I can't install any GUI via gems, please help.

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Alexander Ljungstrom, Sep 27, 2009.

  1. Hello! I am new at the forum, but i have a huge problem. For the last
    weeks i have been learning some about ruby, i bought a book and coded
    like hell(i mainly develop in C# otherwise). It's been going on very
    good so far (i think), and i think it's really funny! But i would like
    to try on to work with a GUI.

    I have tried to install
    *Fxruby
    *wXruby
    *gtk2

    but nothing works, rubygems install it correctly etc. But then i get the
    same error on all of the GUI's when i try to require them. "Cant find
    the module blabla". And i have done as the troubleshoots says in alot of
    installationguides, i have reinstalled, try to changed paths etc. But
    nothing works.
    But it's not a problem to install other things with gems. But GUI is
    just messed up.

    (Oh, and also. If i try to require 'rubygems' in my code i get error for
    some reason, but gems works just fine.)
    Somebody got an idea? Thanks alot
    /Alex
    Alexander Ljungstrom, Sep 27, 2009

  2. Alexander Ljungstrom

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Sep 27, 10:24 am, Alexander Ljungstrom <>
    wrote:
    > Hello! I am new at the forum, but i have a huge problem. For the last
    > weeks i have been learning some about ruby, i bought a book and coded
    > like hell(i mainly develop in C# otherwise). It's been going on very
    > good so far (i think), and i think it's really funny! But i would like
    > to try on to work with a GUI.
    >
    > I have tried to install
    > *Fxruby
    > *wXruby
    > *gtk2
    >
    > but nothing works, rubygems install it correctly etc. But then i get the
    > same error on all of the GUI's when i try to require them. "Cant find
    > the module blabla". And i have done as the troubleshoots says in alot of
    > installationguides, i have reinstalled, try to changed paths etc. But
    > nothing works.
    > But it's not a problem to install other things with gems. But GUI is
    > just messed up.
    >
    > (Oh, and also. If i try to require 'rubygems' in my code i get error for
    > some reason, but gems works just fine.)
    > Somebody got an idea? Thanks alot
    > /Alex

    Alex,

    When you say that you get an error, including the exact error message
    in your post and the backtrace you get from it will really help us
    help you.

    Just saying "I have a problem" and not giving us the proper background
    we can't help you.

    Please include:

    1) ruby -v
    2) gem env
    3) A simple test script that recreates the issue
    4) the exact output you're getting.

    If 3 and 4 are longer than a post, please use a paste service like
    pastie:

    http://pastie.org/

    Again, help us help you.

    --
    Luis Lavena
    Luis Lavena, Sep 27, 2009

  3. Luis Lavena wrote:
    > On Sep 27, 10:24�am, Alexander Ljungstrom <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Somebody got an idea? Thanks alot
    >> /Alex

    > Alex,
    >
    > When you say that you get an error, including the exact error message
    > in your post and the backtrace you get from it will really help us
    > help you.
    >
    > Just saying "I have a problem" and not giving us the proper background
    > we can't help you.
    >
    > Please include:
    >
    > 1) ruby -v
    > 2) gem env
    > 3) A simple test script that recreates the issue
    > 4) the exact output you're getting.
    >
    > If 3 and 4 are longer than a post, please use a paste service like
    > pastie:
    >
    > http://pastie.org/
    >
    > Again, help us help you.

    You've got absolutely right. Sorry about the lack of information. I use
    Windows XP if it is at any help.

    1.) Ruby-v :: ruby 1.9.1p129 <2009-05-12 revision 23412> [i386-mingw32]
    2.) Rubygems Evironment:
    -RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5
    -RUBY VERSION: 1.9.1 <2009-05-12 patchlevel 129> [i386-mingw32]
    -INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
    -RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/ruby19/bin/ruby.exe
    -EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/ruby19/bin
    -RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS
    - ruby
    - x86-mingw32
    - GEM PATHS:
    - C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
    - C:/Document and Settings/OSDEALLJ08/.gem/ruby/1.9.1
    - GEM CONFIGURATION
    - :update_sources => true
    - :verbose => true
    - :benchmark => false
    - :backtrace => false
    - :bulk_treshold => 1000
    - REMOTE SOURCES:
    - http://gems.rubyforge.org

    Here is a simple textscript for "wxruby" that generates the error.
    First a popup-warning: http://i35.tinypic.com/2i2m4x.png - It is in
    Swedish, the translation is: "This program could not be started because
    msvcrt-ruby18.dll could not be found. This problem can be fixed by
    reinstalling this program".
    Or something simular (I do not know the exact translation)

    When i click "OK" the DOS-prompt generates the following error.
    http://i35.tinypic.com/2d6winl.png
    It sais "Det går inte att hitta den angivna modulen" - Translation: "The
    specified module cannot be found" - Or something simular, but it
    complains about the module cannot be found.

