I hate msi's

chanmmn

Since when someone tell you msi can set default web page. If everything can
be one click what are the engineers for?

chanmm

Jason Shohet

For the below 2 reasons:

1. Everytime it tells me i have to go to add remove programs, if i had
already run the msi previously. This is even though in .NET, I set "remove
previous version" to true.

2. The msi does not allow me to set the default page for the website.

Can anyone help me here :) ?
Should i be running setup.exe instead of the msi....

Jason Shohet

Jason Shohet

haha, ok thats shedding a good light on it :) !
I can forgive for having to reset the default page everytime (i should have
just named it default.aspx and avoid the whole problem...)
BUT, what about the other complaint?

Look what happened to me today.
We have test & production both on the same machine -- what can i say, we're
low on servers.
Anyhow, I ran the msi to put something into test. I use the same msi for
test & production, and during the install I just point it to test/ or
prod/.

Windows gives me the error "you must go to add - remove programs..." and
uninstall the existing msi. (This is retarted to begin with. I just want
to run a setup routine, why is it in add-remove programs to begin with?!)
So I uninstalled the .msi. Then I get a phone call by angry users that
production is down!
Turns out when you uninstall the msi setup routine, it pulls down whatever
the last thing it installed as well!

I wish the web setup project just have me a way to run a setup.exe, without
putting the install routine in add-remove programs etc, and just let me
install where I want without these headaches :)

Jason Shohet

Scott Allen

Hi Jason:

Yes, the msi's are a PITA I can tell you firsthand.

1) You might investigate adding some script as a custom action to set
the default page. I don't have a sample to point to but I'm sure it is
possible.

2) If you install from the command line, you can override this default
behavior. Something along the lines of:

Msiexec /i setup.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

For details on the params, see here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/command_line_options.asp

Note you can also modify public properties of the package from the
command line (like REINSTALL, REINTSALLMODE).

HTH,

Jason Shohet

Thanks scott,

yea, PITA. I wish there was an option just to creat a regular setup.exe. I
see one in there, along with the msi, but it also seems to stick its ugly
self into the add-remove programs, so I have to continually uninstall etc.

I'll try the command line stuff you suggested :)
Have a good weekend
jason shohet