Hyperlinks and Bookmarks

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello!

    I am using FP 2003.

    I have a page with a bunch of text. At the top of the page are hyperlinks to
    different bookmarks in the text).

    When I use preview in FP, the hyperlinks work like they are supposed to
    (hyperlinks jump to bookmark and then "top of page" hyperlink jumps up to
    the top of page).

    When I close FP and open the webpage up in Internet Explorer, when I click
    on any of the hyperlinks, it jumps to a blank IE page.

    I have looked and re-looked at the code and can't seem to find the problem?

    Any ideas on this? Thanks for the help!

    VR/

    John

    John, Aug 8, 2006

  2. John

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, John
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Hello!

    G'day.

    > I am using FP 2003.

    Argh! Make the bad man stop!

    > Any ideas on this?

    Beyond the fact that you're using FP? Not without a URL.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:

    Mark Parnell, Aug 8, 2006

  3. "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > I am using FP 2003.
    >
    > I have a page with a bunch of text. At the top of the page are hyperlinks
    > different bookmarks in the text).
    >
    > When I use preview in FP, the hyperlinks work like they are supposed to
    > (hyperlinks jump to bookmark and then "top of page" hyperlink jumps up to
    > the top of page).
    >
    > When I close FP and open the webpage up in Internet Explorer, when I click
    > on any of the hyperlinks, it jumps to a blank IE page.
    >
    > I have looked and re-looked at the code and can't seem to find the
    > problem?
    >
    > Any ideas on this? Thanks for the help!
    >
    > VR/
    >
    > John

    Hi John,

    I use this...

    blah blah
    <a name="bookmark"></a>

    Hope this helps

    Andy

    Andrew Bailey, Aug 8, 2006
  4. John

    John Guest

    Hyperlinks and Bookmarks AND asp AND html Question

    All,

    Thanks for the help!

    After printing out the source code for a good page and the code for a page
    that wasn't working and going over it line by line, there was only one
    difference: the name of the file.

    I made up some rough test code below and recreated the error.

    1) Open up Notepad.
    2) Copy and paste from <! Cut and paste> to <! Cut and paste>.
    3) Name this file "test.html". (html file extension)
    4) Open the file in IE. Go crazy clicking back and forth.
    extension)
    6) Open the file in IE. Error time.

    Why do hyperlinks and bookmarks not work the same for .asp files than for .
    html?? Baffled about this.

    VR/

    John

    <! cut and paste start>
    <head>
    </head>
    <a name="up">Up</a>
    <a name="down">Down</a>
    <! cut and paste end>

    John, Aug 8, 2006
  5. Re: Hyperlinks and Bookmarks AND asp AND html Question

    John wrote:

    > (asp file extension)
    > 6) Open the file in IE. Error time.
    >
    > Why do hyperlinks and bookmarks not work the same for .asp files than
    > for . html?? Baffled about this.

    Are you running an ASP server? Normally, Windows IIS ...
    If you are not, an .asp file will not run on your computer. It is just
    text ...

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 8, 2006
  6. Re: Hyperlinks and Bookmarks AND asp AND html Question

    John wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > Thanks for the help!
    >
    > After printing out the source code for a good page and the code for a page
    > that wasn't working and going over it line by line, there was only one
    > difference: the name of the file.
    >
    > I made up some rough test code below and recreated the error.
    >
    > 1) Open up Notepad.
    > 2) Copy and paste from <! Cut and paste> to <! Cut and paste>.
    > 3) Name this file "test.html". (html file extension)
    > 4) Open the file in IE. Go crazy clicking back and forth.
    > extension)
    > 6) Open the file in IE. Error time.
    >
    > Why do hyperlinks and bookmarks not work the same for .asp files than for .
    > html?? Baffled about this.

    You doing this on your local hard drive? Of course it would fail as an
    ASP... [A]ctive erver [P]ages! Wont work unless you are running from
    a webserver, IIS to be exact.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 8, 2006
  7. John

    Andy Mabbett Guest

    In message <9RUBg.2969$>, John
    <> writes

    >I have looked and re-looked at the code

    ....and denied us the opportunity to do so.

