    really need it to be free or warez....

    thanks so much!!
    eve
    eve, Sep 19, 2003

  2. "eve" <> wrote in message
    news:iEGab.521011$o%2.227809@sccrnsc02...

    > looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
    > Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as

    ALOT
    > of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
    > almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.
    >
    > Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone

    now...
    > don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus

    program
    > to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so

    > really need it to be free or warez....
    >
    > thanks so much!!
    > eve

    me too
    ={ Advocated }=, Sep 19, 2003

  3. eve

    PeterMcC Guest

    eve wrote:
    > looks like I have 'Swen'.

    No you haven't - or at least what you have described doesn't suggest you
    have.

    Other people have it and it's replicating through email address books and
    the like. Your email address is out there in address books and that's where
    it's been picked up. Some of the emails you get will probably be "bounced"
    returns of messages that you are supposed to have sent - don't worry, you
    didn't send them. The virus picks out random addresses to put in the "From"
    field and when the messages are bounced, they go back to the person whose
    address was inserted and you'll get bounces back from the ones that happened
    to use yours.

    Ignore the emails, the information in them is a deliberate deception, the
    "patch" is the virus - I'm assuming that you have an up to date virus
    checker and it's neutralising the virus.

    Spare a thought for those of us who are seeing 1,000+ of these things per
    day :(

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Sep 19, 2003
  4. eve

    PeterMcC Guest

    ={ Advocated }= wrote:
    > "eve" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails
    >> about a Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so)
    >> as well as ALOT of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable
    >> e-mail.... xxxx varies, almost always a weird e-mail, and I never
    >> tried to e-mail this person.

    > me too

    The correct markup for that expression is <aol>Me too</aol>

    ;-)

    PeterMcC, Sep 19, 2003
  5. In article <iEGab.521011$o%2.227809@sccrnsc02>, says...

    > looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
    > Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as ALOT
    > of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
    > almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.
    >
    > Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone now...
    > don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus program
    > to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so I
    > really need it to be free or warez....

    You probably can't fix it with HTML, and the fact that you ask for a
    warez solution indicates that you're not taking the issue seriously.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 19, 2003
  6. eve

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "eve" <> writing
    in news:iEGab.521011$o%2.227809@sccrnsc02:

    Try http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Sep 19, 2003
  7. eve

    PeterMcC Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > In article <iEGab.521011$o%2.227809@sccrnsc02>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails
    >> about a Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so)
    >> as well as ALOT of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable
    >> e-mail.... xxxx varies, almost always a weird e-mail, and I never
    >> tried to e-mail this person.
    >>
    >> Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone
    >> now... don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a
    >> virus program to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks?
    >> I have NO money, so I really need it to be free or warez....
    >>

    > You probably can't fix it with HTML, and the fact that you ask for a
    > warez solution indicates that you're not taking the issue seriously.

    I didn't really register that when I looked at the OP - thanks Hywel.

    It's also worth mentioning that if you run warez, you're asking for
    malicious code - why go to the trouble of stopping email virus attacks and
    then voluntarily go and put software on your computer that has been cracked
    by some of the same people who write viruses in the first place. If you
    could crack software, wouldn't you be tempted to put your own little
    something in there?

    PeterMcC, Sep 19, 2003
  8. eve

    kayodeok Guest

    "eve" <> wrote in

    > Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is
    > gone now... don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where
    > to get a virus program to stop this, as well as protect from
    > future attacks?

    Free Antivirus Software for Home Users:

    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/
    Windows Resources
    kayodeok, Sep 19, 2003
  9. eve

    David Graham Guest

    "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message
    > eve wrote:
    > > looks like I have 'Swen'.

    > No you haven't - or at least what you have described doesn't suggest you
    > have.
    >
    > Other people have it and it's replicating through email address books and
    > the like. Your email address is out there in address books and that's

    where
    > it's been picked up. Some of the emails you get will probably be "bounced"
    > returns of messages that you are supposed to have sent - don't worry, you
    > didn't send them. The virus picks out random addresses to put in the

    "From"
    > field and when the messages are bounced, they go back to the person whose
    > address was inserted and you'll get bounces back from the ones that

    happened
    > to use yours.
    >
    > Ignore the emails, the information in them is a deliberate deception, the
    > "patch" is the virus - I'm assuming that you have an up to date virus
    > checker and it's neutralising the virus.
    >
    > Spare a thought for those of us who are seeing 1,000+ of these things per
    > day :(

    Hi
    I am getting 90+ a day. I also get a message that is legitimate stating that
    my mail box is over the high threshold (75% full). If my mail box becomes
    full will I start to lose mail and will my ISP take any sort of action
    against me for having an overflowing box full of rubbish. I think the ISP
    host should and could be able to stop this malicious set of emails. I have
    mailwasher set up with filters to catch the 'micorsoft' bit in the from
    field but that doesn't stop these emails filling up my email box, it just
    prevents me wasting time down loading them. Is the only answer to abandon my
    email address in favour of a new one. If this is the best course of action,
    do I need to let my ISP know that my old email address is now dead and not
    to keep sending me warnings about it being full?
    thanks
    david
    David Graham, Sep 20, 2003
  10. eve

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:02:06 GMT, "eve" <> wrote:

    :
    : looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
    : Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as ALOT
    : of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
    : almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.
    :
    : Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone now...
    : don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus program
    : to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so I
    : really need it to be free or warez....

