    Thanks in advance.

    -JA

    , Dec 8, 2005

  2. Bruce Barker Guest

    this is correct. web gardens give greater stability at a performance cost.
    this is because scheduling threads is cheaper than scheduling processes, and
    thread context switches are cheaper than process context switches. also web
    gardens are harder on the cpu caches (more cache misses).

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Dec 8, 2005

  3. Scott Allen Guest

    Web gardens provide scalability increases for applications that have a
    lot of resource contentions, like application locks and pages with
    aspcompat="true". Anything else can be hit or miss.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Dec 9, 2005
  4. Scott Allen Guest

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 15:31:31 -0800, "Bruce Barker"
    <> wrote:

    >this is correct. web gardens give greater stability at a performance cost.
    >this is because scheduling threads is cheaper than scheduling processes, and
    >thread context switches are cheaper than process context switches. also web
    >gardens are harder on the cpu caches (more cache misses).

    What does a "process contex switch" mean in Windows? How does giving a
    process processor affinity cause more cache misses?

    Scott Allen, Dec 9, 2005