Hyperlink template column and change link text based on Condition

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Paul D. Fox, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Paul D. Fox

Paul D. Fox Guest

How do I create a Hyperlink column in a Datagrid which launches a pop-up window, and have the text in the hyperlink change based on a condition? I'm trying to do something like the following:

<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Status">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <a href="Javascript://" onClick="_openApproval(<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Training_Schedule_ID") %>);" >
    <asp:HyperLink ID="lnkApproval"></asp:HyperLink>
    </a>
    </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>

And I suppose I code something in the ItemDataBound to change the Hyperlink's Text? But How?

Paul
    Paul D. Fox, Jun 15, 2005
    1. Advertising

2. Paul D. Fox

Kim Quigley Guest

Paul,

There are a number of ways you can accomplish what you are asking, but the best solution depends on what part of the link you're trying to change and what the conditions are. If your onClick code isn't going to change and you only want to modify the link text, then this is what I recommend putting in the ItemDataBound method:

If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Item Or e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
    If something then
    CType(e.Item.Cells(YourColumnID).FindControl("LinkLabel"), Label).Text = 'something
    End If
    End If

Your column would need to look like this

<asp:TemplateColumn>
    <ItemTemplate>
    <a href="Javascript://" onClick='alert(<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Training_Schedule_ID") %>);'><asp:Label id=LinkLabel runat="server" text="Unchanged Text"></asp:Label></a>
    </ItemTemplate>

"Paul D. Fox" <> wrote in message news:...
    How do I create a Hyperlink column in a Datagrid which launches a pop-up window, and have the text in the hyperlink change based on a condition? I'm trying to do something like the following:

<ItemTemplate>
    <a href="Javascript://" onClick="_openApproval(<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Training_Schedule_ID") %>);" >
    </a>
    </ItemTemplate>

And I suppose I code something in the ItemDataBound to change the Hyperlink's Text? But How?

Paul
    Kim Quigley, Jun 16, 2005
    1. Advertising

3. Paul D. Fox

Paul D. Fox Guest

Thanks Kim, that was a big help however, I had to resort to:
    "If e.Item.ItemType <> ListItemType.Header And e.Item.ItemType <> ListItemType.Footer Then"

In order for it to properly execute. I don't understand why your IF statement failed.

Paul
    "Kim Quigley" <> wrote in message news:...
    Paul,

There are a number of ways you can accomplish what you are asking, but the best solution depends on what part of the link you're trying to change and what the conditions are. If your onClick code isn't going to change and you only want to modify the link text, then this is what I recommend putting in the ItemDataBound method:

If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Item Or e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
    If something then
    CType(e.Item.Cells(YourColumnID).FindControl("LinkLabel"), Label).Text = 'something
    End If
    End If

<ItemTemplate>
    <a href="Javascript://" onClick='alert(<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Training_Schedule_ID") %>);'><asp:Label id=LinkLabel runat="server" text="Unchanged Text"></asp:Label></a>
    </ItemTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>
    </a>
    </ItemTemplate>

Paul
    Paul D. Fox, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Paul D. Fox

Kim Quigley Guest

I'm glad you were able to figure it out :)
    "Paul D. Fox" <> wrote in message news:%...
    Thanks Kim, that was a big help however, I had to resort to:
    "If e.Item.ItemType <> ListItemType.Header And e.Item.ItemType <> ListItemType.Footer Then"

In order for it to properly execute. I don't understand why your IF statement failed.

Paul
    "Kim Quigley" <> wrote in message news:...
    Paul,

If something then
    End If
    End If

<ItemTemplate>
    </ItemTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>
    </a>
    </ItemTemplate>

Paul
    Kim Quigley, Jun 16, 2005
    1. Advertising