    Check your hard disk regularly with Panda. Link here:
    http://www.elsid.co.za/download/index.html

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Sep 20, 2003
  11. Toby A Inkster, Sep 20, 2003
  12. eve wrote:

    >looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
    >Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as ALOT
    >of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
    >almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.
    >
    >Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone now...
    >don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus program
    >to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so I
    >really need it to be free or warez....
    >
    >thanks so much!!
    >eve

    Ha! 20 a day is barely a tickle. I've had about 500 in the last
    twenty-four hours.
    The latest Norton Antivirus definitions catch them, but they still have
    to be
    deleted after being received. By the way, I'd be pretty leery about
    opening any
    of those undeliverable-message e-mails; I have a hypothesis that a few
    of these
    are being snuck into the critical-update flood in the hope that someone
    will be
    numbed enough by the deluge that they'll carelessly open them.
    Anthony Buckland, Sep 20, 2003
  13. eve

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Anthony Buckland wrote:

    [viruses]
    > Ha! 20 a day is barely a tickle. I've had about 500 in the last
    > twenty-four hours.

    Lucky bugger! I've had 290 in the past three hours :eek:(

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Now playing: Red Hot Chili Peppers - I Could Die For You
    Dylan Parry, Sep 20, 2003
  14. eve

    Jeff Thies Guest

    > [viruses]
    > > Ha! 20 a day is barely a tickle. I've had about 500 in the last
    > > twenty-four hours.

    > Lucky bugger! I've had 290 in the past three hours :eek:(

    How do you guys deal with this???

    I'm on a dialup and this is driving me crazy as I have to download some of
    them (at 140k each).

    The others wind up in my suspect spam file causing my ISP (Earthlink sucks)
    to issue over quota warnings.

    I'm almost ready to convert to snail mail!

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Sep 21, 2003
  15. OT: Re: I have a virus... help...

    Jeff Thies wrote:

    > How do you guys deal with this???
    >
    > I'm on a dialup and this is driving me crazy as I have to download
    > some of them (at 140k each).

    Since you're on Earthlink, you can use their WebMail client and simply
    delete the messages on the server without downloading them. Still a
    PITA, but far better than actually pulling down each little turd.

    > (Earthlink sucks)

    I have to admit, I am *not* happy that their much touted SpamBlocker
    isn't dealing with this.

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, Sep 21, 2003
  16. Re: OT: Re: I have a virus... help...

    Joel Shepherd pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > Jeff Thies wrote:
    > >
    > > (Earthlink sucks)

    > I have to admit, I am *not* happy that their much touted SpamBlocker
    > isn't dealing with this.

    It's not spam; that's why. <g>

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2003
  17. Re: OT: Re: I have a virus... help...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Joel Shepherd pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    >
    >> Jeff Thies wrote:
    >>
    >>> (Earthlink sucks)

    >> I have to admit, I am *not* happy that their much touted
    >> SpamBlocker isn't dealing with this.

    > It's not spam; that's why. <g>

    Oh. Right. Okay, I guess I really have no complaints then. =)

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, Sep 21, 2003
  18. eve

    David Graham Guest

    Re: OT: Re: I have a virus... help...

    "Joel Shepherd" <> wrote in message
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > > Joel Shepherd pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

    > >> I have to admit, I am *not* happy that their much touted
    > >> SpamBlocker isn't dealing with this.

    > > It's not spam; that's why. <g>

    > Oh. Right. Okay, I guess I really have no complaints then. =)
    >
    > --
    > Joel.

    Is the only solution to change email address, and what happens to the old
    address that is still being sent all these emails?
    david
    David Graham, Sep 21, 2003
  19. eve

    PeterMcC Guest

    Jeff Thies wrote:
    >> [viruses]
    >>> Ha! 20 a day is barely a tickle. I've had about 500 in the last
    >>> twenty-four hours.

    >> Lucky bugger! I've had 290 in the past three hours :eek:(

    > How do you guys deal with this???

    <snip>

    Use something like Magic Mail Monitor - it's free from
    http://www.geeba.org/magic/

    It downloads the headers from the server so you can check them and allows
    you to delete the posts without downloading the bodies.

    PeterMcC, Sep 21, 2003
  20. Re: OT: Re: I have a virus... help...

    David Graham wrote:
    > Is the only solution to change email address,

    It's a practical measure for some addresses.

    > and what happens to the
    > old address that is still being sent all these emails?
    > david

    Your mail server just bounces them as 'unknown addressee' - it doersn't help
    with net traffic but saves you the download headache.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Sep 21, 2003