I am new to programming and wanted to know where a good place to start for C++

1

1jasong

Hello I am new to programming and want to know what is a good free
compiler is. I am asking this because there are so many of them and I
just want to start programming also a good website for programming to
help me, I want to major in the computer programming field and want to
know if there are any really good tutorial sites. Thanks your input
is much appriciated.

Bill

Hello I am new to programming and want to know what is a good free
compiler is. I am asking this because there are so many of them and I
just want to start programming also a good website for programming to
help me, I want to major in the computer programming field and want to
know if there are any really good tutorial sites. Thanks your input
is much appriciated.

If you are serious, then you need a book or two. You can learn a good deal
about programming without even having a computer, let alone a compiler.
Strangely, the computer can sort of get in the way of thinking. I recommend
a visit to a library or a used-book store. Which compiler you end up with
makes little difference. Compile the "Hello World" program with two or
three of them (you can probably find the code for it on the Internet), and
use the one you like most. You have a lot of wonderful thinking ahead of
you. Have fun!

-Bill
(C++ Instructor)

Guest

Hello I am new to programming and want to know what is a good free
compiler is. I am asking this because there are so many of them and I
just want to start programming also a good website for programming to
help me, I want to major in the computer programming field and want to
know if there are any really good tutorial sites. Thanks your input
is much appriciated.

For compilers I would go with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express on
Windows and gcc on any other platform. When it comes to tutorial my
experience is that the good ones costs money and are called book, you
might also find some at your local library. There are a few decent
reference sites on the net but no good tutorials (except for a few with
very narrow topics).

ThaDoctor

gcc = GNU Compiler Collection

Anyway if anybody want to discuss the matter I would say g++ for c++ -
even though it is just that part of gcc that is called g++, but that
is the command I use.
Works great.
Just remember to learn the flags for the compiler.
That is partly why I don't like the Microsoft one, lack of control,
only gui.

Just go ahead and use something useful as mingw or something.

Pete Becker

That is partly why I don't like the Microsoft one, lack of control,
only gui.

Microsoft's command line compiler takes a huge set of options. All the
control you could possible want.

BobR

Erik Wikström wrote in message...
gcc = GNU Compiler Collection

Ah, you meant GCC, not gcc/g++.

GCC == GNU Compiler Collection
gcc == GNU 'C' compiler
g++ == GNU 'C++' compiler

Confusing, isn't it?

Guest

Erik Wikström wrote in message...

Ah, you meant GCC, not gcc/g++.

GCC == GNU Compiler Collection
gcc == GNU 'C' compiler
g++ == GNU 'C++' compiler

Confusing, isn't it?

Even more confusing when 'gcc test.cpp' will compiler the file as C++.

James Kanze

[...]
That is partly why I don't like the Microsoft one, lack of control,
only gui.

Lack of control at what level. The Microsoft C++ compiler has a
large number of options, just like every other compiler. From
what little I've seen, they can all be set explicitly in the
GUI, if that's what you want. And the statement "only GUI" is
obviously false: in my own work, I don't use the GUI; I invoke
the compiler from the same makefiles I use on my Unix based
development machines. (But I'm not sure that this is the
appropriate route for a beginner.)

UINDEX

Hello I am new to programming and want to know what is a good free
compiler is. I am asking this because there are so many of them and I
just want to start programming also a good website for programming to
help me, I want to major in the computer programming field and want to
know if there are any really good tutorial sites. Thanks your input
is much appriciated.

As your are a beginner,choose Visual C++,it's a popular and
comfortable IDE,command line based compiler is boring.

arnuld

#1) beginner to programming and beginner to computers ?

#2) Which OS you are working on: UNIX, Mac, Linux, Windows, Solaris ?

#3) beginner to programming and want to compiler. There is no compiler for
programming. There are compilers for Programming Languages. Though you
mentioned that in a C++ newsgroup, so i assume you want C++ Copmiler but
telling it explicitly could have been a good idea.

you gace too little information. Give us more, so that we could help you.
we can.

since you post in C++ newsgroup. I ask, Why you want to want to start with
C++ , if you are a beginner to programming ?

-- arnuld
http://lispmachine.wordpress.com