hunting for ideas brings nothing new

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I spent several hours last night going through numerous freeware and
    javascript ideas for web galleries.
    Most all of them were based on the same theme.
    That is, thumbnails were displayed on a page, clicking on one shows the
    larger image on the new page, which in turn, generates a new partial listing
    of thumbs with a stock <previous.....index.....next> header.
    Some opened a new window for the larger image.
    All but one or two, used tables for display and the coding was nearly the
    same.
    The other one or two used frames.

    I tried out one innovative technique found at dynamicdrive.com but couldn't
    get the coding to accept my images.

    I will eventually find the answer to make my idea work.

    Column1.......................Column2......................Column3
    List of "pages"..............Thumbnails..................Big picture.

    All in divisions, of course.
    Richard, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Richard

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I spent several hours last night going through numerous freeware and
    > javascript ideas for web galleries.
    > Most all of them were based on the same theme.
    > That is, thumbnails were displayed on a page, clicking on one shows the
    > larger image on the new page, which in turn, generates a new partial listing
    > of thumbs with a stock <previous.....index.....next> header.
    > Some opened a new window for the larger image.
    > All but one or two, used tables for display and the coding was nearly the
    > same.
    > The other one or two used frames.
    >
    > I tried out one innovative technique found at dynamicdrive.com but couldn't
    > get the coding to accept my images.
    >
    > I will eventually find the answer to make my idea work.
    >
    > Column1.......................Column2......................Column3
    > List of "pages"..............Thumbnails..................Big picture.
    >
    > All in divisions, of course.

    http://digitalharmony.no-ip.com/subhuman10/gallery/

    This is the one I put together with the help of a free Flash movie
    called "SimpleViewer". It's really cool. I had to write a back end for
    it to generate the XML (in ASP). Obviously only one bit of it works
    right now, but the back end is fully functional.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 22, 2004

  3. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:29:25 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    wrote:

    >I will eventually find the answer to make my idea work.
    >
    >Column1.......................Column2......................Column3
    >List of "pages"..............Thumbnails..................Big picture.
    >
    >All in divisions, of course.

    Are you really saying that you want the whole gallery to be contained
    in one HTML file? So all the thimbnails and all the full size pictures
    need to be downloaded in one go?

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Dec 22, 2004
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> I spent several hours last night going through numerous freeware and
    >> javascript ideas for web galleries.
    >> Most all of them were based on the same theme.
    >> That is, thumbnails were displayed on a page, clicking on one shows the
    >> larger image on the new page, which in turn, generates a new partial
    >> listing of thumbs with a stock <previous.....index.....next> header. Some
    >> opened a new window for the larger image. All but one or two, used tables
    >> for display and the coding was nearly the same. The other one or two used
    >> frames. I tried out one innovative technique found at dynamicdrive.com
    >> but couldn't get the coding to accept my images. I will eventually find
    >> the answer to make my idea
    >> work. Column1...................Column2......................Column3 List
    >> of "pages"..............Thumbnails..................Big picture. All in
    >> divisions, of course.

    > http://digitalharmony.no-ip.com/subhuman10/gallery/

    > This is the one I put together with the help of a free Flash movie
    > called "SimpleViewer". It's really cool. I had to write a back end for
    > it to generate the XML (in ASP). Obviously only one bit of it works
    > right now, but the back end is fully functional.

    I'll take the redhead any day.
    Sorry, but I don't want to use flash.

    I had a brief meeting with the "Kinks" once at a college show.
    Working as a security officer they came in at my door and I had to really
    look up to the gal.
    She stands like 6'6" easily.
    Richard, Dec 22, 2004
  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:29:25 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    > wrote:

    >>I will eventually find the answer to make my idea work.
    >>
    >>Column1.......................Column2......................Column3
    >>List of "pages"..............Thumbnails..................Big picture.
    >>
    >>All in divisions, of course.

    > Are you really saying that you want the whole gallery to be contained
    > in one HTML file? So all the thimbnails and all the full size pictures
    > need to be downloaded in one go?

    > Steve

    Only the thumbs would be loaded which would only be 2kb in size.
    If need be, other pages could be created.
    The stuff I saw either opened in a new window, which I do not want, or
    posted the larger image in the center of the screen with a few thumbs above
    it.
    I do have a thing called "tooltip" which can overlay the larger image over
    the current page.
    But I'd rather have the image displayed in a seperate division.
    Richard, Dec 22, 2004
  6. Richard

    paul Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > I spent several hours last night going through numerous freeware and
    > javascript ideas for web galleries.
    > Most all of them were based on the same theme....

