    How do I adjust the html of the hyperlink to ensure that the file is opened
    in Word or Excel?

    Thank you
    Ravi Sandhu, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Ravi Sandhu

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:dO1Jb.4491$>
    Ravi Sandhu said:

    > How do I adjust the html of the hyperlink to ensure that the file is opened
    > in Word or Excel?

    you don't. if you don't want the file opening in the browser then adjust
    your settings so it starts the files application to open the file.

    --
    brucie
    02/January/2004 09:18:50 am kilo
    brucie, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Ravi Sandhu wrote:

    > I am able to place a link in html to a Word or Excel document.
    >
    > That hyperlink, opens the document in Internet Explorer

    No it doesn't. The link tells the browser about the existance of a resource,
    the browser opens it internally.

    > How do I adjust the html of the hyperlink to ensure that the file is
    > opened in Word or Excel?

    You don't. You adjust the browser to open the document in the application
    rather then the plugin.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Jan 1, 2004
  4. "Ravi Sandhu" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys
    >
    > I am able to place a link in html to a Word or Excel document.
    >
    > That hyperlink, opens the document in Internet Explorer
    >
    > How do I adjust the html of the hyperlink to ensure that the file is

    opened
    > in Word or Excel?

    Unfortunately you cannot control this using HTML. Which means the browsers
    of your users will open the link according to the settings of their
    browsers. Pretty often this means it will open inside the browser window as
    you have experienced.

    The only thing you can do if you don't want the link to open directly in the
    window is to either convert it into a zip file (which will force the user to
    download it first) or you could open it in a new browser window (< a
    href="mydoc.doc" target="_blank">Download the Doc</a>), which would at least
    keep your website open to the user.
    Fredo Vincentis, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Ravi Sandhu

    Ravi Guest