Humble little XSL Firefox extension

Discussion in 'XML' started by Brett, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. Brett

    Brett Guest

    Howdy folks,

    I have released an extension for Firefox which performs XSL transforms
    for an XML file. While Firefox automatically performs XSL transforms
    when an XSL stylesheet is attached via a <?xml-stylesheet?> processing
    instruction, when you "view source", you can only see the original XML
    file. This extension works somewhat similar to Microsoft's plugin for
    Explorer (at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...2c-1571-4d61-bda8-adf9f6849df9&displaylang=en
    ) in allowing you to view the actual output.

    My Firefox extension works on a currently loaded XML file, and applies
    an XSL stylesheet that the user chooses via a dialog box. It can be
    via a URL (http://), through the file protocol (file:///), or a local
    file (C:\...). I haven't tested it on Mac or Linux.

    Before this extension can be released, it first needs to get some
    reviews, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could take a look. If
    there are any problems, feel free to post a reply here (so that I can
    fix any major bugs and still have a chance of getting the extension
    accepted!), and if you like it, just go ahead and add a review here:
    Brett, Jun 5, 2007

  2. Brett

    Brett Guest

    Oh, one caveat... It doesn't work with XSL files that use <xsl:import>
    or <xsl:include>...
    Brett, Jun 5, 2007

  3. Brett

    Brett Guest

    On Jun 5, 5:24 pm, Brett <> wrote:
    > Oh, one caveat... It doesn't work with XSL files that use <xsl:import>
    > or <xsl:include>...

    Sorry, one more thing... it does work with <xsl:import> and
    <xsl:include> if in a URL, but not when loading with a local file.
    And, I tested it on a Mac, and it works fine with a URL, but not with
    a local file...
    Brett, Jun 5, 2007
  4. Brett wrote:

    > I have released an extension for Firefox which performs XSL transforms
    > for an XML file. While Firefox automatically performs XSL transforms
    > when an XSL stylesheet is attached via a <?xml-stylesheet?> processing
    > instruction, when you "view source", you can only see the original XML
    > file.

    If you do "Select all (Ctrl-a)" and then "view selection source" you get
    the result source view, without the need for an extension.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Jun 5, 2007
  5. Brett

    Brett Guest

    Well, I'll be... :) Thanks for that one... Not too obvious a feature
    to find...

    Well, it was a learning experience anyways... And I suppose the
    extension could still be useful if you visit an XML page without a
    stylesheet attached and want to try one out...
    Brett, Jun 5, 2007