    I've got my PHP driven gallery working pretty well now:
    http://www.edgehill.net/1/

    It's not intended for distribution, I'm an ameteur programmer but maybe
    gives you some ideas.

    It gives only 6 thumbnails on top & the big picture below which should
    fit on most screens without scrolling & not require much to load.

    It's designed for many frequently added galleries in nested folders in
    categories and is pretty easy to navigate IMO. I only need to resize my
    pics & create thumbnails in a 'thumbs' subfolder using irfanview then
    dump them up on ftp. The PHP scripts format it all from there.

    The URL's are still awfully long unfortunately.

    At home I have a form interface for creating annotations with simple
    text files that match the jpg file names. I manually create index.txt
    files where I want some additional info to appear for the whole page and
    title.txt files where I want a bit more control of the folder name. If
    there are no pictures or index, it lists the file contents, if there is
    an index.htm, it makes a link to that. For folders with no pictures,
    only subfolders, I create a thumbs subfolder with one small pic to give
    it a thumbnail image.

    It would be possible to have php resize the images & create the thumbnails.

    I did use some tables to get around some formatting problems but it's
    mostly CSS based with wrapping shrinking divs.

    If you had only a few galleries, it would be possible to run such a
    script on your PC & direct the output to static html pages. Someone
    could set up a web page to generate this for people from the web also.

    Here's another example of a similar approach:
    http://www.porjes.com/bruciebugs/bugs.php?style=02
    paul, Dec 22, 2004
  7. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:36:37 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    wrote:
    > Steve Pugh wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:29:25 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    >> wrote:

    >>>I will eventually find the answer to make my idea work.
    >>>
    >>>Column1.......................Column2......................Column3
    >>>List of "pages"..............Thumbnails..................Big picture.
    >>>
    >>>All in divisions, of course.

    >> Are you really saying that you want the whole gallery to be contained
    >> in one HTML file? So all the thimbnails and all the full size pictures
    >> need to be downloaded in one go?

    >Only the thumbs would be loaded which would only be 2kb in size.

    So the big picture would not be on the same page. So why describe it
    as being displayed in a column on the same page?

    If you are planning to use a JavaScript that only calls in the big
    picture when it's needed then you'll have a delay before it can be
    displayed. If you're planning to preload all the big pictures then
    you're back to a huge initial download.

    A page containing the big picture plus minimal links (with a
    stylesheet and furniture images that will already be cached) will only
    be a slightly larger download than the image alone and will work when
    JavaScript isn't available.

    >If need be, other pages could be created.

    Good idea. Or use a server side language so that pages can be created
    on the fly using a common template.

    You were pointed towards brucie's butterflies demo back in January.
    Simply rearrange that as you like, adding multiple galleries and
    styling it into columns.

    >The stuff I saw either opened in a new window, which I do not want,

    Okay.

    >or posted the larger image in the center of the screen with a few thumbs above
    >it.

    So what? That's pure presentation. No need to look for an entirely
    different technology just because you want to change the way something
    is laid out.

    >I do have a thing called "tooltip" which can overlay the larger image over
    >the current page.
    >But I'd rather have the image displayed in a seperate division.

    The difference is purely presentational. I'll bet that your 'tooltip'
    is a <div>.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Dec 22, 2004
  8. Richard

    paul Guest

    paul wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> I spent several hours last night going through numerous freeware and
    >> javascript ideas for web galleries.

    Ah, I didn't notice your name at first, we've had this converstion
    already <grin>. Anyways I'm curious if anything else comes up.
    CodedColor is another gallery generator & image browser which is not
    quite free, it has a pretty fancy menu for nested galleries & automatic
    slide shows, resizing, CSS control, etc but it's still awfully klunky
    looking without major adjustments.
    paul, Dec 22, 2004
  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    paul wrote:

    > Richard wrote:

    >> I spent several hours last night going through numerous freeware and
    >> javascript ideas for web galleries.
    >> Most all of them were based on the same theme....

    > I've got my PHP driven gallery working pretty well now:
    > http://www.edgehill.net/1/

    > It's not intended for distribution, I'm an ameteur programmer but maybe
    > gives you some ideas.

    > It gives only 6 thumbnails on top & the big picture below which should
    > fit on most screens without scrolling & not require much to load.

