    their vile presense. Your current lazy half-answers coupled with
    vague references to more appropriate newsgroups, do not cut it.

    Doug Protocols
    Doug B, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Doug B

    Jeff Guest

    Doug B wrote:
    > Comp.lang.c is supposed to be a haven for discussing the C standard.
    > I am disgusted and apalled to see you all turning it into a forum for
    > network programming and various CS homework assignment help. Hardly
    > any among you have remained true to comp.lang.c's definition. I
    > hereby charge you to immediately cease all discussion of
    > system-dependant and compiler-dependant nonsense and concentrate all
    > your discussion upon the C standard.
    > And when people come by who don't bother to read the faq, you are far
    > too open to their questions about windows socket programming or curses
    > or graphic design. In the future when such people are identified you
    > must immediately outcast them from the forum and cleanse yourself of
    > their vile presense. Your current lazy half-answers coupled with
    > vague references to more appropriate newsgroups, do not cut it.
    >
    > Doug Protocols

    And your ANSI C question is...
    Jeff, Jul 25, 2003

  3. On 25 Jul 2003 11:07:56 -0700
    (Doug B) wrote:

    > Comp.lang.c is supposed to be a haven for discussing the C standard.

    Absolutely, completely and totally 100% correct. It's a haven for, per example,
    programmers who seek to enhance and update their knowledge. Not for monkeys who
    try to be authoritative by barking orders at a usenet group.

    > I am disgusted and apalled to see you all turning it into a forum for
    > network programming and various CS homework assignment help.

    Really? Doesn't bother me... those horribly offensive posts you mentioned must
    be filtered by my news reader or something.

    > Hardly any among you have remained true to comp.lang.c's definition.

    A definition you designed? If so, you have a right to speak. If not, you're just
    some guy who thinks he can lecture an entire newsgroup and on top of that,
    believes that he's going to be taken seriously.
    Besides, even if your statement was PART true, which it isn't, 'hardly any'
    would be an exaggeration. Even 'almost everyone' borders to a lie.

    > I hereby charge you to immediately cease all discussion of system-dependant
    > and compiler-dependant nonsense and concentrate all your discussion upon the
    > C standard.

    You're not charging anything but batteries pal. If you were a moderator, or the
    King of Zimbabwe, then maybe you'd have some kind of authority. But I haven't
    seen you contribute once to this list. If you really didn't, you don't even have
    the right to fart, let alone ordering everyone in the list. Even emperor Shaddam
    IV doesn't have the right to do that.

    > And when people come by who don't bother to read the faq, you are far
    > too open to their questions about windows socket programming or curses
    > or graphic design.

    When it comes to serious topic offenses like you just listed, most reply telling
    the 'offender' it's off topic, and redirecting him to another newsgroup. Simple
    questions? As long as the thread doesn't grow beyond a couple of posts, who
    cares! And obvious questions who are answered in the FAQ are generally pointed
    out. And no, not all the time.

    > In the future when such people are identified you must immediately outcast
    > them from the forum and cleanse yourself of their vile presense.

    You fall into that category, since your post isn't about the C standard. And you
    are also the only one on whom I'd consider applying your rude, rude 'order'.

    > Your current lazy half-answers coupled with vague references to more
    > appropriate newsgroups, do not cut it.

    alt.flame.

    I feel better now. Thanks :)

    --
    main(int c,char*k,char*s){c>0?main(0,"adceoX$_k6][^hn","-7\
    0#05&'40$.6'+).3+1%30"),puts(""):*s?c=!c?-*s:(putchar(45),c
    Pieter Droogendijk, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Doug B

    Mr. X Guest

    Doug,

    Any chance you can advise me on how to program with sockets?
    I have a homework assignment and I do not know how to start.

    Mr. X, Jul 25, 2003
  5. Doug B

    Derk Gwen Guest

    #
    # Really? Doesn't bother me... those horribly offensive posts you mentioned must
    # be filtered by my news reader or something.

    It's always April 1st somewhere on the net.

    Don't say anything. Especially you.
    Derk Gwen, Jul 25, 2003
  6. Doug B

    Randy Howard Guest

    In article <34hUa.3448$Ye.2452@fed1read02>, says...
    > Doug,
    >
    > Any chance you can advise me on how to program with sockets?
    > I have a homework assignment and I do not know how to start.

    While we're at it, perhaps Mr. Tisdale could assist me in developing
    a driver for MS-DOS 3.30 for a FC BERT tester/fault injector. I have
    only an old Power C compiler and no manual for it, so please be
    specific in how to use it. Also, I am going to have to enter the
    source on the machine with "copy con" because I don't have an editor,
    so please make it as short and concise as possible.

    BTW, how do I make my PC Speaker play "The Eyes of Texas"?

    /* :) */
    Randy Howard, Jul 25, 2003
  7. Doug B

    Binary Guest

    I agree with Pieter on this. Since this ng is not moderated it is hard to
    slap hands though. My feeling are that the "FAQ: Read this first" message
    should be sent to this newsgroup a bit more frequently so new users will see
    it in the first x-amount of threads listed.

