I didn't think they still made pages like this any more

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Someone mentioned Béatrice Schönberg (a French TV journalist) on
another group and I unwisely went to her site:

http://www.beatrice-schonberg.c.la/

It looks like something from the 1990s, complete with "This site is
optimized for...". I realize, of course, that there are still some
pretty awful sites out there, but as they usually don't interest me I
usually don't see them. What struck me about this one is that in some
ways it's very professional, whereas most of the awful sites I see are
clearly constructed by the utterly clueless.

cwdjrxyz

Someone mentioned Béatrice Schönberg (a French TV journalist)  on
another group and I unwisely went to her site:

       http://www.beatrice-schonberg.c.la/

It looks like something from the 1990s, complete with "This site is
optimized for...". I realize, of course, that there are still some
pretty awful sites out there, but as they usually don't interest me I
usually don't see them. What struck me about this one is that in some
ways it's very professional, whereas most of the awful sites I see are
clearly constructed by the utterly clueless.

Since there is no Docytype, the W3C validator defaults to 4.01. For
the main page, there are only 12 formal errors, but then the main page
is very short. Forcing validation as html 3.2 or even 2 gives a few
more errors. Validating one of the frame pages as html 4.01 gives 25
errors, mostly associated with frame code.

My favorite bit of code is: <p align = "left">&nbs; ----- which goes
on for much over 50 &nbs; where I got tired of counting and scrolling
the page to the right..

But the code does use flash where dhtml might have been used in the
1990s.

This reminds me of the stories about an old MD who was legendary in my
home town when I was young. He received his MD in the very late 1800s
are early 1900s. Although he used sulfa drugs and later antibiotics
when they became available, he continued also to use treatments
popular about 1900. He nearly always started out giving one extremely
strong purgatives to clean "toxins" from your digestive system. Some
said you needed to take an encyclopedia to read in the bathroom, for
you were likely to be there all day. Others said these strong drugs
made you feel as if you were going to be turned inside out. If you had
a wound, he would pour old fashioned antiseptics such as iodine or
phenol solutions over it, and this was quite painful. Later he would
sprinkle sulfa drugs over the wound also. Still later, he would also
add an injection of antibiotics. And if you had a sore throat, he used
and instrument with 3 gauze pads saturated with iodine solution to
swab out your throat as a start.

dorayme

<[email protected]

Except that it is not particularly optimal at that size, working
well enough at lesser sizes. Perhaps that is what makes it more

[...]

I think ages ago I read with horror in the novel Auto-da-Fé of
tonsils being extracted by forceps while the boy was strapped
down in a chair. I suppose your home town was lucky he was not a
surgeon doing heavy lifting medical work.

TK

I think ages ago I read with horror in the novel Auto-da-Fé of
tonsils being extracted by forceps while the boy was strapped
down in a chair. I suppose your home town was lucky he was not a
surgeon doing heavy lifting medical work.
My great aunt walked 6 miles to the doctor's office when she was 8 years
old, had her tonsils and adenoids removed and walked home. Why she did
not bleed to death on the way home is beyond my understanding.

Allodoxaphobia

Someone mentioned Béatrice Schönberg (a French TV journalist) on
another group and I unwisely went to her site:

http://www.beatrice-schonberg.c.la/

It looks like something from the 1990s, complete with "This site is
optimized for...". I realize, of course, that there are still some
pretty awful sites out there, but as they usually don't interest me I
usually don't see them. What struck me about this one is that in some
ways it's very professional, whereas most of the awful sites I see are
clearly constructed by the utterly clueless.

Reeks of narcissism, doesn't it?

dorayme

Allodoxaphobia said:

Reeks of narcissism, doesn't it?

Why "reeks"? Is this bad? She is very much in tune with my own
thoughts of myself, which is the main issue always for me.