HTTPserver: how to access variables of a higher class?

Tom P

First, here's a sample test program:
<code>
import sys
from BaseHTTPServer import HTTPServer, BaseHTTPRequestHandler

class MyRequestHandler(BaseHTTPRequestHandler, object):
def do_GET(self):
top_self = super(MyRequestHandler, self) # try to access
MyWebServer instance
self.send_response(200)
self.send_header('Content-type', 'text/html')
self.end_headers()
self.wfile.write("thanks for trying, but I'd like to get at
self.foo and self.bar")
return

class MyWebServer(object):
def __init__(self):
self.foo = "foo" # these are what I want to access from inside
do_GET
self.bar = "bar"
self.httpd = HTTPServer(('127.0.0.1', 8000), MyRequestHandler)
sa = self.httpd.socket.getsockname()
print "Serving HTTP on", sa[0], "port", sa[1], "..."

def runIt(self):
self.httpd.serve_forever()

server = MyWebServer()
server.runIt()

</code>

I want to access the foo and bar variables from do_GET, but I can't
figure out how. I suppose this is something to do with new-style vs.
old-style classes, but I lost for a solution.

Dave Angel

[...]

It'd have been good to tell us that this was on Python 2.7

Is MyWebServer class intended to have exactly one instance? If so, you
could save the instance as a class attribute, and trivially access it
from outside the class.

If it might have more than one instance, then we'd need to know more
about the class BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer, From a quick glance at the
docs, it looks like you get an attribute called server. So inside the
do_GET() method, you should be able to access self.server.foo and
self.server.bar

See http://docs.python.org/2/library/basehttpserver.html

Dylan Evans

[...]

Consider inheriting HTTPServer in MyWebServer which is passed to the
request handler.

[...]

That was the next thing I was going to try, thanks.

[...]

Yes, sorry for the omission.
Is MyWebServer class intended to have exactly one instance?
Yes, but I was trying to keep it general.
If so, you
could save the instance as a class attribute, and trivially access it
from outside the class.

If it might have more than one instance, then we'd need to know more
about the class BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer, From a quick glance at the
docs, it looks like you get an attribute called server. So inside the
do_GET() method, you should be able to access self.server.foo and
self.server.bar

ok, let me test that. Do I assume correctly from what you write that
the super() is not needed?
In reality there is just one instance of MyWebServer, but I was
looking for a general solution.

[...]

That doesn't work. Maybe you mean something that I'm missing?
Setting a breakpoint in do_GET:
Pdb) b 7
Breakpoint 1 at /home/tom/Desktop/tidy/Python/webserver/simpleWebserver.py:7
(Pdb) c
Serving HTTP on 127.0.0.1 port 8000 ...
/home/tom/Desktop/tidy/Python/webserver/simpleWebserver.py(7)do_GET()
-> self.send_response(200)
(Pdb) self
<__main__.MyRequestHandler instance at 0x7ff20dde3bd8>
(Pdb) self.server
<BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer instance at 0x7ff20dde3830>
(Pdb) dir(self.server)
['RequestHandlerClass', '_BaseServer__is_shut_down',
'_BaseServer__shutdown_request', '__doc__', '__init__', '__module__',
'_handle_request_noblock', 'address_family', 'allow_reuse_address',
'close_request', 'fileno', 'finish_request', 'get_request',
'handle_error', 'handle_request', 'handle_timeout', 'process_request',
'request_queue_size', 'serve_forever', 'server_activate',
'server_address', 'server_bind', 'server_close', 'server_name',
'server_port', 'shutdown', 'shutdown_request', 'socket', 'socket_type',
'timeout', 'verify_request']
(Pdb) self.server.foo
*** AttributeError: HTTPServer instance has no attribute 'foo'

[...]

I keep getting the same problem - if inherit from any of these classes
in BaseHTTPServer and try to use super(class, self) to initiate the
higher class, I get the error "TypeError: must be type, not classobj" -
in other words, these are old-style classes.
That means that in this call -
self.httpd = MyHTTPServer(('127.0.0.1', 8000), MyRequestHandler)

there doesn't seem to be a way to define a
class MyHTTPServer(HTTPServer)

Tom P

On 04/05/2013 01:02 PM, Tom P wrote:

ok, after much experimenting it looks like the solution is as follows:

class MyWebServer(object):
def __init__(self):
# self.foo = "foo" delete these from self
# self.bar = "bar"
myServer = HTTPServer
myServer.foo = "foo" #define foo,bar here
myServer.bar = "bar"

self.httpd = myServer(('127.0.0.1', 8000), MyRequestHandler)

Then, in the request handler:
class MyRequestHandler(BaseHTTPRequestHandler):
def do_GET(self):
ss=self.server
print ss.foo