    I have a web method that return a huge dataset (2Mb). I am interested to
    know if there is a method to maximize the transfer speed of this dateset
    over the internet.

    Darie Florin, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Darie Florin

    Marsh Lion Guest

    "Darie Florin" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a web method that return a huge dataset (2Mb). I am interested

    > know if there is a method to maximize the transfer speed of this dateset
    > over the internet.

    I have been investigating this for some time and the best solution I have
    come accross is to compress the dataset (I'm still ironing out some minor
    details in mine) and decompress it once downloaded. I know that your average
    56k modem will compress it during the transfer, but it is generally better
    to use your own compression scheme/library (as this will make sure that
    faster internet connections will also use compression).

    As a side issue I haven't found any compression functions built into Visual
    Studio (.NET) and my research on the net has said that VB doesn't have any
    built in functions that support the zip format. The compression library I am
    using is zlib (www.zlib.org).

    --
    Marsh Lion aka Brian Barnes

    Marsh Lion, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Darie Florin

    Darie Florin Guest

    Thanks for your idea,
    I used this library for my dataset and a method that download the dataset in
    3-4 Min now dowload in 5-6 Seconds and the time for
    compression/decompression is verry small.

    Darie Florin, Jun 26, 2004