I have a chance to do somting diffrent way not Python ?!

Discussion in 'Python' started by anders, Apr 28, 2007.

  1. anders

    anders Guest

    Hi!
    On my work we have a lot off diffrent server to make software for
    diffrent os
    from Windows, OS/X to Linux Solaris

    Everyting is scripted with shell, but Windows has batchfiles witch is
    very
    limited, compared to cshell etc.

    So my boss has told me that it okej if i want to make somting better
    och smooter,
    for the windows machine.

    First i looked a Ruby but didn't like it to interacting with the os,
    nothinh wrong
    but my eyes moved to Python becurse syntax is clean and every server
    (not windows) has Python as base installed, and in the future i could
    then move
    the script to run on all servers.

    So basicly i like advice about interac with os, compiler etc.
    Nice webblinks to read more
    and do/don't things.

    best regards
    Anders
    anders, Apr 28, 2007

  2. anders

    oscartheduck Guest

    Hi anders,

    try looking here first:

    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-os.html
    Also:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

    oscartheduck, Apr 29, 2007

  3. anders

    Bart Willems Guest

    anders wrote:
    > So basicly i like advice about interac with os, compiler etc.
    > Nice webblinks to read more
    > and do/don't things.

    Hello Anders,

    OS Support for Windows in Python is excellent. I suggest you download
    the latest version, and don't forget to download Mark Hammond's win32
    library as well. Although it is mainly about COM support and you
    probably don't need it, it is always good to have.

    After that, work your way through the tutorial. It should give you
    enough information to create the scripts that you need. I used the
    Manning book to learn Python, but I hear a lot of good stories over here
    from 'Python for dummies' as well.

    The modules (included in the installation package) that you will need in
    your scripts are probably os, sys, and maybe some of the date modules.

    I can't think of any "don'ts" - except maybe for the warning that you
    should not try to write java or c++ code in Python. So, if there is
    anything that seems to me missing, consider a different approach in your
    code (a good example is the switch statement...)

    Best regards,
    Bart
    Bart Willems, Apr 29, 2007
  4. anders

    Tim Roberts Guest

    anders <> wrote:

    >On my work we have a lot off diffrent server to make software for
    >diffrent os from Windows, OS/X to Linux Solaris
    >
    >Everyting is scripted with shell, but Windows has batchfiles witch is
    >very limited, compared to cshell etc.

    There are several very good Unix-derived shells available for Windows.
    UnxUtils includes a bash and a zsh.
    --
    Tim Roberts,
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.