HttpSession Class

Guest

Hi all,

I am trying to find out the internals of session management in ASP.net. I
often come accross a class called HTTPSession. However I do not find any such
class anywhere in the .net framework class. The closest i could get was
HttpSessioState class which is in System.Web.SessionState namespace. Can
anybody please explain me whether i have understood it correctly?

Thanks
pradeep_tp
Query_0000002

Joerg Jooss

pradeep_TP said:
Hi all,

I am trying to find out the internals of session management in
ASP.net. I often come accross a class called HTTPSession. However I
do not find any such class anywhere in the .net framework class. The
closest i could get was HttpSessioState class which is in
System.Web.SessionState namespace. Can anybody please explain me
whether i have understood it correctly?

Yes, that's the class you're looking for.

Cheers,

Guest

Jooss your reply has confused me. when you said "that's the class " which
class are you pointing to. If you meant HttpSessioState, the why so many web
sites refer to HttpSession class, which i do not see anywhere!

thanks
pradeep_tp

Siva M

HttpSessionState is the one that represents HTTP session.

pradeep_TP said:
Jooss your reply has confused me. when you said "that's the class "
which class are you pointing to. If you meant HttpSessioState, the
why so many web sites refer to HttpSession class, which i do not see
anywhere!

There's only one class: HttpSessionState. There's no class HttpSession
(that's the name of the equivalent interface in J2EE).

If somebody refers to a "session" or a "HTTP session", it implies using
an instance of the HttpSessionState class in ASP.NET.

Cheers,

Guest

Joerg Jooss

pradeep_TP said:
Thank you joerg.

I was also quite sure that its the HttpsessionState and NOT
Httpsession. But i was really confused (should i still say still
confused...) when I read the following articles.

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/ASPNETSessionInternals.asp#xx1030220
xx.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnasp
p/html/converttoaspnet.asp

Both of the articles talk about HTTPSession object!!. I wonder
whether it is a voodoo magic!?

No, it's just a mild case of sloppiness on the authors' side ;-)

Cheers,