I am looking for a co-author to finish a Ruby and Ruby on Rails book

Mark Watson

I have been working on "Ruby Quickly" for Manning Publishers since last
December, and have decided to try to find a co-author to add to the
material that I already have and help improve the existing manuscript.
The publishers promo web page is at: http://www.manning.com/watson/

The book concept is: the combination of Ruby and Rails has very much
changed my outlook on software development. By using examples that for
the most part are not used in other books and tutorials the book tries
to show readers how Ruby can be used to quickly solve a very wide
variety of real world programming problems (Rails web apps, web
services, messaging with interop with a Java message system, a wide
variety of persistence strategies in addition to ActiveRecord,
automated email handling, document processing, indexing, and search,
spelling correction (two techniques), report generation to multiple
output formats, and several AJAX examples that are interesting and
non-trivial. I also have some fun with client access to del.icio.us,
etc. and a chapter at the end on how Ruby can be used for the Semantic
Web.

I am looking for someone who can partner with me to turn what I believe
to be a good book into a great book. I will maintain lead author status
(i.e., my name is listed first), and you can expect 1/3 of the book
advances and proceeds.

I have written about 320 pages, and this material has been through two
reviews and two rewrites. I believe the manuscript is now in good
shape, but I think that another author would help turn this into a
great book. I am looking for someone who could work hard with me on the
manuscript for about 6 to 8 weeks before freezing it for publication.

-Mark Watson
www.markwatson.com (my email address is on my web site)