Hullo :) Property Layer-Backgound-Color doesnt exist!

DJS2C

Property- layer-background-doesnt exist

Apparantly.

Hi people I have seen about :)
I have a site and have this validation error. You can try firespin.co.uk
(index and onwards) if you want to see the site im trying to validate.

Cant I use background colour for my layers surley I can? ( I meen the layer
I make in DW.)

The site is an old one as I have changed it to now have H1, H2 etc. I had
trouble with this when I was making it but now it's fine changing it after
!?!

Anyway any light would be good as I cant find it on google/in my books. I am
leaning code as well so no DW bashing at me lol!

Cheers Big Ears :)
James

Leif K-Brooks

DJS2C said:
Property- layer-background-doesnt exist

Please provide the *exact* error message you're getting in the future.
I have a site and have this validation error. You can try firespin.co.uk
(index and onwards) if you want to see the site im trying to validate.

Please provide a full URI (<http://www.firespin.co.uk/Index.htm> in this
case) in the future.

The problem here is that Dreamweaver is inserting some sort of
proprietary layer-background-color CSS property in addition to the
standard background-color one. Take that out.

By the way, your page has many more problems than that; for instance,
see what happens when you try adjusting your browser's font size.

If I were you, I would start over with a hand-coded page and put your
CSS in a separate file.

Steve Pugh

DJS2C said:
Property- layer-background-doesnt exist
Correct.

Apparantly.

Check the spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/propidx.html
Hi people I have seen about :)

Yes it was a non standard property that only Netscape 4 used and which
only affected positioned elements ('layers' in Dreamweaver speak, but
more than <layer>s in Netscape 4 speak, oddly enough).

The only point in using it was to make Netscape 4 apply the background
colour to the extra padding area that it added between the CSS padding
and the border. That was 1998, today is 2005.
Cant I use background colour for my layers surley I can? ( I meen the layer
I make in DW.)

Of course you can. Use background-color.

Be aware that 'layer' is not a well defined term and shouldn't really
be used.

Steve

DJS2C

Leif K-Brooks said:
Please provide the *exact* error message you're getting in the future.

Please provide a full URI (<http://www.firespin.co.uk/Index.htm> in this
case) in the future.

The problem here is that Dreamweaver is inserting some sort of
proprietary layer-background-color CSS property in addition to the
standard background-color one. Take that out.

By the way, your page has many more problems than that; for instance,
see what happens when you try adjusting your browser's font size.

If I were you, I would start over with a hand-coded page and put your
CSS in a separate file.

Yeh thanks for the help. I am doing some hand coding / learning at the
moment. I was quite happy the other week as I had done some nice vailidated
sites etc and now I feel like im knowhere near where I want to be. But I
will, still a new kiddie so lots of time :). Im from Print :). Words stayed
the same size lol , but it's like 'trapping' some of the problems ;)

Cheers
James

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Steve Pugh ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
The only point in using it was to make Netscape 4 apply the background
colour to the extra padding area that it added between the CSS padding
and the border. That was 1998, today is 2005.

Yup. And the college I worked for still had Netscape 4 as the default
browser on a lot of the PC's up until sometime last year! ;-)

Cheers,
Nige