I hate msi's

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by chanmmn, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. chanmmn

    chanmmn Guest

    Since when someone tell you msi can set default web page. If everything can
    be one click what are the engineers for?

    chanmm

    Jason Shohet, Sep 10, 2004

  3. chanmmn

    Jason Shohet Guest

    haha, ok thats shedding a good light on it :) !
    I can forgive for having to reset the default page everytime (i should have
    just named it default.aspx and avoid the whole problem...)
    BUT, what about the other complaint?

    Look what happened to me today.
    We have test & production both on the same machine -- what can i say, we're
    low on servers.
    Anyhow, I ran the msi to put something into test. I use the same msi for
    test & production, and during the install I just point it to test/ or
    prod/.

    Windows gives me the error "you must go to add - remove programs..." and
    uninstall the existing msi. (This is retarted to begin with. I just want
    to run a setup routine, why is it in add-remove programs to begin with?!)
    So I uninstalled the .msi. Then I get a phone call by angry users that
    production is down!
    Turns out when you uninstall the msi setup routine, it pulls down whatever
    the last thing it installed as well!

    I wish the web setup project just have me a way to run a setup.exe, without
    putting the install routine in add-remove programs etc, and just let me
    install where I want without these headaches :)

    Jason Shohet

    Jason Shohet, Sep 10, 2004
  4. chanmmn

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi Jason:

    Yes, the msi's are a PITA I can tell you firsthand.

    1) You might investigate adding some script as a custom action to set
    the default page. I don't have a sample to point to but I'm sure it is
    possible.

    2) If you install from the command line, you can override this default
    behavior. Something along the lines of:

    Msiexec /i setup.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

    For details on the params, see here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/command_line_options.asp

    Note you can also modify public properties of the package from the
    command line (like REINSTALL, REINTSALLMODE).

    HTH,

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com

    Scott Allen, Sep 10, 2004
  5. chanmmn

    Jason Shohet Guest

    Thanks scott,

    yea, PITA. I wish there was an option just to creat a regular setup.exe. I
    see one in there, along with the msi, but it also seems to stick its ugly
    self into the add-remove programs, so I have to continually uninstall etc.

    I'll try the command line stuff you suggested :)
    Have a good weekend
    jason shohet

    Jason Shohet, Sep 10, 2004