I am just trying to find out if there is any relevant/currentresearch in the production of a generic

Darryl Owens

I am currently starting my PhD in software quality assurance and have been doing a lot of reading round this subject. I am just trying to find out if there is any relevant/current research in the production of a generic quality assurance tool i.e. a tool/methodology that can accept many languages for the following areas:
• Problems in code/coding errors
• Compiler bugs
• Language bugs
• Users mathematical model
I would greatly appreciate any input and advice in this area, feel free to repost on this topic and/or contact me at: (e-mail address removed)

Thank you in advance

Darryl Owens

Ramchandra Apte

I am currently starting my PhD in software quality assurance and have been doing a lot of reading round this subject. I am just trying to find out if there is any relevant/current research in the production of a generic quality assurance tool i.e. a tool/methodology that can accept many languages for the following areas:

• Problems in code/coding errors

• Compiler bugs

• Language bugs

• Users mathematical model

I would greatly appreciate any input and advice in this area, feel free to repost on this topic and/or contact me at: (e-mail address removed)

Thank you in advance

Darryl Owens

Does this have anything to do with Python?

Banned from #python-offtopic till Christmas

Dwight Hutto

The main tests for python is:

http://docs.python.org/library/unittest.html

For other languages, and even in python, you can roll your own.

I'd begin by algorithming each particular language's calls(based on
the statistical probabilities of languages that are utilized, and
designed in a hierarchical order of the utilization), language bugs,
and mathematical models needed performed, then perform the necessary
function calls/series of calls.

Pass data, and check the returns.

CMD errors in some cases, and checking for error logs from URL calls.

I'd suggest the bug repositories for the OS, browser, or app framework
the language is launched in(version/build #, etc), or some form of url
scraping the data from these in order to correct/check known problems.

Dwight Hutto

You could also utilize other unittests from other languages, and roll
that into wrappers that checked for specific languages utilization,
and it's probable errors, by initiating the unittest functions with a
python call specific to the language being utilized.

Dwight Hutto

It is about 2:30 A.M. here, and I'm tossing out thoughts that could go deeper.

You're looking for:

The below is the base algorithm I see for every language:

There are problems, and ways to test in every language. Some have more
advanced tests based on their usage, and those who use them.

You have identified the errors needed to be checked for:
-Problems in code/coding errors
-Compiler bugs
-Language bugs
-Users mathematical model

1. You have test methods in lots of languages for these, and you need
to parse for the file extension, or something in the code that shows
it has switched to a new language. I'm assuming classes and functions
here

2. It seems like you should have a file/script in each language to
check for as much as you can.

3. You could call these scripts via a python command line app, and
have an app to display the output, and check for know error calls
returned from the command line output(stderr/stdin/,etc), or the
browsers output/error logs.

4. You could go to a lower level.

5. You're in python, so pick the best way to wrap and execute the
above based on file extensions, and parsing, then run your test on
portions of code if the have parameters or error values, or the code
as a whole, and deal with each of the problems stated above.

This is just to begin to understand your mentality of how you want to
implement in python.