huge number of records

zilzal

Hello all,

I have a problem with my C++ code: (Briefly this is an archive-backup
program.)

I read 10 millions of records at once and write these records to a
text file record by record (in a while loop.) And then i delete the
records.

When record count is small than 4-5 millions everything is ok. But for
the numbers of records when it exceeds 5 millions the problem occurs.
It writes the records to the specified file but doesn't go further and
exit. It seems it breaks down in the while-loop. (it doesn't write any
traces that just after the while-loop). By the way the size of output
text file is 2 GB.

Does anyone know or encounter such a problem?

Ian Collins

zilzal said:
Hello all,

I have a problem with my C++ code: (Briefly this is an archive-backup
program.)

I read 10 millions of records at once and write these records to a
text file record by record (in a while loop.) And then i delete the
records.

When record count is small than 4-5 millions everything is ok. But for
the numbers of records when it exceeds 5 millions the problem occurs.
It writes the records to the specified file but doesn't go further and
exit. It seems it breaks down in the while-loop. (it doesn't write any
traces that just after the while-loop). By the way the size of output
text file is 2 GB.

Does anyone know or encounter such a problem?
Either your system or library isn't configured for large file support.
You will have to look for a platform specific solution.

zilzal

Either your system or library isn't configured for large file support.
You will have to look for a platform specific solution.

You may be right. My environment is Suse Linux. Do you know how to
configure it for large files.

Victor Bazarov

zilzal said:
[..]
Either your system or library isn't configured for large file
support. You will have to look for a platform specific solution.

You may be right. My environment is Suse Linux. Do you know how to
configure it for large files.

Even if Ian does, it's not appropriate to discuss it here. Please
consider asking about this in 'comp.os.linux.*' hierarchy. Or just
google for it, I am sure it's out there.