I got the Herbert Schilt, (Java 2) Package blues. Please help before I shoot the dog

Rendzina

Hi all.
I'm a recent convert to the world of Java and I've hit a problem that
maybe a few of you learned people could help me with. Please.

I'm reading Herbert Schildt (Java 2, complete reference, 5th edition.)
and I'm stuck on Chapter 9, Packages and Interfaces. I did the first
demo ok but then could not compile anything past his first program,

Package p1- Protection.java, Derived. java, SamePackage.java.
Package p2-Protection.java,OtherPackage.java.
To test "Demo.java" will not compile.

Is there some simple explanation/rule for getting packages
working.......classpath? It's very confusing in Schildt and there
doesn't seem to be any examples around.
I'd be grateful for any ideas or help.
Thanks.

PS. I was joking about shooting the dog.

Joona I Palaste

Rendzina said:
Hi all.
I'm a recent convert to the world of Java and I've hit a problem that
maybe a few of you learned people could help me with. Please.
I'm reading Herbert Schildt (Java 2, complete reference, 5th edition.)
and I'm stuck on Chapter 9, Packages and Interfaces. I did the first
demo ok but then could not compile anything past his first program,
Package p1- Protection.java, Derived. java, SamePackage.java.
Package p2-Protection.java,OtherPackage.java.
To test "Demo.java" will not compile.
Is there some simple explanation/rule for getting packages
working.......classpath? It's very confusing in Schildt and there
doesn't seem to be any examples around.
I'd be grateful for any ideas or help.
Thanks.
PS. I was joking about shooting the dog.

If Herbert Schildt's Java books are anything like his C books, I
suggest getting another books instead.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ------------- Finland --------\
"Parthenogenetic procreation in humans will result in the founding of a new

Gary Labowitz

Rendzina said:
Hi all.
I'm a recent convert to the world of Java and I've hit a problem that
maybe a few of you learned people could help me with. Please.

I'm reading Herbert Schildt (Java 2, complete reference, 5th edition.)
and I'm stuck on Chapter 9, Packages and Interfaces. I did the first
demo ok but then could not compile anything past his first program,

Package p1- Protection.java, Derived. java, SamePackage.java.
Package p2-Protection.java,OtherPackage.java.
To test "Demo.java" will not compile.

Is there some simple explanation/rule for getting packages
working.......classpath? It's very confusing in Schildt and there
doesn't seem to be any examples around.
I'd be grateful for any ideas or help.

Just shoot the Schildt book! This book is an easy read (and I use it in my
classes) but it's (non)explanation of classpath and packages is inadequate.
Try http://jinx.swiki.net/12 (and browse the rest of the wiki) for
information on classpath and packages.
I don't know if the wiki is still being updated (and where is Jon Skeet,
anyway?), but it is still available.

Andrew Thompson

I don't know if the wiki is still being updated (and where is Jon Skeet,
anyway?), ..

Jon is alive and well
<http://google.com/groups?as_uauthors=jon+skeet>

And posting actively, to groups other than those
that most of us are used to reading him on..
<http://google.com/groups?as_uauthors=jon+skeet&group=microsoft.public.dotnet.*>

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson