I got it! How to force a single number to be a tuple

Jinming Xu

Sorry for the previous message. It's really a simple question and I have
solved it myself.

Thanks,

Jinming

Hi Folks,

I have a number sequence, which is put into a tuple like this:

y=2, 3.0, 4.5

I can manipulate the sequence as a tuple when it has more than 1 number. But
when the sequence has only 1 number, like

y=2

I have trouble to manipulate it as a tuple. I guess there must be a way to
forece a single number to be a tuple. Could anyone please tell me that?

Thanks,

Jinming

Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living. http://lexus.msn.com/

wes weston

Jinming said:
Sorry for the previous message. It's really a simple question and I have
solved it myself.

Thanks,

Jinming

Hi Folks,

I have a number sequence, which is put into a tuple like this:

y=2, 3.0, 4.5

I can manipulate the sequence as a tuple when it has more than 1 number.
But when the sequence has only 1 number, like

y=2

I have trouble to manipulate it as a tuple. I guess there must be a way
to forece a single number to be a tuple. Could anyone please tell me that?

Thanks,

Jinming

Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living. http://lexus.msn.com/
Jinming,
wes

Colin J. Williams

Jinming said:
Sorry for the previous message. It's really a simple question and I have
solved it myself.

Thanks,

Jinming

Hi Folks,

I have a number sequence, which is put into a tuple like this:

y=2, 3.0, 4.5

I can manipulate the sequence as a tuple when it has more than 1 number.
But when the sequence has only 1 number, like

y=2

I have trouble to manipulate it as a tuple. I guess there must be a way
to forece a single number to be a tuple. Could anyone please tell me that?

Thanks,

Jinming

Discover the best of the best at MSN Luxury Living. http://lexus.msn.com/
Maybe something like:
[Dbg]>>> y= 6
[Dbg]>>> if not isinstance(x, (tp.ListType, tp.TupleType)):
[Dbg]... y= (y, )
[Dbg]...
[Dbg]>>> print y
(6,)
[Dbg]>>>
Colin W.

Jeff Sandys

y=2,
The comma makes tuples.
y=2, 3.0, 4.5,
also works.

Are you sure that you want a list of numbers as an immutable tuple?
Tuples are intended for hetrogenious sequences like a data record,
(like y=2, 3.0, 4.5 is a record of say quantity, price and weight,
and y=3.0, 2, 4.5 is a completely different thing).
Tuples can be used as an index in a dictionary.

A list is mutable, intended for a homogenious sequence, the elements
can be changed and a list can not be used a dictionary index.
(like y=[2, 3.0, 4.5] is a list of the weights of three items and
y=[3.0, 2, 4.5] has the same meaning)

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys