    possible as some search engines only allow x amount of words, characters.

    Many thanks in advance,
    Kate

    Kate, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Kate

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Kate" <> wrote:

    >I was wondering if I could have some advice, thoughts on the following
    >questions:
    >
    >1. Do you need to use &amp; in meta tags or are you just able to write "&"?
    >At present I use the &amp;

    Same rules as anywhere else in HTML. If the character after the &
    could be start of an entity then use &amp;, if the character can't be
    the start of an entity then you can leave it as & but it's recommended
    that you always use &amp;

    >2. And secondly how many characters or words should your description and
    >keywords be. I've read so much conflicting POV's on this topic. I have
    >read in a few place the more key words the better, but then it's not always
    >possible as some search engines only allow x amount of words, characters.

    For keywords the number is however many your internal site search tool
    needs. Search engines generally ignore keywords these days so there's
    little point in including them unless you use them internally.

    For description Google seems to display about 160 characters so that
    seems like a reasonable starting point.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Kate

    Kate Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "Kate" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I was wondering if I could have some advice, thoughts on the following
    > >questions:
    > >
    > >1. Do you need to use &amp; in meta tags or are you just able to write

    "&"?
    > >At present I use the &amp;

    > Same rules as anywhere else in HTML. If the character after the &
    > could be start of an entity then use &amp;, if the character can't be
    > the start of an entity then you can leave it as & but it's recommended
    > that you always use &amp;
    >
    > >2. And secondly how many characters or words should your description and
    > >keywords be. I've read so much conflicting POV's on this topic. I have
    > >read in a few place the more key words the better, but then it's not

    always
    > >possible as some search engines only allow x amount of words, characters.

    > For keywords the number is however many your internal site search tool
    > needs. Search engines generally ignore keywords these days so there's
    > little point in including them unless you use them internally.
    >
    > For description Google seems to display about 160 characters so that
    > seems like a reasonable starting point.
    >
    > Steve

    Many thanks Steve for the reply, I must say I didn't realise that some
    search engines ignore keywords. Is this because they use what is on the
    page itself by scanning it's content?

    Many thanks,
    Kate

    Kate, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Kate wrote:
    > "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Kate" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I was wondering if I could have some advice, thoughts on the following
    >>>questions:
    >>>
    >>>1. Do you need to use &amp; in meta tags or are you just able to write

    > "&"?
    >
    >>>At present I use the &amp;

    >>Same rules as anywhere else in HTML. If the character after the &
    >>could be start of an entity then use &amp;, if the character can't be
    >>the start of an entity then you can leave it as & but it's recommended
    >>that you always use &amp;
    >>

    >>>2. And secondly how many characters or words should your description and
    >>>keywords be. I've read so much conflicting POV's on this topic. I have
    >>>read in a few place the more key words the better, but then it's not

    > always
    >
    >>>possible as some search engines only allow x amount of words, characters.

    >>For keywords the number is however many your internal site search tool
    >>needs. Search engines generally ignore keywords these days so there's
    >>little point in including them unless you use them internally.
    >>
    >>For description Google seems to display about 160 characters so that
    >>seems like a reasonable starting point.
    >>
    >>Steve

    > Many thanks Steve for the reply, I must say I didn't realise that some
    > search engines ignore keywords. Is this because they use what is on the
    > page itself by scanning it's content?

    It's because you can easily fake meta tags, and the content of the meta
    tags doesn't need to be associated with the content of your page. AFAIK
    google doesn't only look at your content in order to place you in their
    rankings, but more on how many times your site is being linked from
    other sites.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 21, 2005
  5. Kate

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:29:48 -0000, "Kate" <> wrote:

    >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    >> "Kate" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I was wondering if I could have some advice, thoughts on the following
    >> >questions:
    >> >
    >> >1. Do you need to use &amp; in meta tags or are you just able to write

    >"&"?
    >> >At present I use the &amp;

    >> Same rules as anywhere else in HTML. If the character after the &
    >> could be start of an entity then use &amp;, if the character can't be
    >> the start of an entity then you can leave it as & but it's recommended
    >> that you always use &amp;
    >>
    >> >2. And secondly how many characters or words should your description and
    >> >keywords be. I've read so much conflicting POV's on this topic. I have
    >> >read in a few place the more key words the better, but then it's not

    >always
    >> >possible as some search engines only allow x amount of words, characters.

    >> For keywords the number is however many your internal site search tool
    >> needs. Search engines generally ignore keywords these days so there's
    >> little point in including them unless you use them internally.
    >>
    >> For description Google seems to display about 160 characters so that
    >> seems like a reasonable starting point.
    >>
    >> Steve

    >Many thanks Steve for the reply, I must say I didn't realise that some
    >search engines ignore keywords. Is this because they use what is on the
    >page itself by scanning it's content?
    >
    >Many thanks,
    >Kate

    Most engines ignore keywords. Yahoo will notice them on occasion
    though so it's best to leave them in and keep them pertinent to the
    page. Every little helps in SEO!

    BB

    --
    www.kruse.co.uk