huge help for interactive python

Discussion in 'Python' started by David S., Feb 16, 2005.

  1. David S.

    David S. Guest

    If you are using ipython on Windows then you will
    have made sure you have Gary Bishop's readline
    library as instructed in the ipython install
    directions found at:
    http://ipython.scipy.org/

    Even if you use the standard commandline tool,
    installing readline makes the basic command line a
    lot easier to use. (For some reason, I much
    prefer it to IDLE or any of the other GUI-wrapped
    interpreters.)

    I could not find a list of the keyboard commands
    that readline supports, so I generated:

    http://fsinnovations.net/share/keymap.pdf

    NOTES:
    You can checkout the script that generates this at:
    http://fsinnovations.net/share/readlinekeymap.py
    This uses Ken Seehof's Python Cookbook recipe found at:
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/81982
    I am sure it can be improved, but it was easy. By the
    way, it generates LaTeK.

    To install readline, get it at:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/uncpythontools.
    You will also need the ctypes library by
    Thomas Heller, found at:
    http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/ctypes

    David S., Feb 16, 2005