Hyperlinks to other web pages at my site

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Larry, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Hyperlinks to other web pages at my site

    Can anyone please help me with some coding and instructions?

    I have a web site under construction with about 50 pages. On the left
    hand side of every page, I have the list of pages that a viewer can
    click on to hyper link to a different page at this web site.

    The web site home page URL is:
    http://brestlitovsk.topcities.com/Home.html

    This web site is under construction and being changed almost daily.
    Pages are being added and new information is being added to individual
    pages.

    Every time that I add a new page and/or I want to update the
    hyperlinks, I am currently changing the HTML coding on every page. I
    assume that this is ridicules and a great waste of time.

    How can I create one set of HTML coding that can be changed as
    required? Then automatically this revised coding would be added to
    each of the about 50 other pages at this web site.

    This sounds logical to me; I just do not know how to do it.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    In addition to posting to this group, could you please cc me at

    Thanks in advance!

    Larry Schenker

    Larry, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Larry wrote:

    > How can I create one set of HTML coding that can be changed as
    > required? Then automatically this revised coding would be added to
    > each of the about 50 other pages at this web site.

    Use a include function on the html page for the menu (if you host does
    support server side scripting) e.g.

    in html page <?php include("menu.html"); ?>

    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Larry wrote:

    > How can I create one set of HTML coding that can be changed as
    > required? Then automatically this revised coding would be added to
    > each of the about 50 other pages at this web site.

    <http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another>

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jul 27, 2004
  4. (Larry) writes:

    > I have a web site under construction with about 50 pages. On the left
    > hand side of every page, I have the list of pages that a viewer can
    > click on to hyper link to a different page at this web site.
    >
    > The web site home page URL is:
    > http://brestlitovsk.topcities.com/Home.html

    A terrible example of link farms preceding the content; even if
    accessibility doesn't matter to you (can you imagine all of that
    irrelevant stuff being read out aloud before the actual content on every
    page?) search engine ranking should. Your content is encountered too
    late in the document flow.

    > Every time that I add a new page and/or I want to update the
    > hyperlinks, I am currently changing the HTML coding on every page. I
    > assume that this is ridicules and a great waste of time.

    Indeed, that's probably why it is a FAQ.

    You can use server side techniques like SSI, PHP and ASP to update and
    upoad only one file which is included in all of the pages 'live', but if
    your site is basically static you'd probably be better off to use a
    local preprocessor in combination with a site synchonisation tool, for
    starters

    <http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dbareis/ppwdownl.htm>
    <http://www.lyra.org/sitecopy/>

    --