Huge challenge in retrieve data using ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Marco Alting, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. Marco Alting

    Marco Alting Guest

    Hi

    I'm developing a hierachy system that needs display data from a database,
    summing from the lowest level up. The difficulty is, there are also multiple
    columns across, I'll try to show it below:

    col1 col2
    col3 col4 col5
    Level1
    Level1.2
    Level1.3
    Item1
    Item2
    Item3
    Level2
    Level2.2
    Level2.3
    Item1
    Item2
    Item3

    What I've tried to draw above is best to think of as sort of a spreadsheet.
    Each value of the items at Level1.3 should be summed at Level1.3 and each
    LevelX.3 should sum to the level above. Preferably the whole thing should be
    collapsable in the browser, but thats another thing. The data that comes
    from the database is at the Item level (each Item represents a record in the
    table holding the fields col1, col2, col3, col4, col5).

    I hope this makes sense to someone out here, because I doesn't to me
    anymore! Please help me out here...

    Thanks

    Marco Alting, Aug 26, 2003

  2. Marco Alting

    Mark Henri Guest

    It sounds a little bit like you're trying to do a normal level break report
    but I can't tell from your description. Maybe these will help:

    Check out Morten's Javascript Tree Menu at --
    http://www.treemenu.com/

    Check out the 'GROUP BY' clause for your SQL. It may also help to get
    things close to what you need. Otherwise, you'll just be handling the
    totalling yourself in the code.

    Mark Henri, Aug 26, 2003

  3. Marco Alting

    Marco Alting Guest

    Thanks Mark! I think it is a level breakdown report, but my difficulty
    is that I have to do it bottom up. I also looked at Tree Menu, which is
    a good piece of software, but in my solution the menu-item must have
    multiple columns across to show the values sort of like this:

    Item col1 col2 col3 col4 col5
    xxx val1 val2 val3 val4 val5

    and since Tree Menu uses another frame to display the content, I will
    not align properly with the menu item.

    Marco Alting, Aug 27, 2003