I.E.6 / Javascript causing 100% CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Kevin, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    I'm really hoping someone out there can help me with an unusual,
    frustrating XP problem that I just can't seem to fix.

    When certain web pages are opened with my Internet Explorer 6, it
    causes the CPU to jump up to 100% usage, and my computer comes to
    almost a halt. The culprit, according to Task Manager, is always
    IEXPLORE.EXE, or at least one of the IEXPLORE.EXEs if there are
    multiple instances.

    I've noticed a common thread to virtually all sites that cause the
    CPU to run at 100% -- Javascript. Pages containing Javascript are
    virtually always the problem. Examples:

    1) almost all pop up windows
    2) Yahoo! Mail
    3) Match.com Searches
    4) All Music Guide

    I'm not a computer expert at all, so I've only done what I can think
    of, or what has been suggested to me. I've checked/removed
    spyware/malware with multiple pieces of software (Spybot, etc.) I've
    defragged. I've checked for viruses using both NAV and PC-cillin.
    I've used my System Mechanic program to go through almost all
    fixes/maintanance/optimizers. The only thing i haven't been able to
    do is Windows ChkDisk, because it gets stuck every time I try to use
    it. Nothing has helped and I'm out of ideas.

    Does anyone out there have any thoughts or suggestions?

    Much appreciated - Kevin
    Kevin, Nov 23, 2003

  2. [Fullquote because of X-Post]

    Kevin wrote:

    > I'm really hoping someone out there can help me with an unusual,
    > frustrating XP problem that I just can't seem to fix.
    >
    > When certain web pages are opened with my Internet Explorer 6, it
    > causes the CPU to jump up to 100% usage, and my computer comes to
    > almost a halt. The culprit, according to Task Manager, is always
    > IEXPLORE.EXE, or at least one of the IEXPLORE.EXEs if there are
    > multiple instances.
    >
    > I've noticed a common thread to virtually all sites that cause the
    > CPU to run at 100% -- Javascript. Pages containing Javascript are
    > virtually always the problem. Examples:
    >
    > 1) almost all pop up windows
    > 2) Yahoo! Mail
    > 3) Match.com Searches
    > 4) All Music Guide
    >
    > I'm not a computer expert at all, so I've only done what I can think
    > of, or what has been suggested to me. I've checked/removed
    > spyware/malware with multiple pieces of software (Spybot, etc.) I've
    > defragged. I've checked for viruses using both NAV and PC-cillin.
    > I've used my System Mechanic program to go through almost all
    > fixes/maintanance/optimizers. The only thing i haven't been able to
    > do is Windows ChkDisk, because it gets stuck every time I try to use
    > it.

    Strange. Do you mean by `gets stuck' that it refuses repairing because
    "the drive is in use"? If so, try `chkdsk /f', confirm the check to be
    done on next boot and reboot the system.

    You could also try Norton Disk Doctor for 2k/XP, but it will also
    trigger `chkdsk' planning if it is a partition currently used. And
    it could be then you just *think* `chkdsk' gets stuck and in fact
    does is *not*, only needing more time than you think (check the HDD
    LED of your case if you have one and it is connected.)

    > Nothing has helped and I'm out of ideas.

    If nothing of the above helps, repair/reinstall the kIndergarten
    Exploder and/or XP or, switch to a UA not inherently insecure,
    like Mozilla/5.0. You have no problem that can be solved with
    JavaScript, so this is off-topic here. Newsgroups for IE and
    Windows XP exist, though.

    X-Post & F'up2 microsoft.public.win2000.general, answers will
    automagically appear there if unchanged.

    > Does anyone out there have any thoughts or suggestions?
    >
    > Much appreciated - Kevin

    [x] done

    HTH

    PointedEars