I came from Perl, and would ask for some quick start point

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Lee NL, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. Lee NL

    Lee NL Guest

    Dear all,

    This is my first touch of Ruby, a sound very clear code for the whole
    page! So lovely!
    So I decide to go further with Ruby, but before that, would like to have
    some hints from
    you all! Any reference web page and comments are very welcome

    1. Any posting culture here ? or say, How to use this mailing list is
    most proper ? em..
    any DOs and DON'Ts ?

    2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
    about JEdit,
    TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
    good ?

    3. Is that any dictionary like web site could quick check about the
    standard commands'
    "build in " methods ?

    Thanks in advise,
    Lee

    believed to be clean.

    Lee NL, Aug 7, 2007

  2. On 07.08.2007 07:55, Lee NL wrote:
    > This is my first touch of Ruby, a sound very clear code for the whole
    > page! So lovely!
    > So I decide to go further with Ruby, but before that, would like to have
    > some hints from
    > you all! Any reference web page and comments are very welcome

    Welcome to the world of Ruby! You'll find it's a most pleasant place.

    > 1. Any posting culture here ? or say, How to use this mailing list is
    > most proper ? em..
    > any DOs and DON'Ts ?

    Um, not much. Basically: be kind. :)

    > 2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
    > about JEdit,
    > TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
    > good ?

    I use Textpad and gvim frequently, but then again, I don't do larger
    projects in Ruby. Choose what suits you best.

    > 3. Is that any dictionary like web site could quick check about the
    > standard commands' "build in " methods ?

    Please have a look at http://www.ruby-doc.org/ - the reference is in
    section "Core API" and "Standard API". And then your installation's
    "ri" command of course.

    Kind regards

    robert

    PS: Have fun!

    Robert Klemme, Aug 7, 2007

  3. Lee NL

    Robert Dober Guest

    On 8/7/07, Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    > On 07.08.2007 07:55, Lee NL wrote:
    > > This is my first touch of Ruby, a sound very clear code for the whole
    > > page! So lovely!
    > > So I decide to go further with Ruby, but before that, would like to have
    > > some hints from
    > > you all! Any reference web page and comments are very welcome

    > Welcome to the world of Ruby! You'll find it's a most pleasant place.
    >
    > > 1. Any posting culture here ? or say, How to use this mailing list is
    > > most proper ? em..
    > > any DOs and DON'Ts ?

    > Um, not much. Basically: be kind. :)

    I'd like to add, do not top post, but that seems to be well known anyway ;)

    > > 2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
    > > about JEdit,
    > > TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
    > > good ?

    > I use Textpad and gvim frequently, but then again, I don't do larger
    > projects in Ruby. Choose what suits you best.
    >
    > > 3. Is that any dictionary like web site could quick check about the
    > > standard commands' "build in " methods ?

    > Please have a look at http://www.ruby-doc.org/ - the reference is in
    > section "Core API" and "Standard API". And then your installation's
    > "ri" command of course.

    Sound advice, but sometimes this is quite useful too:
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/
    LHS lower frame
    <snip>
    > PS: Have fun!

    Indeed ;)
    Robert

    --
    [...] as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    -- Attributed to Albert Einstein

    Robert Dober, Aug 7, 2007
  4. > 2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know=20
    > about JEdit,
    > TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else=20
    > would mostly=20
    > good ?

    I personally use jEdit, together with the plugins "Sidekick" and
    "RubyPlugin".
    Alternatively, you might want to have a look at Arcadia
    (http://arcadia.rubyforge.org/).

    In addition, I find the following utilities useful for having a quick
    on-line doc at your hand:=20

    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/fxri/
    http://eigenclass.org/hiki/fastri

    Ronald
    --=20
    Ronald Fischer <>
    Phone: +49-89-452133-162

    Ronald Fischer, Aug 7, 2007
  5. Lee NL

    Peña, Botp Guest

    From: Ronald Fischer [mailto:]=20
    # Alternatively, you might want to have a look at Arcadia
    # (http://arcadia.rubyforge.org/).

    duh, thanks for the link, ronald. I didn't know any ide w rad gui =
    support until now. .. gotta test this asap...

    kind regards -botp

    Peña, Botp, Aug 7, 2007
  6. > 2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
    > about JEdit,
    > TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
    > good ?

    I use Netbeans.

