I am NEW in java, which IDE is better or market leader?

Alexandre Touret

Jay said:
As the title, Thank you.
Hello,
SUN Studio creator, Sun enterprise Creator, eclipse, netbeans ...
I think you should look at the integration with the server. If you would
like to progam swing components, you should use netbeans. For J2EE
enterprise components, I use eclipse. For JSF components , I m trying
Sun studio creator, it s great!

Alexandre

etienno

I like Eclipse. I think I have use it since 4-5 years or so. It is free
and well supported. There is a lot of pluggins that will give you a lot
of extra feature. The JBossIDE pluggin is a nice one. Many will tell
you that Netbeans or IntelliJ are better etc, etc. There are probably
right, theses are good IDE too. But I still prefer Eclipse. The
commercial version of Eclipse is IBM WSAD. But it will cost you an
extra 5000$US

www.eclipse.org

Etienne

Stefan Ram

Jay said:
what is the meaning of package in J(...)?

A package is a named entity whose name may appear in an
expression as part of a qualified name for a class or
interface type and is being declared in a package declaration.

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,

Stefan said:
A package is a named entity whose name may appear in an
expression as part of a qualified name for a class or
interface type and is being declared in a package declaration.

Although I believe Stefan, that this is 100% correct, I think it does
not help very much ;-)

I would say, a package is some kind of namespace which groups classes
that belong together. Package-names can be used to create a hierchical
structure of namespaces (*):

java.awt.Button
java.awt.Frame
java.awt.event.ActionEvent

Ciao,
Ingo

(*) Note that Java does not know (or you could say "does not use") the
hierarchical information. But that would lead too far away from the
simple question...

Oliver Wong

Ingo R. Homann said:
Hi,

Although I believe Stefan, that this is 100% correct, I think it does not
help very much ;-)

I would say, a package is some kind of namespace which groups classes that
belong together. Package-names can be used to create a hierchical
structure of namespaces (*):

java.awt.Button
java.awt.Frame
java.awt.event.ActionEvent

For yet more clarification, "java.awt" is a package which contains the
classes "Button" and "Frame" in the above example.

If you create your own custom packages, you have to make sure your
directory structure matches your package structure.

- Oliver