I give up! What have I missed? (H. Scroll bar in IE)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Joe, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Joe, Apr 13, 2006

  2. Joe

    BootNic Guest

    > "Joe" <> wrote:

    [snip]
    > Can someone please help me get rid of the horizontal scroll bar
    > that is visible in IE?

    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    Class recipe text-align: justify;

    Remove that text-align and it resolves the problem.

    If you wish to use the text-align: justify; fix the text in the divs. Put the text
    in a paragraph instead of using <br>.

    Then you can use:

    ..recipe {
    background: #fefefc;
    color: #000;
    font-family: sans-serif;
    margin:1em 2em 1em 2em;
    padding: 1em;
    border: 1px groove #aa3;
    }
    ..recipe p{
    text-align: justify;

    BootNic Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:43 PM

    A conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking.
    *Arthur Bloch*

    BootNic, Apr 13, 2006

  3. Adrienne Boswell, Apr 13, 2006
  4. Joe

    Jim Moe Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > Here's a page from a mate's vanity site at
    > http://members.aardvark.net.au/grakat/recipe05/cots/recipe.htm
    > [...]
    > Can someone please help me get rid of the horizontal scroll bar that is
    > visible in IE?

    In the recipe for Apricot Sauce there is a footer for a HINT. That is
    where the problem is. Something about the italics causes IE to
    miscalculate the width. Changing the font-size makes no difference.
    Wrap the HINT in a <p> (it should be that way anyhow) and set the width
    to 99%: <p style="width: 99%">. Or better, create a style that expresses
    the whole HINT idea.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, Apr 13, 2006
  5. Joe

    Paul Watt Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > Here's a page from a mate's vanity site at
    > http://members.aardvark.net.au/grakat/recipe05/cots/recipe.htm
    > The CSS file is at
    > http://members.aardvark.net.au/grakat/recipe05/top.css
    > I know I should be able to fix this, but my old-timers disease has
    > kicked in.
    > Can someone please help me get rid of the horizontal scroll bar that is
    > visible in IE?

    You're not closing your <li> tags. I dont know if thats going to effect your
    horizontal problem, but IE's a funny beast.

    Paul Watt, Apr 13, 2006
  6. Joe

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Jim Moe <> wrote:

    > Joe wrote:
    > > Here's a page from a mate's vanity site at
    > > http://members.aardvark.net.au/grakat/recipe05/cots/recipe.htm
    > > [...]
    > > Can someone please help me get rid of the horizontal scroll bar that is
    > > visible in IE?

    > In the recipe for Apricot Sauce there is a footer for a HINT. That is
    > where the problem is. Something about the italics causes IE to
    > miscalculate the width. ...

    Italics are known to cause IE some calculation problems; see, for
    example http://nemesis1.f2o.org/aarchive?id=11 where the use of
    italics is listed as one of the causes of "float drop" in IE.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 13, 2006
  7. Joe

    Joe Guest

    In article <3Wi%f.24188$>,
    says...
    > > "Joe" <> wrote:
    > >

    > [snip]
    > > Can someone please help me get rid of the horizontal scroll bar
    > > that is visible in IE?

    > http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    >
    > Class recipe text-align: justify;
    >
    > Remove that text-align and it resolves the problem.
    >
    > If you wish to use the text-align: justify; fix the text in the divs. Put the text
    > in a paragraph instead of using <br>.

    You're a legend. Thanks for that.

    Joe, Apr 14, 2006
  8. Joe

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Apr 14, 2006
  9. Joe

    Joe Guest

    In article <>, jmm-
    says...
    > Joe wrote:
    > > Here's a page from a mate's vanity site at
    > > http://members.aardvark.net.au/grakat/recipe05/cots/recipe.htm
    > > [...]
    > > Can someone please help me get rid of the horizontal scroll bar that is
    > > visible in IE?

    > In the recipe for Apricot Sauce there is a footer for a HINT. That is
    > where the problem is. Something about the italics causes IE to
    > miscalculate the width. Changing the font-size makes no difference.
    > Wrap the HINT in a <p> (it should be that way anyhow) and set the width
    > to 99%: <p style="width: 99%">. Or better, create a style that expresses
    > the whole HINT idea.

    Thank you!! I have now coded the page properly - and surprise - it
    works. I should have done it that way in the beginning.

    Joe, Apr 15, 2006
  10. Joe

    Joe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > > Here's a page from a mate's vanity site at
    > > http://members.aardvark.net.au/grakat/recipe05/cots/recipe.htm

    ..
    > > Can someone please help me get rid of the horizontal scroll bar that is
    > > visible in IE?

    > You're not closing your <li> tags. I dont know if thats going to effect your
    > horizontal problem, but IE's a funny beast.

