HttpWebRequest and 401

LinuxLivz

Hello All
Here is what I am attempting to do:

I have a NTLM protected site. There are some users who are not part of
the domain (visitors) get challenged with a Pop up dialog box
prompting for a user id, pwd and domain.

In oder to overcome this, I have setup a anonymous site (open to
alll). Users would first hit this site contains a page with an
instance of HttpWebRequest class. This class would make a call to the
protected site with the user's credentials on behalf of the user. If
the user has the correct credentials, then they would be passed to the
protected site else they would be redirected to a login page (NOT the
pop up dialog). In theory this appears to be a good idea to get rid of
the po up dialog.

However, I am unable to get the suers credentials on the anonymous
site and pass it to the HttpWebRequest. If I use DefaultCredentials,
then the site's user id and password are passed (IUSR_MACHINENAME). Is
it possible to obtain the user credential on the anonymous site or is
there another way to acoomplish this

Thanks

Charlie Nilsson [MSFT]

I think you're confusing authentication types.

Read this msdn article, "IIS Authentication" on the subject or search
online on msdn.
ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.MSDNQTR.2003FEB.1033/vsent7/html/vxconIISAuthentic
ation.htm

At some point, you will need to gather authentication information from the
user (i.e. they will have to enter a username / pwd). Why use two servers
when one will suffice?

LinuxLivz

I think you're confusing authentication types.

Read this msdn article, "IIS Authentication" on the subject or search
online on msdn.
ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.MSDNQTR.2003FEB.1033/vsent7/html/vxconIISAuthentic
ation.htm

At some point, you will need to gather authentication information from the
user (i.e. they will have to enter a username / pwd). Why use two servers
when one will suffice?

This reply is provided AS IS, without warranty (express or implied).

--------------------

Thanks for your response. I understand auth types, NTLM works well for
windows domain acounts, what about other OSes? The thinking is to
perform auth without the annoyin pop-up dialog. I think, to condense
the question, it would be can one make the auth pop up dialog go away
if user is not in a Windows domain

Thaks

Charlie Nilsson [MSFT]

Right, Linux machines do not support NTLM natively (though Mozilla *was*
trying to get it to function properly, though I don't think they're working
on that anymore). I'm unaware of any method for getting your Linux
clients to send authentication info along with the HTTP request to IIS (or
respond with the user's correct Windows Domain credentials during challenge
/ response).
I'm afraid you'll have to re-think your security settings in IIS.

--
CharlieN
VSU

originated.

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (LinuxLivz)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
Subject: Re: HttpWebRequest and 401
Date: 29 Jan 2004 14:39:35 -0800

(e-mail address removed) (Charlie Nilsson [MSFT]) wrote in
message news: said:
I think you're confusing authentication types.

Read this msdn article, "IIS Authentication" on the subject or search
online on msdn.
ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.MSDNQTR.2003FEB.1033/vsent7/html/vxconIISAuthentic
ation.htm

At some point, you will need to gather authentication information from the
user (i.e. they will have to enter a username / pwd). Why use two servers
when one will suffice?

Thanks for your response. I understand auth types, NTLM works well for
windows domain acounts, what about other OSes? The thinking is to
perform auth without the annoyin pop-up dialog. I think, to condense
the question, it would be can one make the auth pop up dialog go away
if user is not in a Windows domain

Thaks

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

You should be able to use Basic authentication (with SSL for safety of
course). Basic authentication headers are easy to build on just about any
platform. Plus, you can send them with the original request
(pre-authenticate) to avoid the challenge/response.

However, if NTLM/Kerberos is required for the Web Service, then Charlie is
absolutely right.

Joe K.

From: (e-mail address removed) (LinuxLivz)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
Date: 29 Jan 2004 14:39:35 -0800

message news: said:
I think you're confusing authentication types.

Read this msdn article, "IIS Authentication" on the subject or search
online on msdn.
ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.MSDNQTR.2003FEB.1033/vsent7/html/vxconIISAuthenticcpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!po