Hullo :) Property Layer-Backgound-Color doesnt exist!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DJS2C, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. DJS2C

    DJS2C Guest

    Property- layer-background-doesnt exist

    Apparantly.

    Hi people I have seen about :)
    I have a site and have this validation error. You can try firespin.co.uk
    (index and onwards) if you want to see the site im trying to validate.

    Cant I use background colour for my layers surley I can? ( I meen the layer
    I make in DW.)

    The site is an old one as I have changed it to now have H1, H2 etc. I had
    trouble with this when I was making it but now it's fine changing it after
    !?!

    Anyway any light would be good as I cant find it on google/in my books. I am
    leaning code as well so no DW bashing at me lol!

    Cheers Big Ears :)
    James

    DJS2C, Jan 25, 2005

  2. DJS2C wrote:
    > Property- layer-background-doesnt exist

    Please provide the *exact* error message you're getting in the future.

    > I have a site and have this validation error. You can try firespin.co.uk
    > (index and onwards) if you want to see the site im trying to validate.

    Please provide a full URI (<http://www.firespin.co.uk/Index.htm> in this
    case) in the future.

    The problem here is that Dreamweaver is inserting some sort of
    proprietary layer-background-color CSS property in addition to the
    standard background-color one. Take that out.

    By the way, your page has many more problems than that; for instance,
    see what happens when you try adjusting your browser's font size.

    If I were you, I would start over with a hand-coded page and put your
    CSS in a separate file.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 25, 2005

  3. DJS2C

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "DJS2C" <> wrote:

    >Property- layer-background-doesnt exist

    Correct.

    Check the spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/propidx.html

    >Hi people I have seen about :)

    Yes it was a non standard property that only Netscape 4 used and which
    only affected positioned elements ('layers' in Dreamweaver speak, but
    more than <layer>s in Netscape 4 speak, oddly enough).

    The only point in using it was to make Netscape 4 apply the background
    colour to the extra padding area that it added between the CSS padding
    and the border. That was 1998, today is 2005.

    >Cant I use background colour for my layers surley I can? ( I meen the layer
    >I make in DW.)

    Of course you can. Use background-color.

    Be aware that 'layer' is not a well defined term and shouldn't really
    be used.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jan 25, 2005
  4. DJS2C

    DJS2C Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    > DJS2C wrote:
    > > Property- layer-background-doesnt exist

    > Please provide the *exact* error message you're getting in the future.
    >
    > > I have a site and have this validation error. You can try firespin.co.uk
    > > (index and onwards) if you want to see the site im trying to validate.

    > Please provide a full URI (<http://www.firespin.co.uk/Index.htm> in this
    > case) in the future.
    >
    > The problem here is that Dreamweaver is inserting some sort of
    > proprietary layer-background-color CSS property in addition to the
    > standard background-color one. Take that out.
    >
    > By the way, your page has many more problems than that; for instance,
    > see what happens when you try adjusting your browser's font size.
    >
    > If I were you, I would start over with a hand-coded page and put your
    > CSS in a separate file.

    Yeh thanks for the help. I am doing some hand coding / learning at the
    moment. I was quite happy the other week as I had done some nice vailidated
    sites etc and now I feel like im knowhere near where I want to be. But I
    will, still a new kiddie so lots of time :). Im from Print :). Words stayed
    the same size lol , but it's like 'trapping' some of the problems ;)

    Cheers
    James

    DJS2C, Jan 25, 2005
  5. While the city slept, Steve Pugh () feverishly typed...
    > The only point in using it was to make Netscape 4 apply the background
    > colour to the extra padding area that it added between the CSS padding
    > and the border. That was 1998, today is 2005.

    Yup. And the college I worked for still had Netscape 4 as the default
    browser on a lot of the PC's up until sometime last year! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss