I came from Perl, and would ask for some quick start point

Lee NL

Dear all,

This is my first touch of Ruby, a sound very clear code for the whole
page! So lovely!
So I decide to go further with Ruby, but before that, would like to have
some hints from
you all! Any reference web page and comments are very welcome

1. Any posting culture here ? or say, How to use this mailing list is
most proper ? em..
any DOs and DON'Ts ?

2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
about JEdit,
TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
good ?

3. Is that any dictionary like web site could quick check about the
standard commands'
"build in " methods ?

Thanks in advise,
Lee

Robert Klemme

This is my first touch of Ruby, a sound very clear code for the whole
page! So lovely!
So I decide to go further with Ruby, but before that, would like to have
some hints from
you all! Any reference web page and comments are very welcome

Welcome to the world of Ruby! You'll find it's a most pleasant place.
1. Any posting culture here ? or say, How to use this mailing list is
most proper ? em..
any DOs and DON'Ts ?

Um, not much. Basically: be kind. :)
2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
about JEdit,
TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
good ?

I use Textpad and gvim frequently, but then again, I don't do larger
projects in Ruby. Choose what suits you best.
3. Is that any dictionary like web site could quick check about the
standard commands' "build in " methods ?

Please have a look at http://www.ruby-doc.org/ - the reference is in
section "Core API" and "Standard API". And then your installation's
"ri" command of course.

Kind regards

robert

PS: Have fun!

Robert Dober

Welcome to the world of Ruby! You'll find it's a most pleasant place.

Um, not much. Basically: be kind. :)
I'd like to add, do not top post, but that seems to be well known anyway ;)
I use Textpad and gvim frequently, but then again, I don't do larger
projects in Ruby. Choose what suits you best.

Please have a look at http://www.ruby-doc.org/ - the reference is in
section "Core API" and "Standard API". And then your installation's
"ri" command of course.
Sound advice, but sometimes this is quite useful too:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/
LHS lower frame
PS: Have fun!
Indeed ;)
Robert

Ronald Fischer

2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know=20
about JEdit,
TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else=20
would mostly=20
good ?

I personally use jEdit, together with the plugins "Sidekick" and
"RubyPlugin".
Alternatively, you might want to have a look at Arcadia
(http://arcadia.rubyforge.org/).

In addition, I find the following utilities useful for having a quick
on-line doc at your hand:=20

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/fxri/
http://eigenclass.org/hiki/fastri

Ronald
--=20
Ronald Fischer <[email protected]>
Phone: +49-89-452133-162

Pawel Stawicki

2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
about JEdit,
TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
good ?

I use Netbeans.

Regards
Pawel Stawicki

Kaldrenon

1. Any posting culture here ? or say, How to use this mailing list is
most proper ? em..
any DOs and DON'Ts ?

Well if you've been on Usenet for any extended time (especially
comp.lang.perl.misc), you already know that politeness isn't exactly a
rule, so much as a hoped-for guideline. On c.l.r, I've never seen
rudeness, and I've been reading regularly for over a month. Granted,
I've also seen that the majority of original posts are thoughtful and
intelligent, so the standard applies both ways, but the general rule
of thumb is that Ruby makes people WANT to get along.
2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
about JEdit,
TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
good ?

I use emacs, but I'm not religious about it. I've heard good things so
I'm trying to learn it, and it's great for its ability to work with
multiple languages, but it's certainly not unique in that respect. Any
of the multipurpose editors are good.
3. Is that any dictionary like web site could quick check about the
standard commands' "build in " methods ?

http://www.ruby-doc.org/core
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib
http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/pickaxe/

HTH,
Andrew

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Pawel said:
I use Netbeans.

Regards
Pawel Stawicki

If you're just looking for an editor, most of them are good enough. I
went with the Komodo IDE myself because it's cross-platform and because
it supports all the major scripting languages. And of course if you're
on a Macintosh, the overwhelming advice of the Ruby community is to get
TextMate.

Ronald Fischer

Alternatively, you might want to have a look at Arcadia
That's Wow! so I try immediately.... but I got the error of unable to=20
found tk84.dll.
Anyway, I do really want to retry on !

You need to install Tk (Arcadia is a Ruby language which uses
Tk, and Ruby does not come with the Tk runtime bundled). Unfortunately,
this
information is stated only vaguely on the Arcadia website
("...written in Ruby using the classic tcl/tk GUI toolkit").

See http://ruby.about.com/od/desktop/p/ruby_tk.htm (in the section
"Installation/
Setup") on how to get the Tk runtime. This makes sense anyway, even if
you in
the end don't plan to use Arcadia, in case you want to write your own
GUI applications
using Ruby and Tk.

Ronald

Richard Conroy

1. Any posting culture here ? or say, How to use this mailing list is
most proper ? em..
any DOs and DON'Ts ?

Top posting is a no no here (i.e. replying to a mail with your response
before the original comment - at the top). I am not entirely sure why,
probably due to certain e-mail clients, but I just follow it.

General forum/mailing list rules apply, except unlike other lists, they
tend to be mutually observed here rather than rigorously enforced. It
works. If this is your first post, you will fit right in.
2. What kind of code editor is mostly recommended for Ruby ? I know
about JEdit,
TextPad, Aptana, Scite and Komodo. but which one, or else would mostly
good ?

Its platform specific, and the answers are different if you are doing Rails
development versus pure Ruby.

I don't know Textpad well, but all the other candidates you mentioned
are a cut above, with a lot of endorsements. I personally love Komodo on
Windows for pure Ruby work, and I only use the free version. Aptana absorbed
RadRails which was a real contender for best Rails develpment IDE.

Netbeans ( a Java-based IDE) is making serious waves in the Rails IDE
space. One to watch.
3. Is that any dictionary like web site could quick check about the
standard commands'
"build in " methods ?

Theres a few cheatsheets and reference guides for both Ruby and Rails.
There are also several high quality Ruby Books available for free. And loads
of high quality books available for purchase. The printed books on Ruby are
of a particularly high standard. If you were to pick one at random off
a bookshelf
it would be unusual to pick a weak title.

Anyway, welcome to the community and have fun.

Richard.