    BTW, i think this is just a troll, calm down fellas...
    Binary, Jul 25, 2003
  8. Pieter Droogendijk wrote:
    > On 25 Jul 2003 11:07:56 -0700
    > (Doug B) wrote:
    >

    >>Comp.lang.c is supposed to be a haven for discussing the C standard.

    > Absolutely, completely and totally 100% correct. It's a haven for, per example,
    > programmers who seek to enhance and update their knowledge. Not for monkeys who
    > try to be authoritative by barking orders at a usenet group.

    (snip)
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdtroll.h>

    void warning(void) {
    printf("dont feed the troll\n");
    }

    Bruno
    Bruno Desthuilliers, Jul 26, 2003
  9. Doug B

    Artie Gold Guest

    Doug B wrote:
    > Comp.lang.c is supposed to be a haven for discussing the C standard.

    Well, no. It's for discussing standard C. Discussing the C standard is
    done in news:comp.std.c.

    > I am disgusted and apalled to see you all turning it into a forum for
    > network programming and various CS homework assignment help. Hardly
    > any among you have remained true to comp.lang.c's definition. I
    > hereby charge you to immediately cease all discussion of
    > system-dependant and compiler-dependant nonsense and concentrate all
    > your discussion upon the C standard.
    > And when people come by who don't bother to read the faq, you are far
    > too open to their questions about windows socket programming or curses
    > or graphic design. In the future when such people are identified you
    > must immediately outcast them from the forum and cleanse yourself of
    > their vile presense. Your current lazy half-answers coupled with
    > vague references to more appropriate newsgroups, do not cut it.

    Fortunately, topicality is always topical...

    --ag

    --
    Artie Gold -- Austin, Texas
    Artie Gold, Jul 26, 2003
  10. Doug B

    Eric Bernard Guest

    "Doug B" <> wrote in message
    > Comp.lang.c is supposed to be a haven for discussing the C standard.
    > I am disgusted and apalled to see you all turning it into a forum for
    > network programming and various CS homework assignment help. Hardly
    > any among you have remained true to comp.lang.c's definition. I
    > hereby charge you to immediately cease all discussion of
    > system-dependant and compiler-dependant nonsense and concentrate all
    > your discussion upon the C standard.
    > And when people come by who don't bother to read the faq, you are far
    > too open to their questions about windows socket programming or curses
    > or graphic design. In the future when such people are identified you
    > must immediately outcast them from the forum and cleanse yourself of
    > their vile presense. Your current lazy half-answers coupled with
    > vague references to more appropriate newsgroups, do not cut it.
    >
    > Doug Protocols

    .... sigh.

    You're not helping it with such posts.
    Eric Bernard, Jul 26, 2003
  11. Bye!

    Keith Thompson, Jul 26, 2003
  12. Doug B

    Doug B Guest

    "Mr. X" <> wrote in message news:<34hUa.3448$Ye.2452@fed1read02>...
    > Doug,
    >
    > Any chance you can advise me on how to program with sockets?
    > I have a homework assignment and I do not know how to start.

    Well it depends what environment you're in.. unix or windows or
    something else? if you are in a unix environment or at least a cygwin
    environment, the relevant functions are send( int socket, char *txt,
    int length, int zero ), recv( int socket, char *buffer, int length,
    int zero ). the zero is always 0, the length is the max size for the
    char *. the first argument, int socket, is a number which tells which
    connection to read or write. if you want to make programs worth half
    a bean, you'll need to know how to do "non blocking" synchronous i/o
    over multiple connections at once. otherwise your program will lag to
    hell every time it tries to connect to some server. but first you
    need to make a socket, the function for that is just "socket", which
    returns the int of the socket created. then you'll need to "listen"
    (to accept incoming connections) or "connect" (to create an outgoing
    connection). All of these have man pages you can refer to. but
    before you can do any of this you need to associate the socket with a
    sockaddr_in or sockaddr_out using... well, i guess its complex and i
    think you should read your textbook rather than try to get the whole
    answer on usenet.. and please be more specific. but speaking of
    which, what publisher is your textbook published by? and what college
    do you attend? hope this helped somewhat, of course if youre not in a
    unix/cygwin environment then it's all useless to you.. well good luck
    in any event

    Doug Protocols
    Apparently a comp.lang.c guru, since people post to comp.lang.c asking
    for help specifically from him
    Doug B, Jul 26, 2003
  13. On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:23:36 +0200
    Bruno Desthuilliers <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > #include <stdtroll.h>
    >
    > void warning(void) {
    > printf("dont feed the troll\n");
    > }
    >
    > Bruno

    I had a bad day and thought I'd feel better after flaming a troll. I was right
    :)

    Pieter Droogendijk, Jul 26, 2003
  14. Emmanuel Delahaye, Jul 26, 2003