    know if there are any really good tutorial sites. Thanks your input
    is much appriciated.

    , Sep 27, 2007

  2. Bill Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello I am new to programming and want to know what is a good free
    > compiler is. I am asking this because there are so many of them and I
    > just want to start programming also a good website for programming to
    > help me, I want to major in the computer programming field and want to
    > know if there are any really good tutorial sites. Thanks your input
    > is much appriciated.

    If you are serious, then you need a book or two. You can learn a good deal
    about programming without even having a computer, let alone a compiler.
    Strangely, the computer can sort of get in the way of thinking. I recommend
    a visit to a library or a used-book store. Which compiler you end up with
    makes little difference. Compile the "Hello World" program with two or
    three of them (you can probably find the code for it on the Internet), and
    use the one you like most. You have a lot of wonderful thinking ahead of
    you. Have fun!

    -Bill
    (C++ Instructor)

    Bill, Sep 27, 2007

  3. Re: I am new to programming and wanted to know where a good placeto start for C++

    On 2007-09-27 05:00, wrote:
    > Hello I am new to programming and want to know what is a good free
    > compiler is. I am asking this because there are so many of them and I
    > just want to start programming also a good website for programming to
    > help me, I want to major in the computer programming field and want to
    > know if there are any really good tutorial sites. Thanks your input
    > is much appriciated.

    For compilers I would go with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express on
    Windows and gcc on any other platform. When it comes to tutorial my
    experience is that the good ones costs money and are called book, you
    might also find some at your local library. There are a few decent
    reference sites on the net but no good tutorials (except for a few with
    very narrow topics).

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?=, Sep 27, 2007
  4. BobR Guest

    BobR, Sep 27, 2007
  5. Re: I am new to programming and wanted to know where a good placetostart for C++

    On 2007-09-27 20:51, BobR wrote:
    > Erik Wikström wrote in message...
    >>
    >> For compilers I would go with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express on
    >> Windows and gcc on any other platform.

    > Why do you suggest gcc ( the Gnu 'C' compiler )?

    gcc = GNU Compiler Collection

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?=, Sep 27, 2007
  6. ThaDoctor Guest

    On Sep 27, 10:05 pm, Erik Wikström <> wrote:
    > On 2007-09-27 20:51, BobR wrote:
    >
    > > Erik Wikström wrote in message...

    > >> For compilers I would go with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express on
    > >> Windows and gcc on any other platform.

    > > Why do you suggest gcc ( the Gnu 'C' compiler )?

    > gcc = GNU Compiler Collection
    >
    > --
    > Erik Wikström

    Anyway if anybody want to discuss the matter I would say g++ for c++ -
    even though it is just that part of gcc that is called g++, but that
    is the command I use.
    Works great.
    Just remember to learn the flags for the compiler.
    That is partly why I don't like the Microsoft one, lack of control,
    only gui.

    Just go ahead and use something useful as mingw or something.

    ThaDoctor, Sep 27, 2007
  7. Pete Becker Guest

    On 2007-09-27 17:04:02 -0400, ThaDoctor <> said:

    > That is partly why I don't like the Microsoft one, lack of control,
    > only gui.

    Microsoft's command line compiler takes a huge set of options. All the
    control you could possible want.

    --
    Pete
    (www.petebecker.com/tr1book)

    Pete Becker, Sep 27, 2007
  8. BobR Guest

    Re: I am new to programming and wanted to know where a good placetostart for C++

    Erik Wikström wrote in message...
    > On 2007-09-27 20:51, BobR wrote:
    > > Erik WikstrÃf¶m wrote in message...
    > >>
    > >> For compilers I would go with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express on
    > >> Windows and gcc on any other platform.

    > > Why do you suggest gcc ( the Gnu 'C' compiler )?

    > gcc = GNU Compiler Collection

    Ah, you meant GCC, not gcc/g++.

