I finally won a pop-up battle

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne Boswell, Mar 28, 2010.

  1. On May 1, 2006, I was trying to get rid of small, unnecessary pop-up
    windows. I posted to this group [http://tinyurl.com/ykd7yhx - goes to
    Google groups post], and got great answers, but, up until a week ago, I
    was still fighting a losing battle. Finally, after all these years, the
    boss said,

    "Hey, I like the way you can click on the product link, and it goes to a
    full page of information!"

    I guess I was smiling too much, and the boss said, "What you are you so
    happy about?"

    I said, "I've been trying to get rid of those stupid pop-ups for 5 years,
    and now, I finally did it!",

    She wrinkled her brow and said "What! The little pop-up windows that I
    liked so much? They're gone? Oh no!",

    And I said, "Too late! I didn't make a backup"

    I lied, I always make backups, but don't tell her. Thanks, I just had to
    share this.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 28, 2010

  2. On 2010-03-28 10:38:44 +0200, Adrienne Boswell <> said:

    > On May 1, 2006, I was trying to get rid of small, unnecessary pop-up
    > windows. I posted to this group [http://tinyurl.com/ykd7yhx - goes to
    > Google groups post], and got great answers, but, up until a week ago, I
    > was still fighting a losing battle. Finally, after all these years, the
    > boss said,
    >
    > "Hey, I like the way you can click on the product link, and it goes to a
    > full page of information!"
    >
    > I guess I was smiling too much, and the boss said, "What you are you so
    > happy about?"
    >
    > I said, "I've been trying to get rid of those stupid pop-ups for 5 years,
    > and now, I finally did it!",
    >
    > She wrinkled her brow and said "What! The little pop-up windows that I
    > liked so much? They're gone? Oh no!",
    >
    > And I said, "Too late! I didn't make a backup"
    >
    > I lied, I always make backups, but don't tell her.

    Let's hope she doesn't follow this group! (However, I suppose that's
    pretty safe.)

    --
    athel
    Athel Cornish-Bowden, Apr 2, 2010

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Athel Cornish-Bowden
    <> writing in news::

    > On 2010-03-28 10:38:44 +0200, Adrienne Boswell <>
    > said:
    >
    >> On May 1, 2006, I was trying to get rid of small, unnecessary pop-up
    >> windows. I posted to this group [http://tinyurl.com/ykd7yhx - goes
    >> to Google groups post], and got great answers, but, up until a week
    >> ago, I was still fighting a losing battle. Finally, after all these
    >> years, the boss said,
    >>
    >> "Hey, I like the way you can click on the product link, and it goes
    >> to a full page of information!"
    >>
    >> I guess I was smiling too much, and the boss said, "What you are you
    >> so happy about?"
    >>
    >> I said, "I've been trying to get rid of those stupid pop-ups for 5
    >> years, and now, I finally did it!",
    >>
    >> She wrinkled her brow and said "What! The little pop-up windows that
    >> I liked so much? They're gone? Oh no!",
    >>
    >> And I said, "Too late! I didn't make a backup"
    >>
    >> I lied, I always make backups, but don't tell her.

    > Let's hope she doesn't follow this group! (However, I suppose that's
    > pretty safe.)

    No, she's under the impression that Usenet is Chat - although I have told
    her many times it isn't. She doesn't like to chat - not even on the
    phone.

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 2, 2010
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Jack <>
    writing in news::

    > On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:38:44 +0000 (UTC), Adrienne Boswell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On May 1, 2006, I was trying to get rid of small, unnecessary pop-up
    >>windows. I posted to this group [http://tinyurl.com/ykd7yhx - goes to
    >>Google groups post], and got great answers, but, up until a week ago,
    >>I was still fighting a losing battle. Finally, after all these years,
    >>the boss said,
    >>
    >>"Hey, I like the way you can click on the product link, and it goes to
    >>a full page of information!"
    >>
    >>I guess I was smiling too much, and the boss said, "What you are you
    >>so happy about?"
    >>
    >>I said, "I've been trying to get rid of those stupid pop-ups for 5
    >>years, and now, I finally did it!",
    >>
    >>She wrinkled her brow and said "What! The little pop-up windows that I
    >>liked so much? They're gone? Oh no!",
    >>
    >>And I said, "Too late! I didn't make a backup"
    >>
    >>I lied, I always make backups, but don't tell her. Thanks, I just had
    >>to share this.

