Hyperlink that Posts (instead of Get)?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Fernie, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. Fernie

    Fernie Guest

    Hello,

    I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
    where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.

    1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
    scripting disabled.
    2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted (on
    the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
    may mess up the hyperlink.

    I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a way
    to post a hyperlink.

    Please advise,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com
    Fernie, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Fernie

    Mitja Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:11:13 GMT, Fernie <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net>
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
    > where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.
    >
    > 1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
    > scripting disabled.
    > 2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted
    > (on
    > the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
    > may mess up the hyperlink.
    >
    > I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a
    > way
    > to post a hyperlink.

    Why did you ask virtually the same question two times?
    Number (2) is easily doable; since you're obviously using a server-side
    scripting language, have a look at its reference and find out how to
    encode URLs. This is done frequently; e.g. I'm sure you've noted URLs
    containg %20 (=an encoded space) before.

    --
    Mitja
    Mitja, Dec 19, 2004

  3. In article <98BC77E892B8E240Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net>,
    Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
    > where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.
    >
    > 1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
    > scripting disabled.
    > 2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted (on
    > the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
    > may mess up the hyperlink.
    >
    > I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a way
    > to post a hyperlink.

    What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
    using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Fernie

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
    > using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

    It might be possible to do something using a bit of Javascript, but with
    a fallback for those without scripting...

    Something like a link created with document.write() that contains some
    sort of form.submit() method in its onclick attribute, but with a
    <noscript> alternative immediately following that link that contains a
    regular <input type="submit"> just in case scripting is disabled. Of
    course, this button could be styled as Hywel suggests.

    Bear in mind that I don't know Javascript very well enough to give you
    the exact code you require, but I do know that what I suggest is possible.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Dec 19, 2004
  5. Fernie

    Oli Filth Guest

    Fernie wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm currently posting via html buttons and images. I have a circumstance
    > where I'd like to post via a hyperlink.
    >
    > 1) I don't want to use a scripting solution because the user may have
    > scripting disabled.
    > 2) I don't want to use fat urls because my form variables are encrypted (on
    > the server) and I don't want to worry about illegal ascii characters that
    > may mess up the hyperlink.
    >
    > I really don't want to use images or buttons and I hope that there is a way
    > to post a hyperlink.
    >
    > Please advise,
    >
    > Fernie
    >

    > --
    >
    > ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

    Why do you want to post something that hasn't come from a form? If you're
    worried about "illegal" characters, then that's easy enough to get round at the
    server-side, e.g. urlencode() in PHP.

    Oli
    Oli Filth, Dec 20, 2004
  6. Fernie

    Fernie Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message

    > What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
    > using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

    Coming back to your response, I wanted to say that I do use buttons to post.
    But I have a situation where I'd like to show data as simple 'clickable'
    text. When clicked data contained in hidden fields is posted.

    I do think that I've got enough feedback to my problem to begin working on a
    solution.

    Regards,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com
    Fernie, Dec 20, 2004
  7. Fernie

    Fernie Guest

    "Mitja" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:11:13 GMT, Fernie <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net>
    > Number (2) is easily doable; since you're obviously using a server-side
    > scripting language, have a look at its reference and find out how to
    > encode URLs. This is done frequently; e.g. I'm sure you've noted URLs
    > containg %20 (=an encoded space) before.

    Thank you very much, I'll be looking into this.

    Although I really wish that I could post via a hyperlink (without
    implementing client side scripting), it does not appear to be possible.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

    Regards,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com
    Fernie, Dec 20, 2004
  8. Fernie

    > What about form buttons that don't look like buttons, styled as such
    > using CSS? Not ideal, but it might be your only option.

    Hywel,

    I'm beginning to feel comfortable with HTML, so CSS is totally forign to me.
    But I'll keep your suggestion in mind in the event that I can't get things
    working right.

    Regards,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com
    Fernie, Dec 20, 2004
  9. Fernie

    Mitja Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:10:04 GMT, Fernie <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net>
    wrote:

    > Although I really wish that I could post via a hyperlink (without
    > implementing client side scripting), it does not appear to be possible.
    > Please correct me if I am wrong.

    Yes, it cannot be done using solely HTML.

    --
    Mitja
    Mitja, Dec 20, 2004