    GCC == GNU Compiler Collection
    gcc == GNU 'C' compiler
    g++ == GNU 'C++' compiler

    Confusing, isn't it?
    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie

    BobR, Sep 27, 2007
  9. Re: I am new to programming and wanted to know where a good placetostartfor C++

    On 2007-09-27 23:49, BobR wrote:
    > Erik Wikström wrote in message...

    >> > Why do you suggest gcc ( the Gnu 'C' compiler )?

    >> gcc = GNU Compiler Collection

    > Ah, you meant GCC, not gcc/g++.
    >
    > GCC == GNU Compiler Collection
    > gcc == GNU 'C' compiler
    > g++ == GNU 'C++' compiler
    >
    > Confusing, isn't it?

    Even more confusing when 'gcc test.cpp' will compiler the file as C++.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?=, Sep 28, 2007
  10. James Kanze Guest

    Re: I am new to programming and wanted to know where a good placeto start for C++

    On Sep 27, 11:04 pm, ThaDoctor <> wrote:

    [...]
    > That is partly why I don't like the Microsoft one, lack of control,
    > only gui.

    Lack of control at what level. The Microsoft C++ compiler has a
    large number of options, just like every other compiler. From
    what little I've seen, they can all be set explicitly in the
    GUI, if that's what you want. And the statement "only GUI" is
    obviously false: in my own work, I don't use the GUI; I invoke
    the compiler from the same makefiles I use on my Unix based
    development machines. (But I'm not sure that this is the
    appropriate route for a beginner.)

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:

    James Kanze, Sep 28, 2007
  11. Stefan Naewe Guest

    On 9/28/2007 10:42 AM, Erik Wikström wrote:
    > On 2007-09-27 23:49, BobR wrote:
    >> Erik Wikström wrote in message...
    >>> gcc = GNU Compiler Collection

    >> Ah, you meant GCC, not gcc/g++.
    >>
    >> GCC == GNU Compiler Collection
    >> gcc == GNU 'C' compiler
    >> g++ == GNU 'C++' compiler
    >>
    >> Confusing, isn't it?

    > Even more confusing when 'gcc test.cpp' will compiler the file as C++.

    ....and forget to link '-lstdc++' !

    S.
    --
    Stefan Naewe stefan dot naewe at atlas-elektronik dot com

    Stefan Naewe, Sep 28, 2007
  12. UINDEX Guest

    On Sep 27, 11:00 am, wrote:
    > Hello I am new to programming and want to know what is a good free
    > compiler is. I am asking this because there are so many of them and I
    > just want to start programming also a good website for programming to
    > help me, I want to major in the computer programming field and want to
    > know if there are any really good tutorial sites. Thanks your input
    > is much appriciated.

    As your are a beginner,choose Visual C++,it's a popular and
    comfortable IDE,command line based compiler is boring.

    UINDEX, Sep 29, 2007
  13. arnuld Guest

    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:07:57 -0700, UINDEX wrote:

    > As your are a beginner,choose Visual C++,it's a popular and
    > comfortable IDE,

    comfortable ? how about Bloodshed Dev C++

    > command line based compiler is boring.

    worst advice I have ever seen :-(

    --
    http://lispmachine.wordpress.com

    arnuld, Sep 29, 2007
  14. arnuld Guest

    #1) beginner to programming and beginner to computers ?

    #2) Which OS you are working on: UNIX, Mac, Linux, Windows, Solaris ?

    #3) beginner to programming and want to compiler. There is no compiler for
    programming. There are compilers for Programming Languages. Though you
    mentioned that in a C++ newsgroup, so i assume you want C++ Copmiler but
    telling it explicitly could have been a good idea.

    you gace too little information. Give us more, so that we could help you.
    we can.

    >> and I
    >> just want to start programming also a good website for programming to
    >> help me, I want to major in the computer programming field and want to
    >> know if there are any really good tutorial sites.

    since you post in C++ newsgroup. I ask, Why you want to want to start with
    C++ , if you are a beginner to programming ?

    -- arnuld
    http://lispmachine.wordpress.com

    arnuld, Sep 29, 2007