i cant think of a way to do that ?

Discussion in 'Java' started by dbstyless@hotmail.com, Apr 30, 2008.

  1. Guest

    The programming assignment is to implement a class Purse. A purse
    contains a collection of coins. Each coin object must contain its
    name. You should not put a limit on the number of coins that a purse
    can hold. This program should provide the user with the ability to
    display the contents of the purse, add coins, count coins, calculate
    the amount of money in purse and for extra credit, spend coins. You
    will need 2 Java Object Classes: one to define the Coin objects, and
    one for the Purse object.

    There is a sample PurseTester class and its output. You are required
    to use this class to test your code but you may make modifications to
    the method calls to match your method names.

    public class PurseTester {
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
    Purse myPurse = new Purse();
    System.out.println("Created my purse!");
    System.out.println("My Purse = " + myPurse.toString());
    System.out.println(String.format("Total value = $%.2f\n",
    myPurse.getTotalValue()));

    System.out.println("Trying to add an invalid coin called
    Dollar...");
    myPurse.addCoin(new Coin("Dollar"));
    System.out.println("My Purse = " + myPurse.toString());
    System.out.println(String.format("Total value = $%.2f\n",
    myPurse.getTotalValue()));

    System.out.println("Adding coins to purse");
    myPurse.addCoin(new Coin(Coin.PENNY));
    myPurse.addCoin(new Coin(Coin.NICKEL));
    myPurse.addCoin(new Coin(Coin.PENNY));
    myPurse.addCoin(new Coin(Coin.PENNY));
    myPurse.addCoin(new Coin(Coin.QUARTER));
    myPurse.addCoin(new Coin(Coin.QUARTER));
    System.out.println("My Purse = " + myPurse.toString());
    System.out.println("I have " + myPurse.countCoin(Coin.PENNY) +
    " pennies, " +
    myPurse.countCoin(Coin.NICKEL)
    + " nickels, " +
    myPurse.countCoin(Coin.DIME) +
    " dimes, and " +
    myPurse.countCoin(Coin.QUARTER)
    + "quarters.");
    System.out.println(String.format("Total value = $%.2f\n",
    myPurse.getTotalValue()));

    /* extra credit from here on down */
    System.out.println("Attempting to spend dime that you don't have.");
    if (myPurse.spendCoin(Coin.DIME))
    System.out.println(Coin.DIME + " was spent!");
    else
    System.out.println("No " + Coin.DIME + " was found in
    purse!");

    System.out.println("\nAdding a dime.");
    myPurse.addCoin(new Coin(Coin.DIME));
    System.out.println("My Purse = " + myPurse.toString());
    System.out.println("I have " + myPurse.countCoin(Coin.PENNY) +
    " pennies, " +
    myPurse.countCoin(Coin.NICKEL)
    + " nickels, " +
    myPurse.countCoin(Coin.DIME) +
    " dimes, and " +
    myPurse.countCoin(Coin.QUARTER)
    + "quarters.");
    System.out.println(String.format("Total value = $%.2f\n",
    myPurse.getTotalValue()));

    System.out.println("Spending all my money...");
    myPurse.spendCoin(Coin.DIME);
    myPurse.spendCoin(Coin.QUARTER);
    myPurse.spendCoin(Coin.QUARTER);
    myPurse.spendCoin(Coin.PENNY);
    myPurse.spendCoin(Coin.PENNY);
    myPurse.spendCoin(Coin.NICKEL);
    myPurse.spendCoin(Coin.PENNY);
    System.out.println("My Purse = " + myPurse.toString());
    System.out.println(String.format("Total value = $%.2f\n",
    myPurse.getTotalValue()));
    Output from PurseTester

    Created my purse!
    My Purse = Purse[]
    Total value = $0.00

    Trying to add an invalid coin called Dollar...
    My Purse = Purse[]
    Total value = $0.00

    Adding coins to purse
    My Purse = Purse[Penny,Nickel,Penny,Penny,Quarter,Quarter]
    I have 3 pennies, 1 nickels, 0 dimes, and 2 quarters.
    Total value = $0.58

    Attempting to spend dime that you don't have.
    No Dime was found in purse!

    Adding a dime.
    My Purse = Purse[Penny,Nickel,Penny,Penny,Quarter,Quarter,Dime]
    I have 3 pennies, 1 nickels, 1 dimes, and 2 quarters.
    Total value = $0.68

    Spending all my money...
    My Purse = Purse[]
    Total value = $0.00
    , Apr 30, 2008

  2. If you don't want to limit the amount of coins then you should use
    something like an ArrayList instead of an array.
    Chase Preuninger, Apr 30, 2008

  3. <> wrote in message
    > The programming assignment is to implement a class Purse. A purse
    > contains a collection of coins. Each coin object must contain its
    > name. You should not put a limit on the number of coins that a purse
    > can hold. This program should provide the user with the ability to
    > display the contents of the purse, add coins, count coins, calculate
    > the amount of money in purse and for extra credit, spend coins. You
    > will need 2 Java Object Classes: one to define the Coin objects, and
    > one for the Purse object.
    >
    > There is a sample PurseTester class and its output. You are required
    > to use this class to test your code but you may make modifications to
    > the method calls to match your method names.

    [ SNIP ]

    I am compelled to ask...what institution or individual is offering the
    course in which this assignment was given?

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Apr 30, 2008