvenience".

Anyone know what this might quite mean? I have noticed this phenomenon
on a few sites now; unrelated sites come up when you give the same
address with the change to the "secure" version.

(Am reminded of this by a current thread about https://)

I assume that that have name virtual hosting and their site is set only
to listen to the 'http' port 80

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.example.com

but the catch-all server for SSL 'https' port 443 is set to something else

<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerName www.example.org