    Thanks Paul.

    Joe, Apr 15, 2006
  11. Joe

    Joe Guest

    In article <Xns97A3EFFDADEA1arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
    says...
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Joe <>
    > writing in news::
    >
    > > http://members.aardvark.net.au/grakat/recipe05/cots/recipe.htm

    > OT - great sounding recipies - are they as good as they look?

    Absolutely! All tried and true. Of course, the apricot recipes are best
    made with Australian apricots - best of all from my own orchard!

    Have you looked at
    the "Farm favourites"? - although I don't know if you get 'roo meat
    where you are.

    Joe, Apr 15, 2006
  12. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Joe <>
    writing in news::

    >> > http://members.aardvark.net.au/grakat/recipe05/cots/recipe.htm

    >> OT - great sounding recipies - are they as good as they look?
    >>

    > Absolutely! All tried and true. Of course, the apricot recipes are best
    > made with Australian apricots - best of all from my own orchard!
    >
    > Have you looked at
    > the "Farm favourites"? - although I don't know if you get 'roo meat
    > where you are.

    Sadly, we don't, or at least, I don't think we do. I live in Los Angeles
    in the United States where 'roo meat is still considered Roo, as in Kanga's
    son in Pooh's Heffalump Movie. But, I've heard its quite tasty.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne Boswell, Apr 19, 2006
  13. Joe

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Adrienne Boswell
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Sadly, we don't, or at least, I don't think we do. I live in Los Angeles
    > in the United States

    A quick Google search doesn't seem to indicate that it is available.

    > where 'roo meat is still considered Roo, as in Kanga's
    > son in Pooh's Heffalump Movie. But, I've heard its quite tasty.

    Kangaroo is delicious. It's got a really rich flavour. There's little
    better than a barbecued kangaroo steak. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:

    Mark Parnell, Apr 19, 2006
  14. Joe

    Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > I live in Los Angeles
    > in the United States where 'roo meat is still considered Roo, as in Kanga's
    > son in Pooh's Heffalump Movie.

    I have a notion that roo meat is actually illegal in California.

    Not that it's on every Australian restaurant's menu...!

    --
    AGw.

    , Apr 19, 2006
  15. Joe

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > > I live in Los Angeles
    > > in the United States where 'roo meat is still considered Roo, as in Kanga's
    > > son in Pooh's Heffalump Movie.

    > I have a notion that roo meat is actually illegal in California.
    >
    > Not that it's on every Australian restaurant's menu...!

    Almost no one eats it in Australia. Few even have tried it.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 20, 2006
  16. Joe

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    <> declared in alt.html:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Not that it's on every Australian restaurant's menu...!

    > Almost no one eats it in Australia. Few even have tried it.

    It's certainly rare on restaurant menus. But it's not too hard to find
    at butchers or supermarkets. How many people actually eat it I don't
    know.

    Mark Parnell, Apr 20, 2006
  17. Joe

    Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Not that it's on every Australian restaurant's menu...!

    > > Almost no one eats it in Australia. Few even have tried it.

    > It's certainly rare on restaurant menus. But it's not too hard to find
    > at butchers or supermarkets. How many people actually eat it I don't
    > know.

    Depends quite a bit on which state, I think. Relatively common in SA?

    --
    AGw.

    , Apr 20, 2006
  18. Joe

    Joe Guest

    In article <doraymeRidThis-97AF4D.09481920042006@news-
    vip.optusnet.com.au>, says...
    > In article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > > > I live in Los Angeles
    > > > in the United States where 'roo meat is still considered Roo, as in Kanga's
    > > > son in Pooh's Heffalump Movie.

    > > I have a notion that roo meat is actually illegal in California.
    > >
    > > Not that it's on every Australian restaurant's menu...!

    > Almost no one eats it in Australia. Few even have tried it.

    Certainly not true in my part of Australia. (Rural South Oz). If you
    haven't tried it and you can get some, do yourself a favour ...

    Joe, Apr 20, 2006
  19. Joe

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Joe
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Certainly not true in my part of Australia. (Rural South Oz).

    It's about time we had another Aussie from out in the sticks. ;-) Since
    brucie left, we've been lacking in that department.

    BTW: Is it just me, or is your X-Face broken?

    Mark Parnell, Apr 20, 2006
  20. Joe

    Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > Certainly not true in my part of Australia. (Rural South Oz). If you
    > haven't tried it and you can get some, do yourself a favour ...

    It's sadly been a few years since I've been in that part of the world,
    but I seem to recall it being pretty common in supermarkets in SA, both
    urban and rural.

    --
    AGw.

    , Apr 20, 2006