I.E.6 / Javascript causing 100% CPU Usage

Kevin

I'm really hoping someone out there can help me with an unusual,
frustrating XP problem that I just can't seem to fix.

When certain web pages are opened with my Internet Explorer 6, it
causes the CPU to jump up to 100% usage, and my computer comes to
almost a halt. The culprit, according to Task Manager, is always
IEXPLORE.EXE, or at least one of the IEXPLORE.EXEs if there are
multiple instances.

I've noticed a common thread to virtually all sites that cause the
CPU to run at 100% -- Javascript. Pages containing Javascript are
virtually always the problem. Examples:

1) almost all pop up windows
2) Yahoo! Mail
3) Match.com Searches
4) All Music Guide

I'm not a computer expert at all, so I've only done what I can think
of, or what has been suggested to me. I've checked/removed
spyware/malware with multiple pieces of software (Spybot, etc.) I've
defragged. I've checked for viruses using both NAV and PC-cillin.
I've used my System Mechanic program to go through almost all
fixes/maintanance/optimizers. The only thing i haven't been able to
do is Windows ChkDisk, because it gets stuck every time I try to use
it. Nothing has helped and I'm out of ideas.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts or suggestions?

Much appreciated - Kevin

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

[Fullquote because of X-Post]
[...]

Strange. Do you mean by `gets stuck' that it refuses repairing because
"the drive is in use"? If so, try `chkdsk /f', confirm the check to be
done on next boot and reboot the system.

You could also try Norton Disk Doctor for 2k/XP, but it will also
trigger `chkdsk' planning if it is a partition currently used. And
it could be then you just *think* `chkdsk' gets stuck and in fact
does is *not*, only needing more time than you think (check the HDD
LED of your case if you have one and it is connected.)
Nothing has helped and I'm out of ideas.

If nothing of the above helps, repair/reinstall the kIndergarten
Exploder and/or XP or, switch to a UA not inherently insecure,
like Mozilla/5.0. You have no problem that can be solved with
JavaScript, so this is off-topic here. Newsgroups for IE and
Windows XP exist, though.

X-Post & F'up2 microsoft.public.win2000.general, answers will
automagically appear there if unchanged.
Does anyone out there have any thoughts or suggestions?

Much appreciated - Kevin

[x] done

HTH

PointedEars