    > I can't help it, I have to jump in here and ask a question. Your
    > Boss, is she the one that pays your salary to make the website you're
    > talking about? OR did I tune in late and miss that part?

    She had her way to five years, actually 8 because I did not start a
    remake until I had already worked for her to three years. For the entire
    8 years I complained about the pop-ups.

    > I can't help but think that if she is paying the bill, it should be
    > the way SHE likes it.

    She wanted pop-unders [http://tinyurl.com/y9699pc - goes to an earlier
    post] in January of 2002, but thanks to this group, she saw the error of
    her ways. I think it might have been the bit about old boy friends that
    Jerry Muelver posted that did the trick.

    > If I missed something, Sorry.

    I think you may be missed the part about it being so long ago, and how
    through perseverance, anything can be obtained.
    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 3, 2010
  5. On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:16:34 -0600, Lewis
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Jack <> wrote:
    >
    >> I can't help it, I have to jump in here and ask a question. Your
    >> Boss, is she the one that pays your salary to make the website you're
    >> talking about? OR did I tune in late and miss that part?
    >>
    >> I can't help but think that if she is paying the bill, it should be
    >> the way SHE likes it.

    >Most assuredly not. Your job is to do the job RIGHT. If that takes
    >misleading the boss who know nothing about design, that's just fine.

    Working in opposition with the boss - is NOT a good idea.
    If you cannot convince the boss that your solution is better, you MUST
    apply the boss solution !!!
    Raymond Schmit, Apr 26, 2010
  6. Adrienne Boswell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    (Raymond Schmit) wrote:

    > Working in opposition with the boss - is NOT a good idea.
    > If you cannot convince the boss that your solution is better, you MUST
    > apply the boss solution !!!

    It depends. If you are an independent contractor, you can simply
    not do something you think is quite bad. Naturally, if you are
    too frightened to lose the work, this makes it hard but generally
    you will be more respected if you make it clear that there are
    lines which you will not cross. It is best to make this clear
    when getting the job in the first place. You do not have to
    specify details just indicate that there will be times that you
    will not do what is wanted in the manner imagined by the person
    giving you the contract.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 26, 2010
  7. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme <>
    writing in news::

    > In article <>,
    > (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >
    >> Working in opposition with the boss - is NOT a good idea.
    >> If you cannot convince the boss that your solution is better, you

    MUST
    >> apply the boss solution !!!

    > It depends. If you are an independent contractor, you can simply
    > not do something you think is quite bad. Naturally, if you are
    > too frightened to lose the work, this makes it hard but generally
    > you will be more respected if you make it clear that there are
    > lines which you will not cross. It is best to make this clear
    > when getting the job in the first place. You do not have to
    > specify details just indicate that there will be times that you
    > will not do what is wanted in the manner imagined by the person
    > giving you the contract.

    Well, this is originally my thread, so I'll jump back in.

    I've been working for this lady for almost ten years. A lot has
    happened in that time:
    1. She stopped using IE because I finally convinced her that it was a
    shitty browser. I got her to use Firefox - she won't go as far as
    Opera, thinks it's too techy.
    2. Her eyes aren't as good as they used to be. She now remarks that the
    font size she insisted on years ago is hard to read.
    3. She got a trackball instead of a mouse, and has learned mouse
    gestures. Pages opening unexpectedly in new tabs is annoying now, as it
    breaks the back gesture/button.

    Of course, some can't/won't change:
    1. She insists on signing as --signature
    2. She insists on all replies to her be top posted, and has a fit if
    someone replies inline to her. Forget about a bottom reply!
    3. She insists on using a little image as part of her signature. I
    should be happy, at least she doesn't use a background image and music!

    I've had it out with her a few times. When I was pregnant, I left for
    two years. Then I came back and stayed for a year, and left for another
    year.