    > and can't seem to find the problem?

    Neither can we.

    --
    Andy Mabbett
    Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: <http://www.no2id.net/>

    Free Our Data: <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>

    Andy Mabbett, Aug 8, 2006
  8. John

    Andy Mabbett Guest

    Re: Hyperlinks and Bookmarks AND asp AND html Question

    In message <R65Cg.2726$>, John
    <> writes

    Lovely!

    Andy Mabbett, Aug 8, 2006
  9. John

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > If you are not, an .asp file will not run on your computer. It is just
    > text ...

    Generally (if you've opened it in a browser, particularly IE) an ASP
    page isn't "just text" it's "just HTML". So unless you're generating
    these links dynamically (I doubt the OP is doing this) they ought to
    work exactly the same as in plain HTML.

    Note to the OP: Abandon <a name="foo" ></a> and just use <p
    id="foo" > instead.

    It works just as well as <a name="..." > does, it works for every
    credible browser still in existence, and it avoids having to add extra
    tags to your HTML. Just use the tags you already have and add the id
    attribute where you want to.

    PPS -repeated <p>s to generate big whitespace is very ugly code. If
    you're just dummying up pages, you're better with a couple of large

    Andy Dingley, Aug 9, 2006
  10. Re: Hyperlinks and Bookmarks AND asp AND html Question

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> If you are not, an .asp file will not run on your computer. It is just
    >> text ...

    > Generally (if you've opened it in a browser, particularly IE) an ASP
    > page isn't "just text" it's "just HTML". ...

    If there is no ASP processor to start the page, it won't be HTML.

    It's been a few years since I wrote .asp, but my recollection is that IE
    would just offer to "download" the file - on a computer without IIS/ASP.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 9, 2006
  11. John

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Re: Hyperlinks and Bookmarks AND asp AND html Question

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > If there is no ASP processor to start the page, it won't be HTML.

    ASP pretty much is HTML, barring the script fragments. It's not
    _labelled_ as HTML unless your Windows desktop has been configured that
    way, but that's a common enough scenario if you've got many of the M$
    web dev tools installed.

    > It's been a few years since I wrote .asp, but my recollection is that IE
    > would just offer to "download" the file - on a computer without IIS/ASP.

    I've just tried it (on a desktop WinXP machine without any web server).
    IE7 saw it as text, Firefox saw it as HTML.

    Andy Dingley, Aug 9, 2006
  12. Re: Hyperlinks and Bookmarks AND asp AND html Question

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> If there is no ASP processor to start the page, it won't be HTML.

    > ASP pretty much is HTML,

    Well, if you aren't really doing any asp processing, maybe so.

    > barring the script fragments.

    I suppose that since I always did processing, with the resultant HTML
    issued with "Response.Write" - rather than simply renaming an HTML file
    to an .asp extension - what we would see is different.

    > It's not _labelled_ as HTML unless your Windows desktop has been
    > configured that way, but that's a common enough scenario if you've
    > got many of the M$ web dev tools installed.
    >
    >> It's been a few years since I wrote .asp, but my recollection is that IE
    >> would just offer to "download" the file - on a computer without IIS/ASP.

    > I've just tried it (on a desktop WinXP machine without any web server).
    > IE7 saw it as text, Firefox saw it as HTML.

    For me, changing a pure HTML file to extension .asp, both IE6 and
    Firefox displayed it as if it were still an HTML file. That would not
    happen with a real asp file.

    If the file does no processing, there's no reason to use asp.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 9, 2006
  13. John

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Re: Hyperlinks and Bookmarks AND asp AND html Question

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > If the file does no processing, there's no reason to use asp.

    It's the typical (although overkill) approach to using SSI under IIS.
    Default config process includes in ASP but not in HTML . You can change
    this, and you don't need to use the ASP processor to do it either -
    there's a simpler ISAPI filter in there that just does SSI.

    Andy Dingley, Aug 9, 2006