    clearly constructed by the utterly clueless.

    --
    athel

    Athel Cornish-Bowden, Aug 12, 2011

  2. Athel Cornish-Bowden

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Aug 12, 12:58 pm, Athel Cornish-Bowden <-mrs.fr>
    wrote:
    > Someone mentioned Béatrice Schönberg (a French TV journalist)  on
    > another group and I unwisely went to her site:
    >
    >        http://www.beatrice-schonberg.c.la/
    >
    > It looks like something from the 1990s, complete with "This site is
    > optimized for...". I realize, of course, that there are still some
    > pretty awful sites out there, but as they usually don't interest me I
    > usually don't see them. What struck me about this one is that in some
    > ways it's very professional, whereas most of the awful sites I see are
    > clearly constructed by the utterly clueless.

    Since there is no Docytype, the W3C validator defaults to 4.01. For
    the main page, there are only 12 formal errors, but then the main page
    is very short. Forcing validation as html 3.2 or even 2 gives a few
    more errors. Validating one of the frame pages as html 4.01 gives 25
    errors, mostly associated with frame code.

    My favorite bit of code is: <p align = "left">&nbs; ----- which goes
    on for much over 50 &nbs; where I got tired of counting and scrolling
    the page to the right..

    But the code does use flash where dhtml might have been used in the
    1990s.

    This reminds me of the stories about an old MD who was legendary in my
    home town when I was young. He received his MD in the very late 1800s
    are early 1900s. Although he used sulfa drugs and later antibiotics
    when they became available, he continued also to use treatments
    popular about 1900. He nearly always started out giving one extremely
    strong purgatives to clean "toxins" from your digestive system. Some
    said you needed to take an encyclopedia to read in the bathroom, for
    you were likely to be there all day. Others said these strong drugs
    made you feel as if you were going to be turned inside out. If you had
    a wound, he would pour old fashioned antiseptics such as iodine or
    phenol solutions over it, and this was quite painful. Later he would
    sprinkle sulfa drugs over the wound also. Still later, he would also
    add an injection of antibiotics. And if you had a sore throat, he used
    and instrument with 3 gauze pads saturated with iodine solution to
    swab out your throat as a start.

    cwdjrxyz, Aug 12, 2011

  3. Athel Cornish-Bowden

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <

    cwdjrxyz <> wrote:

    > On Aug 12, 12:58 pm, Athel Cornish-Bowden <-mrs.fr>
    > wrote:
    > > Someone mentioned Béatrice Schönberg (a French TV journalist)  on
    > > another group and I unwisely went to her site:
    > >
    > >        http://www.beatrice-schonberg.c.la/
    > >
    > > It looks like something from the 1990s, complete with "This site is
    > > optimized for...". I realize, of course, that there are still some
    > > pretty awful sites out there,

    Except that it is not particularly optimal at that size, working
    well enough at lesser sizes. Perhaps that is what makes it more
    professional. <g>

    > > ...What struck me about this one is that in some
    > > ways it's very professional, ...

    > But the code does use flash where dhtml might have been used in the
    > 1990s.
    >
    > This reminds me of the stories about an old MD who was legendary in my
    > home town when I was young. He received his MD in the very late 1800s
    > are early 1900s. Although he used sulfa drugs and later antibiotics
    > when they became available, he continued also to use treatments
    > popular about 1900. He nearly always started out giving one extremely
    > strong purgatives to clean "toxins" from your digestive system. Some
    > said you needed to take an encyclopedia to read in the bathroom, for
    > you were likely to be there all day. Others said these strong drugs
    > made you feel as if you were going to be turned inside out. If you had
    > a wound, he would pour old fashioned antiseptics such as iodine or
    > phenol solutions over it, and this was quite painful. Later he would
    > sprinkle sulfa drugs over the wound also. Still later, he would also
    > add an injection of antibiotics. And if you had a sore throat, he used
    > and instrument with 3 gauze pads saturated with iodine solution to
    > swab out your throat as a start.

    I think ages ago I read with horror in the novel Auto-da-Fé of
    tonsils being extracted by forceps while the boy was strapped
    down in a chair. I suppose your home town was lucky he was not a
    surgeon doing heavy lifting medical work.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 13, 2011
  4. Athel Cornish-Bowden

    TK Guest

    On 8/12/2011 6:12 PM, dorayme wrote:

    > I think ages ago I read with horror in the novel Auto-da-Fé of
    > tonsils being extracted by forceps while the boy was strapped
    > down in a chair. I suppose your home town was lucky he was not a
    > surgeon doing heavy lifting medical work.

    My great aunt walked 6 miles to the doctor's office when she was 8 years
    old, had her tonsils and adenoids removed and walked home. Why she did
    not bleed to death on the way home is beyond my understanding.

    --
    TK ~ aka Terry Kimpling
    http://wejuggle2.com/

    TK, Aug 13, 2011
  5. On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 19:58:46 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
    > Someone mentioned Béatrice Schönberg (a French TV journalist) on
    > another group and I unwisely went to her site:
    >
    > http://www.beatrice-schonberg.c.la/
    >
    > It looks like something from the 1990s, complete with "This site is
    > optimized for...". I realize, of course, that there are still some
    > pretty awful sites out there, but as they usually don't interest me I
    > usually don't see them. What struck me about this one is that in some
    > ways it's very professional, whereas most of the awful sites I see are
    > clearly constructed by the utterly clueless.

    Reeks of narcissism, doesn't it?

    Allodoxaphobia, Aug 13, 2011
  6. Athel Cornish-Bowden

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Allodoxaphobia <> wrote:

    > > http://www.beatrice-schonberg.c.la/

    > Reeks of narcissism, doesn't it?

    Why "reeks"? Is this bad? She is very much in tune with my own
    thoughts of myself, which is the main issue always for me.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 14, 2011