I have a virus... help...

eve

looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as ALOT
of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.

Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone now...
don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus program
to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so I
really need it to be free or warez....

thanks so much!!
eve

={ Advocated }=

eve said:
looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as ALOT
of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.

Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone now...
don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus program
to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so I
really need it to be free or warez....

thanks so much!!
eve

me too

PeterMcC

eve said:
looks like I have 'Swen'.

No you haven't - or at least what you have described doesn't suggest you
have.

Other people have it and it's replicating through email address books and
the like. Your email address is out there in address books and that's where
it's been picked up. Some of the emails you get will probably be "bounced"
returns of messages that you are supposed to have sent - don't worry, you
didn't send them. The virus picks out random addresses to put in the "From"
field and when the messages are bounced, they go back to the person whose
address was inserted and you'll get bounces back from the ones that happened
to use yours.

Ignore the emails, the information in them is a deliberate deception, the
"patch" is the virus - I'm assuming that you have an up to date virus
checker and it's neutralising the virus.

Spare a thought for those of us who are seeing 1,000+ of these things per
day :(

Hywel Jenkins

looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as ALOT
of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.

Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone now...
don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus program
to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so I
really need it to be free or warez....
You probably can't fix it with HTML, and the fact that you ask for a
warez solution indicates that you're not taking the issue seriously.

Adrienne

looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about
a Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well
as ALOT of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail....
xxxx varies, almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail
this person.

Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone
now... don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a
virus program to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I
have NO money, so I really need it to be free or warez....

thanks so much!!
eve

Try http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

PeterMcC

Hywel said:
You probably can't fix it with HTML, and the fact that you ask for a
warez solution indicates that you're not taking the issue seriously.

I didn't really register that when I looked at the OP - thanks Hywel.

It's also worth mentioning that if you run warez, you're asking for
malicious code - why go to the trouble of stopping email virus attacks and
then voluntarily go and put software on your computer that has been cracked
by some of the same people who write viruses in the first place. If you
could crack software, wouldn't you be tempted to put your own little
something in there?

David Graham

PeterMcC said:
[...]

Hi
I am getting 90+ a day. I also get a message that is legitimate stating that
my mail box is over the high threshold (75% full). If my mail box becomes
full will I start to lose mail and will my ISP take any sort of action
against me for having an overflowing box full of rubbish. I think the ISP
host should and could be able to stop this malicious set of emails. I have
mailwasher set up with filters to catch the 'micorsoft' bit in the from
field but that doesn't stop these emails filling up my email box, it just
prevents me wasting time down loading them. Is the only answer to abandon my
email address in favour of a new one. If this is the best course of action,
do I need to let my ISP know that my old email address is now dead and not
to keep sending me warnings about it being full?
thanks
david

Sid Ismail

:
: looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
: Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as ALOT
: of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
: almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.
:
: Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone now...
: don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus program
: to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so I
: really need it to be free or warez....

Check your hard disk regularly with Panda. Link here:
http://www.elsid.co.za/download/index.html

Sid

Anthony Buckland

eve said:
looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as ALOT
of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.

Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone now...
don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus program
to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so I
really need it to be free or warez....

thanks so much!!
eve
Ha! 20 a day is barely a tickle. I've had about 500 in the last
twenty-four hours.
The latest Norton Antivirus definitions catch them, but they still have
to be
deleted after being received. By the way, I'd be pretty leery about
opening any
of those undeliverable-message e-mails; I have a hypothesis that a few
of these
are being snuck into the critical-update flood in the hope that someone
will be
numbed enough by the deluge that they'll carelessly open them.

Dylan Parry

Anthony Buckland wrote:

[viruses]
Ha! 20 a day is barely a tickle. I've had about 500 in the last
twenty-four hours.

Lucky bugger! I've had 290 in the past three hours :eek:(

Jeff Thies

[viruses]
Lucky bugger! I've had 290 in the past three hours :eek:(

How do you guys deal with this???

I'm on a dialup and this is driving me crazy as I have to download some of
them (at 140k each).

The others wind up in my suspect spam file causing my ISP (Earthlink sucks)
to issue over quota warnings.

I'm almost ready to convert to snail mail!

Cheers,
Jeff

Joel Shepherd

Jeff said:
How do you guys deal with this???

I'm on a dialup and this is driving me crazy as I have to download
some of them (at 140k each).

Since you're on Earthlink, you can use their WebMail client and simply
delete the messages on the server without downloading them. Still a
PITA, but far better than actually pulling down each little turd.
(Earthlink sucks)

I have to admit, I am *not* happy that their much touted SpamBlocker
isn't dealing with this.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Joel Shepherd pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
I have to admit, I am *not* happy that their much touted SpamBlocker
isn't dealing with this.

It's not spam; that's why. <g>

Joel Shepherd

Beauregard said:
Joel Shepherd pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

It's not spam; that's why. <g>

Oh. Right. Okay, I guess I really have no complaints then. =)

David Graham

Joel Shepherd said:
Oh. Right. Okay, I guess I really have no complaints then. =)
Is the only solution to change email address, and what happens to the old
address that is still being sent all these emails?
david

PeterMcC

Jeff said:
[viruses]
Ha! 20 a day is barely a tickle. I've had about 500 in the last
twenty-four hours.

Lucky bugger! I've had 290 in the past three hours :eek:(

How do you guys deal with this???
<snip>

Use something like Magic Mail Monitor - it's free from
http://www.geeba.org/magic/

It downloads the headers from the server so you can check them and allows
you to delete the posts without downloading the bodies.

William Tasso

David said:
Is the only solution to change email address,

It's a practical measure for some addresses.
and what happens to the
old address that is still being sent all these emails?
david

Your mail server just bounces them as 'unknown addressee' - it doersn't help
with net traffic but saves you the download headache.