HttpSession getID method not returning unique ID

Piyush Parmar

Hi.

I am using Oracle 9i Application Server and encountering a problem
where the HttpSession.getID() method is returning the same ID for 2
different sessions. Technically, i had 2 people log into my webapp
from different machines, but we logged in using the same userID
(although that shouldn't make a difference). Through the trace I
found that the session ID was same! How is that possible?

Thanks,

Oscar kind

Piyush Parmar said:
I am using Oracle 9i Application Server and encountering a problem
where the HttpSession.getID() method is returning the same ID for 2
different sessions. Technically, i had 2 people log into my webapp
from different machines, but we logged in using the same userID
(although that shouldn't make a difference). Through the trace I
found that the session ID was same! How is that possible?

Appearently, the session was associated with the user. So when the same
user logged in from somewhere else, it got assigned the same session.

Piyush Parmar

Oscar kind said:
Appearently, the session was associated with the user. So when the same
user logged in from somewhere else, it got assigned the same session.

Even if that's the case, it doesn't make sense for any container to do
that. There could be one generic userID set up for the webapp (like
Admin, poweruser, etc...) and multiple ppl can log in using that ID.
That is a very common scenario.

Thanks for your input though....keep 'em coming!