Human readable file sizes

Jesús Gabriel y Galán

Hi,

I have a list of files and I need to produce a string containing the
size of each file, but in human readable format. With that I mean
something like what df -h does: make an approximation to the nearest
unit (B, KB, MB, GB, etc). Is this already done somewhere? This is
what I have now:

Find.find(folder) do |file|
match = regexp.match(File.basename(file));
if match
size = File.stat(file).size
puts size # would like a human readable format
end
end

Thanks,

Jesus.

Jesús Gabriel y Galán

Simon Kröger

Jesús Gabriel y Galán said:
Hi,

I have a list of files and I need to produce a string containing the
size of each file, but in human readable format. With that I mean
something like what df -h does: make an approximation to the nearest
unit (B, KB, MB, GB, etc). Is this already done somewhere? This is
what I have now:

Find.find(folder) do |file|
match = regexp.match(File.basename(file));
if match
size = File.stat(file).size
puts size # would like a human readable format
end
end

Thanks,

Jesus.

Like this:

class Numeric
def to_human
units = %w{B KB MB GB TB}
e = (Math.log(self)/Math.log(1024)).floor
s = "%.3f" % (to_f / 1024**e)
s.sub(/\.?0*$/, units[e])
end
end

Note: this may be not 100% correct for very large values (like TB) because
Math.log uses floating point arithmetic.

cheers

Simon

William James

Hi,

I have a list of files and I need to produce a string containing the
size of each file, but in human readable format. With that I mean
something like what df -h does: make an approximation to the nearest
unit (B, KB, MB, GB, etc). Is this already done somewhere? This is
what I have now:

Find.find(folder) do |file|
match = regexp.match(File.basename(file));
if match
size = File.stat(file).size
puts size # would like a human readable format
end
end

Thanks,

Jesus.

def kilo n
count = 0
while n >= 1024 and count < 4
n /= 1024.0
count += 1
end
format("%.2f",n) + %w(B KB MB GB TB)[count]
end

[1,1024,1_000_000,8_000_000,9_000_000_000,
3_000_000_000_000].each{|n|
puts kilo(n)
}