Hyperlink Column & Helper Function not working

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by D. Shane Fowlkes, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. Hello All.

    I keep asking for help with this on the www.asp.net forums and nobody seems
    to be able to help. What I'm trying to accomplish is very simple. I simply
    want to create a Hyperlink Column in a Datagrid and reformat the text output
    of the column. The helper function seems to be working but the hyperlink
    column isn't properly being render into html. The actual hyperlink web
    control is showing up in the html when tested on two unique servers.

    I'd be grateful if someone here could help! Thanks!
    -Shane Fowlkes

    Test Page: http://www.vrmca.com/membership/producers.aspx

    My Code:
    Function EncryptSpaces(Company As String) As String
    Company = Replace(Company," ","%20")
    Return Company
    End Function

    ....etc.....

    <form runat="server">
    <asp:datagrid id="dgProducers" runat="server"
    HorizontalAlign="Center"
    ...etc.....
    Width="90%">

    <columns>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Company">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:HyperLink NavigateUrl ='<%# "memdetails.aspx?org=" &
    EncryptSpaces(Container.DataItem("Company")) %>'>
    <%# Container.DataItem("Company") %>
    </asp:HyperLink>
    </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>
    <asp:BoundColumn HeaderText="# of Members" DataField="CountOfMember" />
    </columns>
    </asp:datagrid>
    </form>

    **********************************

    And the HTML comes out like.....
    <asp:HyperLink NavigateUrl
    ='memdetails.aspx?org=Hard%20Rock%20Concrete%20LLC'> Hard Rock Concrete
    LLC</asp:HyperLink>
    D. Shane Fowlkes, Nov 19, 2004

  2. I've seen this many times before and what I do is create a function to return
    my complete URL.

    Function EncryptSpaces(Company As String) As String
    Return Server.UrlEncode("memdetails.aspx?org=" & Company)
    End Function

    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:HyperLink NavigateUrl ='<%#
    EncryptSpaces(Container.DataItem("Company")) %>'>
    <%# Container.DataItem("Company") %>
    </asp:HyperLink>
    </ItemTemplate>

    HTH