    without asking help from an admin user.

    Is there a JDK package that can be simply unzipped and ready for use?

    Thanks.
    Author, Jan 1, 2009

  2. Author

    Author Guest

    On Jan 1, 10:54 am, Author <> wrote:
    > I am interested in trying out Eclipse at work.
    >
    > I am not in the admin user group of our windows system.  I tried to
    > install JDK6, but failed.
    >
    > I have been wondering if there is any possibility of installing JDK6
    > without asking help from an admin user.
    >
    > Is there a JDK package that can be simply unzipped and ready for use?
    >
    > Thanks.

    The installation instruction says:

    <quote>
    You must have administrative permissions in order to install the JDK
    on Microsoft Windows.
    </quote>

    Does this mean there is no workaround at all? Thanks.
    Author, Jan 1, 2009

  3. Author

    Stefan Ram Guest

    Author <> writes:
    ><quote>
    >You must have administrative permissions in order
    >to install the JDK on Microsoft Windows.
    ></quote>
    >Does this mean there is no workaround at all?

    If you have access to an installation or are able
    to unpack archive files into the proper directory
    structure, simply copying the files to the target
    environment will usually allow one to call »javac«
    and »java« for compilation and execution of Java
    programs without an »installation« in the Microsoft®
    sense.

    Some things will not work. For example, executable
    jar files can not be started with the Microsoft®
    »start« command. But then, they can be started either
    edited to allow to start them directly. However, to
    edit branches of the registry, sometimes special
    permissions are required. And the browsers will not
    be aware of the JRE to run applets; but with special
    knowledge of a browser, one can tweak its configuration
    so that it becomes aware of the JRE.
    Stefan Ram, Jan 1, 2009
  4. Author

    Author Guest

    On Jan 1, 11:14 am, -berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote:
    > Author <> writes:
    > ><quote>
    > >You must have administrative permissions in order
    > >to install the JDK on Microsoft Windows.
    > ></quote>
    > >Does this mean there is no workaround at all?

    >   If you have access to an installation or are able
    >   to unpack archive files into the proper directory
    >   structure, simply copying the files to the target
    >   environment will usually allow one to call »javac«
    >   and »java« for compilation and execution of Java
    >   programs without an »installation« in the Microsoft®
    >   sense.
    >
    >   Some things will not work. For example, executable
    >   jar files can not be started with the Microsoft®
    >   »start« command. But then, they can be started either
    >   edited to allow to start them directly. However, to
    >   edit branches of the registry, sometimes special
    >   permissions are required. And the browsers will not
    >   be aware of the JRE to run applets; but with special
    >   knowledge of a browser, one can tweak its configuration
    >   so that it becomes aware of the JRE.

    So, in other words, I can install JDK6 on my laptop where I am the
    admin, and then copy the installation folder of JDK6 to a USB drive
    and dump it to my work station?
    Author, Jan 1, 2009
  5. Author

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Author wrote:
    > So, in other words, I can install JDK6 on my laptop where I am the
    > admin, and then copy the installation folder of JDK6 to a USB drive
    > and dump it to my work station?

    With the limitations Stefan described: yes.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 1, 2009
  6. Author

    Author Guest

    On Jan 1, 11:48 am, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Author wrote:
    > > So, in other words, I can install JDK6 on my laptop where I am the
    > > admin, and then copy the installation folder of JDK6 to a USB drive
    > > and dump it to my work station?

    > With the limitations Stefan described: yes.
    >
    > Arne

    That sounds cool since I rarely do applet anyway. I have installed
    the version which says "GlassFish Java EE + JDK" at

    http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp

    so that I can practice both standard Java and JEE. I will use Tomcat
    as my web server. It's been a few years since I last worked with Java.
    Author, Jan 1, 2009
  7. On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 09:55:56 -0800, Author wrote:

    > On Jan 1, 11:48 am, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> Author wrote:
    >> > So, in other words, I can install JDK6 on my laptop where I am the
    >> > admin, and then copy the installation folder of JDK6 to a USB drive
    >> > and dump it to my work station?

    >> With the limitations Stefan described: yes.
    >>
    >> Arne

    > That sounds cool since I rarely do applet anyway. I have installed the
    > version which says "GlassFish Java EE + JDK" at
    >
    > http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp
    >
    > so that I can practice both standard Java and JEE. I will use Tomcat as
    > my web server. It's been a few years since I last worked with Java.

    I might add, Glassfish does have a web container - J2EE servers generally
    do. So you don't need Tomcat.

    That's not to say that a production J2EE server may not use a different
    web server. For example, if developing with Oracle's oc4j standalone, you
    generally just use the web container built in. But in production you may
    use Apache httpd as the web container (in fact Oracle Application Server
    is basically oc4j + Apache httpd + JServ with some bells and whistles).

    In your case, though, Glassfish will be all you need. When you create a
    web app (in a J2EE app or not) and deploy it (say through NetBeans) you
    can immediately access it with your browser.

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Jan 1, 2009
  8. Arved Sandstrom wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 09:55:56 -0800, Author wrote:

    >>> With the limitations Stefan described: yes.

    >> That sounds cool since I rarely do applet anyway. I have installed the
    >> version which says "GlassFish Java EE + JDK" at
    >>
    >> http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp
    >>
    >> so that I can practice both standard Java and JEE. I will use Tomcat as
    >> my web server. It's been a few years since I last worked with Java.

    > I might add, Glassfish does have a web container - J2EE servers generally
    > do. So you don't need Tomcat.

    I even believe that the web container in Glassfish is Tomcat.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 1, 2009
  9. Author

    Author Guest

    On Jan 1, 1:37 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Arved Sandstrom wrote:

    > >> That sounds cool since I rarely do applet anyway.  I have installed the
    > >> version which says "GlassFish Java EE + JDK" at

    > >>http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp

    > >> so that I can practice both standard Java and JEE. I will use Tomcat as
    > >> my web server.  It's been a few years since I last worked with Java.

    > > I might add, Glassfish does have a web container - J2EE servers generally
    > > do. So you don't need Tomcat.

    > I even believe that the web container in Glassfish is Tomcat.
    >
    > Arne

    Thank both of you. I had thought that Glassfish is some sample
    application like petstore. Just googled and found that it is an app
    server. I am way too behind Java.
    Author, Jan 1, 2009
  10. Author

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 08:27:18 -0800 (PST), Author <>

    >So, in other words, I can install JDK6 on my laptop where I am the
    >admin, and then copy the installation folder of JDK6 to a USB drive
    >and dump it to my work station?

    You also need to patch the registry, which presumably you can't do
    without admin privilege either. The main point of admin privilege is
    to STOP users from installing games and dangerous software.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Jan 3, 2009
  11. Author

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 13:14:21 -0800 (PST), Author <>

    >Thank both of you. I had thought that Glassfish is some sample
    >application like petstore. Just googled and found that it is an app
    >server. I am way too behind Java.

    If you hear a word and want a short description of what it is for,
    just look it up in the Java glossary. If you don't find it, send me
    an email and I will create an entry. http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Jan 5, 2009