    We have an unusual employer/employee relationship. As on old friend of
    mine used to say, we're making two people miserable instead of four.
    We're very close, I think my son is in love with her (he's six). All in
    all, she's a good boss, and I'm lucky to be working with her.

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 27, 2010
  8. Adrienne Boswell

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 26 Apr 2010, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:16:34 -0600, Lewis
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> Jack <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't help it, I have to jump in here and ask a question. Your
    >>> Boss, is she the one that pays your salary to make the website
    >>> you're talking about? OR did I tune in late and miss that part?
    >>>
    >>> I can't help but think that if she is paying the bill, it should be
    >>> the way SHE likes it.

    >>Most assuredly not. Your job is to do the job RIGHT. If that takes
    >>misleading the boss who know nothing about design, that's just fine.

    > Working in opposition with the boss - is NOT a good idea.

    I agree with Lewie on this one. And you don't actually have to
    *convince* the boss per se. I've found that telling the boss you'll
    kick his ass tends to resolves almost all conflicts of this nature,
    especially if you make a mean face and are playing with a switchblade
    or brass knuckles when uttering it. True, a few women don't get it,
    but that's when you go to Rent-A-Rat.

    > If you cannot convince the boss that your solution is better, you
    > MUST apply the boss solution !!!

    Nah, I don't think so.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Apr 27, 2010
  9. Adrienne Boswell, Apr 27, 2010
  10. On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 00:22:21 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias
    <> wrote:

    >On 26 Apr 2010, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:16:34 -0600, Lewis
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Most assuredly not. Your job is to do the job RIGHT. If that takes
    >>>misleading the boss who know nothing about design, that's just fine.

    >> Working in opposition with the boss - is NOT a good idea.

    >I agree with Lewie on this one. And you don't actually have to
    >*convince* the boss per se. I've found that telling the boss you'll
    >kick his ass tends to resolves almost all conflicts of this nature,
    >especially if you make a mean face and are playing with a switchblade
    >or brass knuckles when uttering it. True, a few women don't get it,
    >but that's when you go to Rent-A-Rat.
    >
    >> If you cannot convince the boss that your solution is better, you
    >> MUST apply the boss solution !!!

    >Nah, I don't think so.

    With a similar situation, my boss had inserted a sheet of paper in the
    company personal-folders of my name saying: If he don't follow my
    idea, i will fire him !!!

    So when you said "Nah, I don't think so." you just have a risk to get
    fired for a stupid conflict.
    Raymond Schmit, Apr 27, 2010
  11. Adrienne Boswell

    Neredbojias Guest

    Neredbojias, Apr 28, 2010
  12. Adrienne Boswell

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 27 Apr 2010, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 00:22:21 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 26 Apr 2010, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:

    >>> Working in opposition with the boss - is NOT a good idea.

    >>I agree with Lewie on this one. And you don't actually have to
    >>*convince* the boss per se. I've found that telling the boss you'll
    >>kick his ass tends to resolves almost all conflicts of this nature,
    >>especially if you make a mean face and are playing with a switchblade
    >>or brass knuckles when uttering it. True, a few women don't get it,
    >>but that's when you go to Rent-A-Rat.
    >>
    >>> If you cannot convince the boss that your solution is better, you
    >>> MUST apply the boss solution !!!

    >>Nah, I don't think so.

    > With a similar situation, my boss had inserted a sheet of paper in
    > the company personal-folders of my name saying: If he don't follow my
    > idea, i will fire him !!!
    >
    > So when you said "Nah, I don't think so." you just have a risk to get
    > fired for a stupid conflict.

    This is true: The last place I worked any length of time prior to my
    current situation, I butted heads with ALL my associative bosses. And
    guess what? They (-the really big hama-hama clique) fired them and
    kept me!! 'Course when the new dept-head type took over for one of
    them fired bosses and I didn't go to his parties or take his advice,
    etc., he finally ousted me, too. What made it a shame was I couldn't
    kick his ass because he had been (recently) a professional major-league
    athlete and he would've killed me. Despite that minor setback, I
    enjoyed the satisfaction of knowing the hama-bosses at least realized
    who was right in a nitty-gritty way and their only mistake was in
    appointing this asshole to head my section. (They hadda do something
    with him, I guess...)

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/