    Regards
    Pawel Stawicki

    Pawel Stawicki, Aug 7, 2007
  7. Lee NL

    Kaldrenon Guest

    On Aug 7, 1:55 am, Lee NL <> wrote:
    > 1. Any posting culture here ? or say, How to use this mailing list is
    > most proper ? em..
    > any DOs and DON'Ts ?

    Well if you've been on Usenet for any extended time (especially
    comp.lang.perl.misc), you already know that politeness isn't exactly a
    rule, so much as a hoped-for guideline. On c.l.r, I've never seen
    rudeness, and I've been reading regularly for over a month. Granted,
    I've also seen that the majority of original posts are thoughtful and
    intelligent, so the standard applies both ways, but the general rule
    of thumb is that Ruby makes people WANT to get along.

    > 2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
    > about JEdit,
    > TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
    > good ?

    I use emacs, but I'm not religious about it. I've heard good things so
    I'm trying to learn it, and it's great for its ability to work with
    multiple languages, but it's certainly not unique in that respect. Any
    of the multipurpose editors are good.

    > 3. Is that any dictionary like web site could quick check about the
    > standard commands' "build in " methods ?

    http://www.ruby-doc.org/core
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib
    http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/pickaxe/

    HTH,
    Andrew

    Kaldrenon, Aug 7, 2007
  8. Pawel Stawicki wrote:
    >> 2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
    >> about JEdit,
    >> TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
    >> good ?

    > I use Netbeans.
    >
    > Regards
    > Pawel Stawicki

    If you're just looking for an editor, most of them are good enough. I
    went with the Komodo IDE myself because it's cross-platform and because
    it supports all the major scripting languages. And of course if you're
    on a Macintosh, the overwhelming advice of the Ruby community is to get
    TextMate.

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Aug 7, 2007
  9. > > Alternatively, you might want to have a look at Arcadia
    > > (http://arcadia.rubyforge.org/).
    > >
    > > In addition, I find the following utilities useful for=20

    > having a quick
    > > on-line doc at your hand:=20
    > > =20

    > That's Wow! so I try immediately.... but I got the error of unable to=20
    > found tk84.dll.
    > Anyway, I do really want to retry on !

    You need to install Tk (Arcadia is a Ruby language which uses
    Tk, and Ruby does not come with the Tk runtime bundled). Unfortunately,
    this
    information is stated only vaguely on the Arcadia website
    ("...written in Ruby using the classic tcl/tk GUI toolkit").

    See http://ruby.about.com/od/desktop/p/ruby_tk.htm (in the section
    "Installation/
    Setup") on how to get the Tk runtime. This makes sense anyway, even if
    you in
    the end don't plan to use Arcadia, in case you want to write your own
    GUI applications
    using Ruby and Tk.

    Ronald

    Ronald Fischer, Aug 8, 2007
  10. On 8/7/07, Lee NL <> wrote:
    > 1. Any posting culture here ? or say, How to use this mailing list is
    > most proper ? em..
    > any DOs and DON'Ts ?

    Top posting is a no no here (i.e. replying to a mail with your response
    before the original comment - at the top). I am not entirely sure why,
    probably due to certain e-mail clients, but I just follow it.

    General forum/mailing list rules apply, except unlike other lists, they
    tend to be mutually observed here rather than rigorously enforced. It
    works. If this is your first post, you will fit right in.

    > 2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
    > about JEdit,
    > TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
    > good ?

    Its platform specific, and the answers are different if you are doing Rails
    development versus pure Ruby.

    I don't know Textpad well, but all the other candidates you mentioned
    are a cut above, with a lot of endorsements. I personally love Komodo on
    Windows for pure Ruby work, and I only use the free version. Aptana absorbed
    RadRails which was a real contender for best Rails develpment IDE.

    Netbeans ( a Java-based IDE) is making serious waves in the Rails IDE
    space. One to watch.

    > 3. Is that any dictionary like web site could quick check about the
    > standard commands'
    > "build in " methods ?

    Theres a few cheatsheets and reference guides for both Ruby and Rails.
    There are also several high quality Ruby Books available for free. And loads
    of high quality books available for purchase. The printed books on Ruby are
    of a particularly high standard. If you were to pick one at random off
    a bookshelf
    it would be unusual to pick a weak title.

    Anyway, welcome to the community and have fun.

    Richard.

    Richard Conroy, Aug 9, 2007