I am studying c myself .Which books I should read?

Solo.Wolve

Well,I read <c primer plus> before,and I just got a primary
conclusion about c.
Can somebody show me some books to read and something to do ?
I study c myself.btw,I am not a student,
Thanks.

Leslie Kis-Adam

Solo.Wolve said:
Well,I read <c primer plus> before,and I just got a primary
conclusion about c.
Can somebody show me some books to read and something to do ?
I study c myself.btw,I am not a student,
Thanks.
You probably need to try K&R: The C programming language 2nd edition.
That's a good book we use that too.

--
Leslie Kis-Adam or
Laszlo Kis-Adam or even

Student
Faculty of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
<dfighter_AT_NOSPAM_freemail.hu>

sherlockmao

"Solo.Wolve дµÀ£º
"
Well,I read <c primer plus> before,and I just got a primary
conclusion about c.
Can somebody show me some books to read and something to do ?
I study c myself.btw,I am not a student,
Thanks.

Well, you are just in time. C is mature now also the compiler. K & R
(aka "The C Programming Language"), "C: A Reference Manual", and "C
Interface and Implememtations: Technology for Creating Reusable
Software" are my recommendations.
Good luck!

Mao..

Solo.Wolve

Well,what else should I do beside reading the c programming language?
Would you think that reading some code may help much? If so,can you
show me some URL that afford such things?
And,what else can you recommend ?
Thank you very much.

CBFalconer

Solo.Wolve said:
Well,what else should I do beside reading the c programming
language? Would you think that reading some code may help much?
If so,can you show me some URL that afford such things?
And,what else can you recommend ?

You should quote sufficient material from whatever you are
answering for your reply to make sense. You should follow commas
with a blank. And you can find lots of code to study by following
this newsgroup. For one, you can snoop about the download section
of my pages, URL below.

Richard Heathfield

Solo.Wolve said:
Well,what else should I do beside reading the c programming language?

Do the exercises, and post your answers here, asking for comments. Then pay
attention to the comments posted by experts (and ignore the chaff posted by
the clueless). To distinguish the clueless from the experts, read this
group for a while - which is in itself a worthy learning exercise.

Would you think that reading some code may help much?

Sure, but whether it's to learn How To Do It or How Not To Do It kind of
depends on who wrote the code.

santosh

Solo.Wolve said:
Well,what else should I do beside reading the c programming language?

Maybe _after_ finishing The C Programming Language.
Would you think that reading some code may help much? If so,can you
show me some URL that afford such things?

Yes reading _good_ code can expand your C thinking, but at the beginner
stage it's difficult to evaluate foreign code. Thus you might consider
some code snippet as nifty which might actually be bad C or programming
practise.

Thus, initially atleast, it's better to stick to known sources of
excellent C like TCPL and acquire basic C knowledge before browsing the
mountains of C code on the net.
And,what else can you recommend ?

I've found that lurking and/or participating in this group is an
excellent way to learn the best of C.

After you've finished TCPL I recommend Expert C Programming, C
Unleashed and C : A Reference Manual.

Any or all of the above may be out of active printing, but you can
still get good used copies.

Default User

Solo.Wolve said:
Well,what else should I do beside reading the c programming language?
Would you think that reading some code may help much? If so,can you
show me some URL that afford such things?
And,what else can you recommend ?
Thank you very much.

I'm generally of the opinion that for learners reading other people's
code isn't particularly helpful in learning to program. It does teach
to read code, which is a useful and allied skill, but not to write code
particularly.

For that, I recommend finding a reasonably-sized project and start to
work on it. Have a definite goal for the project, what the final state
will be, what the program can.

My own training tool was a text-adventure game, of the Zork type. This
had many advantages, the main one being that I was interested in the
subject. It also involved reading and parsing user input, text
manipulation, file I/O, and other useful aspects. Naturally, it's best
to find something that's interesting to you.

Brian

here8now

I agree that one can learn a lot when he/she work on a
reasonable project which he/she can manage.

But before one can start his/her own project, one should
pick up basic ability to write some simple to not so simple
programs.

Beginners needs exercise problems - simple programming tasks.
After finishing those exercise problems, beginners can move on
to a reasonable project.

The following URL gives some exercise problems which
beginners can work on.

http://www.geocities.com/mysimpc/problems.html

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

newsgroup, or:

I've rearranged the text.

Argh. Quite a lot of typos, thinkos, word ommissions, etc. I really
need to look into that proof-reading business one of these days.
I agree that one can learn a lot when he/she work on a
reasonable project which he/she can manage.

But before one can start his/her own project, one should
pick up basic ability to write some simple to not so simple
programs.

Beginners needs exercise problems - simple programming tasks.
After finishing those exercise problems, beginners can move on
to a reasonable project.

I would assume that we're talking about someone who has worked through
a book doing the basic problem in it, and is now ready for the next
step. Reading code certainly wouldn't be right for someone who's still
less skilled than that.

I'd say buy K&R2, work through and do their exercises, and you'd be
ready to start doing real programs.
The following URL gives some exercise problems which
beginners can work on.

http://www.geocities.com/mysimpc/problems.html

As is the case with most such links, the resources vary from pretty to
pretty bad. The Steve Summit one is probably ok for someone who is
still working through the text.

Brian