    That loaderror happends for ALL the gui-libs i try to include.
    Please help me, i really wanna continue with ruby.
    Thanks alot for the answers!
    Alexander Ljungstrom, Sep 27, 2009
  4. Edit:
    This happends nomather the script i write, whenever i require a GUI i
    get this error. The module can't be find, and then the strange output.
    Alexander Ljungstrom, Sep 27, 2009
  5. Alexander Ljungstrom

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Sep 27, 12:53 pm, Alexander Ljungstrom <>
    wrote:
    > Luis Lavena wrote:
    > > On Sep 27, 10:24 am, Alexander Ljungstrom <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> Somebody got an idea? Thanks alot
    > >> /Alex

    > > Alex,

    > > When you say that you get an error, including the exact error message
    > > in your post and the backtrace you get from it will really help us
    > > help you.

    > > Just saying "I have a problem" and not giving us the proper background
    > > we can't help you.

    > > Please include:

    > > 1) ruby -v
    > > 2) gem env
    > > 3) A simple test script that recreates the issue
    > > 4) the exact output you're getting.

    > > If 3 and 4 are longer than a post, please use a paste service like
    > > pastie:

    > >http://pastie.org/

    > > Again, help us help you.

    > You've got absolutely right. Sorry about the lack of information. I use
    > Windows XP if it is at any help.
    >
    > 1.) Ruby-v :: ruby 1.9.1p129 <2009-05-12 revision 23412> [i386-mingw32]
    > 2.) Rubygems Evironment:
    > -RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5
    > -RUBY VERSION: 1.9.1 <2009-05-12 patchlevel 129> [i386-mingw32]
    > -INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
    > -RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/ruby19/bin/ruby.exe
    > -EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/ruby19/bin
    > -RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS
    >   - ruby
    >   - x86-mingw32
    > - GEM PATHS:
    >   - C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
    >   - C:/Document and Settings/OSDEALLJ08/.gem/ruby/1.9.1
    > - GEM CONFIGURATION
    >   - :update_sources => true
    >   - :verbose => true
    >   - :benchmark => false
    >   - :backtrace => false
    >   - :bulk_treshold => 1000
    > - REMOTE SOURCES:
    >   -http://gems.rubyforge.org
    >
    > Here is a simple textscript for "wxruby" that generates the error.
    > First a popup-warning:http://i35.tinypic.com/2i2m4x.png- It is in
    > Swedish, the translation is: "This program could not be started because
    > msvcrt-ruby18.dll could not be found. This problem can be fixed by
    > reinstalling this program".
    > Or something simular (I do not know the exact translation)
    >
    > When i click "OK" the DOS-prompt generates the following error.http://i35..tinypic.com/2d6winl.png
    > It sais "Det går inte att hitta den angivna modulen" - Translation: "The
    > specified module cannot be found" - Or something simular, but it
    > complains about the module cannot be found.
    >
    > That loaderror happends for ALL the gui-libs i try to include.
    > Please help me, i really wanna continue with ruby.
    > Thanks alot for the answers!

    The issue is that you're using a binary gem that was compiled for Ruby
    1.8, and you're using Ruby 1.9

    If you see the contents of Ruby\bin folder, you will see 'msvcrt-
    ruby191.dll', which is the runtime library for Ruby 1.9.1

    This happens because binaries produced for Ruby 1.8 are linked to the
    runtime library, and 1.9.x differs in API from 1.8.x

    In the case of wxRuby, I recommend you look here:

    http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=35

    Which seems to indicate an special gem for 1.9

    I recommend getting in touch with GUI authors and find out how to
    obtain binaries for 1.9.x or how to build them, since you're using the
    new version of RubyInstaller, which is GCC powered and, in combination
    with DevKit you can build binaries.

    Hope that helps,
    --
    Luis Lavena
    Luis Lavena, Sep 27, 2009
  6. Luis Lavena wrote:
    > Hope that helps,

    Thanks for the good answer. Unfortanly my entire ruby-setup is really
    messed up at the moment, alot of gems (outdated), strange things and
    several different installations have apparently knocked my beloved ruby
    to death. :-/

    Is there any way to uninstall ruby + all gems and everything that have
    anything to do with ruby? Cause as i said, my ruby doesn't feel good.

    By the way, thanks alot as you help me so much!

    Alexander Ljungstrom, Sep 27, 2009
  7. Alexander Ljungstrom

    Walton Hoops Guest

    Uninstall ruby from the Control Panel -> Program files
    Delete all contents from C:\Ruby (of where-ever your installation =
    is)(important)
    Reinstall ruby.
    It's that easy :)
    Walton Hoops, Sep 27, 2009