    > It's designed for many frequently added galleries in nested folders in
    > categories and is pretty easy to navigate IMO. I only need to resize my
    > pics & create thumbnails in a 'thumbs' subfolder using irfanview then
    > dump them up on ftp. The PHP scripts format it all from there.

    > The URL's are still awfully long unfortunately.

    > At home I have a form interface for creating annotations with simple
    > text files that match the jpg file names. I manually create index.txt
    > files where I want some additional info to appear for the whole page and
    > title.txt files where I want a bit more control of the folder name. If
    > there are no pictures or index, it lists the file contents, if there is
    > an index.htm, it makes a link to that. For folders with no pictures,
    > only subfolders, I create a thumbs subfolder with one small pic to give
    > it a thumbnail image.

    > It would be possible to have php resize the images & create the
    > thumbnails.

    > I did use some tables to get around some formatting problems but it's
    > mostly CSS based with wrapping shrinking divs.

    > If you had only a few galleries, it would be possible to run such a
    > script on your PC & direct the output to static html pages. Someone
    > could set up a web page to generate this for people from the web also.

    > Here's another example of a similar approach:
    > http://www.porjes.com/bruciebugs/bugs.php?style=02

    Your gallery is the same basic design as the others only done in php.
    Brucie's approach is similar to what I had in mind, but many freesites like
    geocities don't like php.
    Richard, Dec 22, 2004
  10. Richard

    Oli Filth Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > paul wrote:
    >

    >>Richard wrote:

    >>>I spent several hours last night going through numerous freeware and
    >>>javascript ideas for web galleries.
    >>>Most all of them were based on the same theme....

    >>I've got my PHP driven gallery working pretty well now:
    >>http://www.edgehill.net/1/

    >>It's not intended for distribution, I'm an ameteur programmer but maybe
    >>gives you some ideas.

    >>It gives only 6 thumbnails on top & the big picture below which should
    >>fit on most screens without scrolling & not require much to load.

    >>It's designed for many frequently added galleries in nested folders in
    >>categories and is pretty easy to navigate IMO. I only need to resize my
    >>pics & create thumbnails in a 'thumbs' subfolder using irfanview then
    >>dump them up on ftp. The PHP scripts format it all from there.

    >>The URL's are still awfully long unfortunately.

    >>At home I have a form interface for creating annotations with simple
    >>text files that match the jpg file names. I manually create index.txt
    >>files where I want some additional info to appear for the whole page and
    >>title.txt files where I want a bit more control of the folder name. If
    >>there are no pictures or index, it lists the file contents, if there is
    >>an index.htm, it makes a link to that. For folders with no pictures,
    >>only subfolders, I create a thumbs subfolder with one small pic to give
    >>it a thumbnail image.

    >>It would be possible to have php resize the images & create the
    >>thumbnails.

    >>I did use some tables to get around some formatting problems but it's
    >>mostly CSS based with wrapping shrinking divs.

    >>If you had only a few galleries, it would be possible to run such a
    >>script on your PC & direct the output to static html pages. Someone
    >>could set up a web page to generate this for people from the web also.

    >>Here's another example of a similar approach:
    >>http://www.porjes.com/bruciebugs/bugs.php?style=02

    > Your gallery is the same basic design as the others only done in php.
    > Brucie's approach is similar to what I had in mind, but many freesites like
    > geocities don't like php.

    The two websites are exactly the same principle, just different layout!
    If you want a different layout (e.g. using DIVs as you've said
    previously), make one! It's no different to making any other page that
    uses DIVs.

    If you don't want to use PHP (or ASP or whatever), then you'll either
    have to make a load of static HTML pages (one for each image) which is a
    huge waste, or you'll have to go with some JavaScript idea, which won't
    degrade nicely.

    Your best bet is to go with PHP, either be prepared to pay something for
    the functionality you want, or find a free host that has PHP (they do
    exist).

    Oli
    Oli Filth, Dec 22, 2004
  11. Richard

    C.W. Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:46:56 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    wrote:

    >Your gallery is the same basic design as the others only done in php.
    >Brucie's approach is similar to what I had in mind, but many freesites like
    >geocities don't like php.

    From my understanding GeoCities will handle PHP. They won't handle CGI
    though.

    http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/
    This link, found under Yahoo! GeoCities Basics, shares the list of
    file types supposted:
    http://us.geocities.yahoo.com/v/filetypes.html

    Right now I use the method found on alistapart to pull off something
    similar to Brucie's butterfly or bugs effect; after January I will be
    tinkering to use his method on those pages.

    Carol
    C.W., Dec 22, 2004