I can't regain control of my form

Piccolo Pete

This is a bit "wordy", but here is the scoop. I'm using Microsoft Visual
Studio for VC++ in
Windows 2000.

I made an application which had no form in it. So when I ran the
application, I just got a DOS box that showed some progress info. I then
decided to add a form... So I made a new application and started with
creating the form. Then I copied and pasted cpp code into places where I
thought they should go - leaving out the stuff that would print to the DOS
box. Pfff.....

The program works, but as soon as it gets into the meat of the real
application, I lose control of the form and can't change things.

Now... it is very likely that this may be due to the fact that the real
application is running all over the place and doesn't have time to bother
with the form - but I really think I should be able to get back to the form
so I can change things on the fly.

I should let you know that I'm using an SDK. I've noticed that the form
creates an area in the .cpp with event handlers - but my application uses
event handlers involved with the SDK. These event handlers are not active
until I hit the "Connect" button - and that is when I lose control.

I'll try to be a little more exact. I'm using the 3d chat - Active Worlds
SDK. The form takes information from two ini files and loads it. I hit the
connect button, it connects and the application runs fine - but I have lost
my form control at that point. Funny thing... before I hit connect - I
can't close or minimize the form yet I have control of the edit boxes in the
form and can load and save to ini files - but after I hit connect, the
minimize and close functions work, yet I can't get to the edit boxes. I
think the basic code is good - I just got some stuff out of place or I'm
missing a message somewhere along the way.

Got any clues?

Maybe I'm a complete idiot and should have the real application separate
from the form? As it is right now, the real application is in the form
..cpp - the form .cpp does not call up the real application because it is
already there. I think that is my problem... but I don't know how to run
another .cpp from the form. I hope I am making sense here... Should I
study up a bit more on resourcing stuff? Thinking to myself... the form
should be running in one section of memory - and the application in another.
When I change the form, the form sends a message to the application and the
application adjusts itself. As it stands right now, since the main
application is in the form, the form code is ignored once the connect button
is hit. If I am correct, or if you have other suggestions, please give me a
hand here.

P2

Victor Bazarov

Piccolo said:
This is a bit "wordy", but here is the scoop. I'm using Microsoft
Visual Studio for VC++ in
Windows 2000.

I made an application which had no form in it. So when I ran the
application, I just got a DOS box that showed some progress info. I
then decided to add a form... [..]

You're in a wrong newsgroup. You need a Windows programming newsgroup
or a Visual C++ newsgroup.

Piccolo Pete

Victor Bazarov said:
Piccolo said:
This is a bit "wordy", but here is the scoop. I'm using Microsoft
Visual Studio for VC++ in
Windows 2000.

I made an application which had no form in it. So when I ran the
application, I just got a DOS box that showed some progress info. I
then decided to add a form... [..]

You're in a wrong newsgroup. You need a Windows programming newsgroup
or a Visual C++ newsgroup.

bleh...

my first question to you is... are you a problem poster with a serious
attitude? You didn't give any real recommendations and there are no
recognizable newsgroups on my server that meet your suggested criteria. So
I posted here...

Next time - if you can't give good info, then don't respond at all and you
won't look like a complete jackass.

P2

Alf P. Steinbach

* Piccolo Pete:
Victor Bazarov said:
Piccolo said:
This is a bit "wordy", but here is the scoop. I'm using Microsoft
Visual Studio for VC++ in
Windows 2000.

I made an application which had no form in it. So when I ran the
application, I just got a DOS box that showed some progress info. I
then decided to add a form... [..]
You're in a wrong newsgroup. You need a Windows programming newsgroup
or a Visual C++ newsgroup.

bleh...

my first question to you is... are you a problem poster with a serious
attitude? You didn't give any real recommendations and there are no
recognizable newsgroups on my server that meet your suggested criteria. So
I posted here...

Next time - if you can't give good info, then don't respond at all and you
won't look like a complete jackass.

Victor is a long-time regular here, and provided correct and sound advice.

You're evidently a complete newbie with an attitude.

Please read the FAQ and the monthly welcome message before posting more
drivel (posting under your real name might also be worth considering).

BobR

Alf P. Steinbach wrote in message said:
* Piccolo Pete:

Victor is a long-time regular here, and provided correct and sound advice.

You're evidently a complete newbie with an attitude.

Please read the FAQ and the monthly welcome message before posting more
drivel (posting under your real name might also be worth considering).

We used to smash Piccolo Petes in the middle with a pair of pliers, then they
would blow up at the end of their run!! [fireworks]

Maybe that's what happened here. <G>

benben

my first question to you is... are you a problem poster with a serious
attitude? You didn't give any real recommendations and there are no
recognizable newsgroups on my server that meet your suggested criteria. So
I posted here...

A real recommendation was indeed given--that you go to another group
dedicated to your problem.

You may try any of the microsoft.public.vc.* newsgroups.

Regards,
Ben

Noah Roberts

Piccolo said:
my first question to you is... are you a problem poster with a serious
attitude?

He certainly can be but in this case he is 100% right. There are lots
of microsoft programmer newsgroups and help there will be more accurate
and more available. You can be writing a microsoft platform specific
program and still ask questions here, when they pertain to the language
and the standard library...but when it gets to questions about how to
make some windows form to work or use some windows api function then
you need to find a group that caters to that type of material.

Good luck.

Alan Johnson

Piccolo said:
there are no
recognizable newsgroups on my server that meet your suggested criteria.

(offtopic)

Microsoft provides a NNTP server, msnews.microsoft.com, that you can use
if your server does not carry their groups.

Alan

Alex Buell

Microsoft provides a NNTP server, msnews.microsoft.com, that you can use
if your server does not carry their groups.

I'm surprised they even do that considering their history of
disregarding usenet standards.

Piccolo Pete

benben said:
A real recommendation was indeed given--that you go to another group
dedicated to your problem.

You may try any of the microsoft.public.vc.* newsgroups.

Regards,
Ben

Thanks