Hyperlink that Posts (instead of Get)?

Fernie

Hello,

I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.

1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
scripting disabled.
2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted (on
the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
may mess up the hyperlink.

I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a way
to post a hyperlink.

Please advise,

Fernie

Mitja

Hello,

I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.

1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
scripting disabled.
2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted
(on
the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
may mess up the hyperlink.

I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a
way
to post a hyperlink.

Why did you ask virtually the same question two times?
Number (2) is easily doable; since you're obviously using a server-side
scripting language, have a look at its reference and find out how to
encode URLs. This is done frequently; e.g. I'm sure you've noted URLs
containg %20 (=an encoded space) before.

Hywel Jenkins

Hello,

I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.

1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
scripting disabled.
2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted (on
the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
may mess up the hyperlink.

I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a way
to post a hyperlink.

What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

Dylan Parry

Hywel said:
What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

It might be possible to do something using a bit of Javascript, but with
a fallback for those without scripting...

Something like a link created with document.write() that contains some
sort of form.submit() method in its onclick attribute, but with a
<noscript> alternative immediately following that link that contains a
regular <input type="submit"> just in case scripting is disabled. Of
course, this button could be styled as Hywel suggests.

Bear in mind that I don't know Javascript very well enough to give you
the exact code you require, but I do know that what I suggest is possible.

Oli Filth

Fernie said:
Hello,

I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.

1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
scripting disabled.
2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted (on
the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
may mess up the hyperlink.

I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a way
to post a hyperlink.

Please advise,

Fernie

Why do you want to post something that hasn't come from a form? If you're
worried about "illegal" characters, then that's easy enough to get round at the
server-side, e.g. urlencode() in PHP.

Oli

Fernie

What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

Coming back to your response, I wanted to say that I do use buttons to post.
But I have a situation where I'd like to show data as simple 'clickable'
text. When clicked data contained in hidden fields is posted.

I do think that I've got enough feedback to my problem to begin working on a
solution.

Regards,

Fernie

Fernie

Mitja said:
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:11:13 GMT, Fernie <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net>
Number (2) is easily doable; since you're obviously using a server-side
scripting language, have a look at its reference and find out how to
encode URLs. This is done frequently; e.g. I'm sure you've noted URLs
containg %20 (=an encoded space) before.

Thank you very much, I'll be looking into this.

Although I really wish that I could post via a hyperlink (without
implementing client side scripting), it does not appear to be possible.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Fernie

Fernie

Hywel Jenkins said:
What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

Hywel,

I'm beginning to feel comfortable with HTML, so CSS is totally forign to me.
But I'll keep your suggestion in mind in the event that I can't get things
working right.

Regards,

Fernie

Mitja

Although I really wish that I could post via a hyperlink (without
implementing client side scripting), it does not appear to be possible.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, it cannot be done using solely HTML.