I am not an admin, how can I install jdk?

Author

I am interested in trying out Eclipse at work.

I am not in the admin user group of our windows system. I tried to
install JDK6, but failed.

I have been wondering if there is any possibility of installing JDK6
without asking help from an admin user.

Is there a JDK package that can be simply unzipped and ready for use?

Thanks.

Author

I am interested in trying out Eclipse at work.

I am not in the admin user group of our windows system.  I tried to
install JDK6, but failed.

I have been wondering if there is any possibility of installing JDK6
without asking help from an admin user.

Is there a JDK package that can be simply unzipped and ready for use?

Thanks.

The installation instruction says:

<quote>
You must have administrative permissions in order to install the JDK
on Microsoft Windows.
</quote>

Does this mean there is no workaround at all? Thanks.

Stefan Ram

Author said:
<quote>
You must have administrative permissions in order
to install the JDK on Microsoft Windows.
</quote>
Does this mean there is no workaround at all?

If you have access to an installation or are able
to unpack archive files into the proper directory
structure, simply copying the files to the target
environment will usually allow one to call »javac«
and »java« for compilation and execution of Java
programs without an »installation« in the Microsoft®
sense.

Some things will not work. For example, executable
jar files can not be started with the Microsoft®
»start« command. But then, they can be started either
edited to allow to start them directly. However, to
edit branches of the registry, sometimes special
permissions are required. And the browsers will not
be aware of the JRE to run applets; but with special
knowledge of a browser, one can tweak its configuration
so that it becomes aware of the JRE.

Author

  If you have access to an installation or are able
  to unpack archive files into the proper directory
  structure, simply copying the files to the target
  environment will usually allow one to call »javac«
  and »java« for compilation and execution of Java
  programs without an »installation« in the Microsoft®
  sense.

  Some things will not work. For example, executable
  jar files can not be started with the Microsoft®
  »start« command. But then, they can be started either
  edited to allow to start them directly. However, to
  edit branches of the registry, sometimes special
  permissions are required. And the browsers will not
  be aware of the JRE to run applets; but with special
  knowledge of a browser, one can tweak its configuration
  so that it becomes aware of the JRE.

So, in other words, I can install JDK6 on my laptop where I am the
admin, and then copy the installation folder of JDK6 to a USB drive
and dump it to my work station?

Arne Vajhøj

Author said:
So, in other words, I can install JDK6 on my laptop where I am the
admin, and then copy the installation folder of JDK6 to a USB drive
and dump it to my work station?

With the limitations Stefan described: yes.

Arne

Arved Sandstrom

That sounds cool since I rarely do applet anyway. I have installed the
version which says "GlassFish Java EE + JDK" at

http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp

so that I can practice both standard Java and JEE. I will use Tomcat as
my web server. It's been a few years since I last worked with Java.

I might add, Glassfish does have a web container - J2EE servers generally
do. So you don't need Tomcat.

That's not to say that a production J2EE server may not use a different
web server. For example, if developing with Oracle's oc4j standalone, you
generally just use the web container built in. But in production you may
use Apache httpd as the web container (in fact Oracle Application Server
is basically oc4j + Apache httpd + JServ with some bells and whistles).

In your case, though, Glassfish will be all you need. When you create a
web app (in a J2EE app or not) and deploy it (say through NetBeans) you
can immediately access it with your browser.

AHS

Arne Vajhøj

Arved said:
I might add, Glassfish does have a web container - J2EE servers generally
do. So you don't need Tomcat.

I even believe that the web container in Glassfish is Tomcat.

Arne

Author

I even believe that the web container in Glassfish is Tomcat.

Arne

Thank both of you. I had thought that Glassfish is some sample
application like petstore. Just googled and found that it is an app
server. I am way too behind Java.

Roedy Green

So, in other words, I can install JDK6 on my laptop where I am the
admin, and then copy the installation folder of JDK6 to a USB drive
and dump it to my work station?

You also need to patch the registry, which presumably you can't do
without admin privilege either. The main point of admin privilege is
to STOP users from installing games and dangerous software.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Roedy Green

Thank both of you. I had thought that Glassfish is some sample
application like petstore. Just googled and found that it is an app
server. I am way too behind Java.

If you hear a word and want a short description of what it is for,
just look it up in the Java glossary. If you don't find it, send me
an email and I will create an entry. http://mindprod.com