hyperlink in a ListItem

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Dave,

If you're referring to following ListItem class:

#ListItem Class (System.Web.UI.WebControls)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.listitem.
aspx
Represents a data item in a data-bound list control.

A ListItem control represents an individual data item within a data-bound
list control, such as a ListBox or a RadioButtonList control. The result
HTML that it rendered will depend on who is its container: for a ListBox
control, a ListItem will be rendered as tag <option>; while a
RadioButtonList will render ListItem as tag <input>.

You cannot place a child server control inside its tag. Based on my test,
you could place html tag <a> in its text property if it will be rendered as
tag <input>:

<asp:RadioButtonList ID="rdl1" runat="server">
<asp:ListItem>item1</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem>item2</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem>Click <a href="default.aspx">here</a> for more
info</asp:ListItem>
</asp:RadioButtonList>

<asp:CheckBoxList ID="check1" runat="server">
<asp:ListItem>item1</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem>item2</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem>Click <a href="default.aspx">here</a> for more
info</asp:ListItem>
</asp:CheckBoxList>

Based on your actual requirement, you might want to use other approaches
such as creating custom data bound templated server controls; for example:

#Building DataBound Templated Custom ASP.NET Server Controls

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Well, I'm afraid this is an expected issue when using html tags inside
ListItem. This is a workaround and not documented way to do so.

Normally we need to use a template to add arbitrary server controls or html
tags, for example, when you're using a ItemTemplate inside GridView's
TemplateColumn. For ListItem, it's rather limited and using the workaround
above is really not documented and recommended.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support