Human verifiable image of numbers, for CGI

brendan

hi all,

I want to make sure it's a human posting to my webpage, by doing what
PayPal (and lots of other websites) now do: displaying a bitmap of
some numbers and asking the user to enter these numbers.

Are there any Perl scripts and/or tutorials explaining how to do this?

thanks!

Jürgen Exner

brendan said:
I want to make sure it's a human posting to my webpage, by doing what
PayPal (and lots of other websites) now do: displaying a bitmap of
some numbers and asking the user to enter these numbers.

Are there any Perl scripts and/or tutorials explaining how to do this?

What do you mean by "this"?
- displaying a bitmap? no. Well, I guess you could use Perl-Tk or something
similar
- creating a graphic which contains text or digits: Sure, there are several
modules on CPAN. The first one on my list would be Image::Magick

jue

James Willmore

hi all,

I want to make sure it's a human posting to my webpage, by doing what
PayPal (and lots of other websites) now do: displaying a bitmap of
some numbers and asking the user to enter these numbers.

Are there any Perl scripts and/or tutorials explaining how to do this?

Have a look at the GD module. This will help in creating an image.

HTH

Jim

Gregory Toomey

It was a dark and stormy night, and James Willmore managed to scribble:
(e-mail address removed) (brendan) wrote in message

Have a look at the GD module. This will help in creating an image.

HTH

Jim

Itsa simple. You could probably use
1. Set up a background image eg $im = newFromGif GD::Image()
(assuming you use a gif)
2. write your chars eg $im->string()

gtoomey

Eric J. Roode

Randal L. Schwartz

brendan> I want to make sure it's a human posting to my webpage, by doing what
brendan> PayPal (and lots of other websites) now do: displaying a bitmap of
brendan> some numbers and asking the user to enter these numbers.

brendan> Are there any Perl scripts and/or tutorials explaining how to do this?

Like many hundreds of other topics, "I have a column on this already":

"Keep Robots From Stuffing Your Forms" -
<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col68.html>

Beware that I got some angry mail from people who said that this
may not be ADA compliant, and is rude to unsighted people.