I got the Herbert Schilt, (Java 2) Package blues. Please help before I shoot the dog

Discussion in 'Java' started by Rendzina, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Rendzina

    Rendzina Guest

    Hi all.
    I'm a recent convert to the world of Java and I've hit a problem that
    maybe a few of you learned people could help me with. Please.

    I'm reading Herbert Schildt (Java 2, complete reference, 5th edition.)
    and I'm stuck on Chapter 9, Packages and Interfaces. I did the first
    demo ok but then could not compile anything past his first program,

    Package p1- Protection.java, Derived. java, SamePackage.java.
    Package p2-Protection.java,OtherPackage.java.
    To test "Demo.java" will not compile.

    Is there some simple explanation/rule for getting packages
    working.......classpath? It's very confusing in Schildt and there
    doesn't seem to be any examples around.
    I'd be grateful for any ideas or help.
    Thanks.

    PS. I was joking about shooting the dog.
    Rendzina, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Rendzina <> scribbled the following:
    > Hi all.
    > I'm a recent convert to the world of Java and I've hit a problem that
    > maybe a few of you learned people could help me with. Please.

    > I'm reading Herbert Schildt (Java 2, complete reference, 5th edition.)
    > and I'm stuck on Chapter 9, Packages and Interfaces. I did the first
    > demo ok but then could not compile anything past his first program,

    > Package p1- Protection.java, Derived. java, SamePackage.java.
    > Package p2-Protection.java,OtherPackage.java.
    > To test "Demo.java" will not compile.

    > Is there some simple explanation/rule for getting packages
    > working.......classpath? It's very confusing in Schildt and there
    > doesn't seem to be any examples around.
    > I'd be grateful for any ideas or help.
    > Thanks.

    > PS. I was joking about shooting the dog.

    If Herbert Schildt's Java books are anything like his C books, I
    suggest getting another books instead.

    "Parthenogenetic procreation in humans will result in the founding of a new
    religion."
    - John Nordberg
    Joona I Palaste, Sep 24, 2004

  3. "Rendzina" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    > I'm a recent convert to the world of Java and I've hit a problem that
    > maybe a few of you learned people could help me with. Please.
    >
    > I'm reading Herbert Schildt (Java 2, complete reference, 5th edition.)
    > and I'm stuck on Chapter 9, Packages and Interfaces. I did the first
    > demo ok but then could not compile anything past his first program,
    >
    > Package p1- Protection.java, Derived. java, SamePackage.java.
    > Package p2-Protection.java,OtherPackage.java.
    > To test "Demo.java" will not compile.
    >
    > Is there some simple explanation/rule for getting packages
    > working.......classpath? It's very confusing in Schildt and there
    > doesn't seem to be any examples around.
    > I'd be grateful for any ideas or help.

    Just shoot the Schildt book! This book is an easy read (and I use it in my
    classes) but it's (non)explanation of classpath and packages is inadequate.
    Try http://jinx.swiki.net/12 (and browse the rest of the wiki) for
    information on classpath and packages.
    I don't know if the wiki is still being updated (and where is Jon Skeet,
    anyway?), but it is still available.
    --
    Gary
    Gary Labowitz, Sep 25, 2004
  4. On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:31:21 -0400, Gary Labowitz wrote:

    > I don't know if the wiki is still being updated (and where is Jon Skeet,
    > anyway?), ..

    Jon is alive and well
    <http://google.com/groups?as_uauthors=jon+skeet>

    And posting actively, to groups other than those
    that most of us are used to reading him on..
    <http://google.com/groups?as_uauthors=jon+skeet&group=microsoft.public.dotnet.*>

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 25, 2004
  5. "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:31:21 -0400, Gary Labowitz wrote:
    >
    > > I don't know if the wiki is still being updated (and where is Jon Skeet,
    > > anyway?), ..

    > Jon is alive and well
    > <http://google.com/groups?as_uauthors=jon+skeet>
    >
    > And posting actively, to groups other than those
    > that most of us are used to reading him on..

    <http://google.com/groups?as_uauthors=jon skeet&group=microsoft.public.dotne
    t.*>

    Oooooooo.... he went over to the dot net side.
    "I have you now...." [Bill Gates]
    --
    Gary
    Gary Labowitz, Sep 25, 2004