    How can I fix it?

    Thank you.

    Chris
    chirs, Feb 2, 2004

  2. "chirs" ...
    > I am using Windows 2000 server with IE 6. I have installed Java SDK
    > 1.4.2 and Runtime.

    1st, confirm you are actually _using_ the 1.4 plug-in..
    http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp
    test for a 1.2 JRE, if it redirects to the 'oldjava'
    page, your IE is not using the plug-in.

    A second test would be to visit..
    http://www.physci.org/codes/ziplet.jsp
    select 'Code Zip' from the drop-down
    menu (any will do, but PhySci is over
    1Meg)

    The ziplet applet uses Swing, and will
    definitely not work if you do not have the
    plug-in enabled.

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 3, 2004

  3. chirs

    chirs Guest

    Hi,

    Thank you for the two links.
    It says my browser has version 1.4 but not 1.5. I can see the code.zip
    and all the folders. What should I try next?

    Chirs
    chirs, Feb 3, 2004
  4. chirs wrote:
    ( re: http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp )
    > It says my browser has version 1.4 but not 1.5. I can see the code.zip
    > and all the folders. What should I try next?

    That definitely confirms you are using 1.4.
    I am afraid you have me stumped.

    I had a quick look at my own version of..
    C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\demo\applets\CardTest\example1.html
    and it works fine this end (IE6 on XP)

    Does your Java Console (under the tools menu)
    give any messages?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 3, 2004
  5. chirs

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "chirs" <> wrote in message
    > It says my browser has version 1.4 but not 1.5. I can see the code.zip
    > and all the folders. What should I try next?

    http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp, in a browser with both the Microsoft
    JVM and the current Sun JVM, reports you have Java 1.4, even if the
    Microsoft JVM is the one that is active.

    Try http://segal.org/java/configuration/. It should tell you which Java VM
    is being used. If it is the Microsoft one, turn on the Sun JVM to run Java
    1.2 or higher code, using Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Java (Sun).
    Mickey Segal, Feb 3, 2004
  6. "Mickey Segal" <> wrote in message
    > "chirs" <> wrote in message
    > > It says my browser has version 1.4 but not 1.5. I can see the code.zip
    > > and all the folders. What should I try next?

    > http://www.physci.org/codes/jre.jsp, in a browser with both the Microsoft
    > JVM and the current Sun JVM, reports you have Java 1.4, even if the
    > Microsoft JVM is the one that is active.

    No way! Just tested it myself..

    _However_ I did still have an old version
    of the applet call that attempted to open
    'oldjava.jsp' in a new window. Might
    that be the problem? *

    [ * If it is, it would be rather ironic given
    your perennial problems re new windows! ]

    I have now uploaded a new version of the
    applet tag without the 'target' parameter,
    could I coax you into giving it another try
    Mickey?

    [ I realise it's a lot of hassle to 'restart' in order
    to swap VM's but I would appreciate if you
    could give it a try. ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 3, 2004
  7. chirs

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > _However_ I did still have an old version
    > of the applet call that attempted to open
    > 'oldjava.jsp' in a new window. Might
    > that be the problem? *
    >
    > [ * If it is, it would be rather ironic given
    > your perennial problems re new windows! ]
    >
    > I have now uploaded a new version of the
    > applet tag without the 'target' parameter,
    > could I coax you into giving it another try
    > Mickey?
    >
    > [ I realise it's a lot of hassle to 'restart' in order
    > to swap VM's but I would appreciate if you
    > could give it a try. ]

    Now it works as expected.

    BTW, I use M. Gallant's utility to hot-swap JVMs without restarting the
    browser:
    http://pages.istar.ca/~neutron/SelectIEJVM/
    It works well, though one gets a security warning every time it is opened.

    One other suggestion: One can't backspace out of your oldjava page. I
    think you need to do a replace instead of a forward so as keep the user from
    feeling trapped.
    Mickey Segal, Feb 3, 2004
  8. Go to http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

    This page has a work-around/patch it's about 15 megs

    Justin & Whitney Johnson, Feb 4, 2004
  9. "Mickey Segal" <> wrote in message
    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > > _However_ I did still have an old version
    > > of the applet call that attempted to open
    > > 'oldjava.jsp' in a new window. Might
    > > that be the problem? *

    > Now it works as expected.

    Thanks.

    > BTW, I use M. Gallant's utility to hot-swap JVMs without restarting the
    > browser:
    > http://pages.istar.ca/~neutron/SelectIEJVM/
    > It works well, though one gets a security warning every time it is opened.
    >
    > One other suggestion: One can't backspace out of your oldjava page. I
    > think you need to do a replace instead of a forward so as keep the user

    from
    > feeling trapped.

    I don't understand, (I do understand 'do not break
    the "back" button', which I certainly am) but I do not
    understand this alternative you are alluding to.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 4, 2004
  10. chirs

    > I don't understand, (I do understand 'do not break
    > the "back" button', which I certainly am) but I do not
    > understand this alternative you are alluding to.

    I was suggesting something like:
    or using JavaScript's:
    location.replace("http://MyOtherDomain.org");
    Mickey Segal, Feb 4, 2004
  11. chirs

    chirs Guest

    It is OK after I restarted the PC. It seems after download the Java
    plugin, I need to restart the PC in order to make some of the local
    applets work. Before restarting the PC, all applets on internet
    websites worked and one applet I downloaded onto the PC worked as
    well. Only the java demo applets and some applets I copied, such as
    HelloWorld.class did not work.

    Chris
    chirs, Feb 5, 2004