Hyperlink color problem in ASP page link

Janet

The following html code appears in an ASP page. The hyperlink is set to
white (see the page link color), but when the page renders in IE 6.0, it
initially appears in maroon with a white border around it. When the user
clicks anywhere on the page, it turns white. Does anybody know how I can
make it appear white when the page first renders?

Response.Write("<html><body bgcolor=""#000000"" link=""#FFFFFF""
vlink=""#FFFFFF"">")

Response.Write("<font color=""#B7CACA"" face=""Arial"" size=""3"">")

Response.Write("<p></p>")

Response.Write("<p align=""center""><font face=""Arial"" size=""3""><a

Response.Write("</body></html>")

Adrienne

The following html code appears in an ASP page. The hyperlink is set
to white (see the page link color), but when the page renders in IE
6.0, it initially appears in maroon with a white border around it.
When the user clicks anywhere on the page, it turns white. Does
anybody know how I can make it appear white when the page first
renders?

Response.Write("<html><body bgcolor=""#000000"" link=""#FFFFFF""
vlink=""#FFFFFF"">")

Response.Write("<font color=""#B7CACA"" face=""Arial""
size=""3"">")

Response.Write("<p></p>")

Response.Write("<p align=""center""><font face=""Arial""
size=""3""><a
target=""_blank"" href=""../linkpage.htm"">Click this

Response.Write("</body></html>")

Oh, my! Why oh why! There is no reason to do all this response.write,
just drop out of your script and write plain HTML markup. As a matter of
fact, the snippet above does not even have any reason to use scripting at
all.

Having said that, you need to separate content from presentation. Get rid
of depreciated markup, like FONT and remove the presentational attributes
from the BODY element. By using CSS, you can a) only have to change one
document to change the entire site, b) reduce the size of documents for
faster loading on the client side, c) make debugging a lot easier on
yourself.

See http://www.w3schools.com/css/ for more information on CSS and how to
implement it. The specs are available at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ ,
and you might find http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/ informative as
well.

Janet

Adrienne,

Thanks for your reply, but I must explain. The code is being written by an
asp page within the auspices of Windows Media Rights Manager, and it
displays in the popup html page supplied by Windows Media Player. It has no
choice but to write through "Response.Write," and as far as I know it can't
use a style sheet. So assuming I'm forced to use the simple html syntax
shown below, do you know why the hyperlink doesn't show in its designated
color when the page first generates? Other simple html code I've written
doesn't have this problem. If there's no other way, maybe I can coerce it
to use a style sheet, but it's one-off page for a specialized purpose.

I should have explained that earlier. Thanks again for any ideas you may
have.

Janet

JDS

It has no
choice but to write through "Response.Write," and as far as I know it can't
use a style sheet. So assuming I'm forced to use the simple html syntax
shown below, do you know why the hyperlink doesn't show in its designated
color when the page first generates?

Do you HAVE to use <font>? Could you instead do in-line styles?

i.e. replace <font...> with <span style="color:red"> or somesuch?

Janet

Thanks for the suggestion. The answer turned out to be the missing "alink"
(for active link). When I added ""alink=#FFFFFF"" to the body header, the
link showed correctly. The span tag didn't work, most likely because this
line deals with a hyperlink, not regular text.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

Janet

Jonathan N. Little

Janet said:
Adrienne,

Thanks for your reply, but I must explain. The code is being written by an
asp page within the auspices of Windows Media Rights Manager, and it
displays in the popup html page supplied by Windows Media Player. It has no
choice but to write through "Response.Write," and as far as I know it can't
use a style sheet. So assuming I'm forced to use the simple html syntax
shown below, do you know why the hyperlink doesn't show in its designated
color when the page first generates? Other simple html code I've written
doesn't have this problem. If there's no other way, maybe I can coerce it
to use a style sheet, but it's one-off page for a specialized purpose.

I should have explained that earlier. Thanks again for any ideas you may
have.

Janet

Well since it I can assume that your are 'Response.Write'ing the whole
page since your are opening and closing it here....
then when you 'Response.Write' the start of the page add code to line to
a style sheet and just wire simple code that will not break in the
future when tags like FONT are no longer supported!

Response.Write("<html><head><link rel=""stylesheet"" type=""text/css""
href=""stylesheetforASPpopups.css""></head><body>")

Response.Write("<p>Click the link below:</p>")

Response.Write("<p class="mylinks">Click the link
below:</p>Response.Write("<p><a href=""../linkpage.htm""
target=""_blank"">Click this link</a></p>")

Response.Write("<p>Click the link below:</p>")

Then create stylesheet 'stylesheetforASPpopups.css'

BODY {
background-color: #000000;
color: #B7CACA;
}
A {
background-color: #000000;
color: #FFFFFF;
}
..mylinks {
text-align: center;
}

Then if you don't link your BLACK popups with grayish text and white
links your can just change your stylesheet and you do not have to edit
any of your ASP code....