I have a virus... help...

William Tasso

Jeff said:
[viruses]
Ha! 20 a day is barely a tickle. I've had about 500 in the last
twenty-four hours.

Lucky bugger! I've had 290 in the past three hours :eek:(

How do you guys deal with this???

I'm on a dialup and this is driving me crazy as I have to download
some of them (at 140k each).

The others wind up in my suspect spam file causing my ISP (Earthlink
sucks) to issue over quota warnings.

I have heard good things about mailwasher

Joel Shepherd

David said:
Is the only solution to change email address

I refuse, on principle, to change my e-mail address. I've had it for
seven years, and I'll be damned if I'm relinquishing it due to a bunch
of pimply-faced thugs abusing it.

There have to be technical solutions to this.
and what happens to the old address that is still being sent all
these emails?

It's still abused in every way imaginable, just that mail sent to it
now bounces back (to a forged sender half the time).

Mark Parnell

William said:
Jeff said:
[viruses]
Ha! 20 a day is barely a tickle. I've had about 500 in the last
twenty-four hours.

Lucky bugger! I've had 290 in the past three hours :eek:(

How do you guys deal with this???

I'm on a dialup and this is driving me crazy as I have to download
some of them (at 140k each).

The others wind up in my suspect spam file causing my ISP (Earthlink
sucks) to issue over quota warnings.

I have heard good things about mailwasher

Am using it myself - is quite good. I have been getting lots of these
emails too - it is set to check every 5 minutes and usually around 70-80
emails each time.

Sounds similar to Magic Mail Monitor that Peter mentioned - only downloads
headers, then you have the option to delete the email, blacklist the sender,
and bounce it back to them as undeliverable. You can set up filters, etc.
It is free, so well worth a look.

Toby A Inkster

William said:
I have heard good things about mailwasher

I prefer SpamAssassin. Just by adding this line to my preferences:

score MICROSOFT_EXECUTABLE 4.90

Nearly any virus gets sent to my 'Junk' mailbox.

David Mackenzie

[viruses]
Ha! 20 a day is barely a tickle. I've had about 500 in the last
twenty-four hours.

Lucky bugger! I've had 290 in the past three hours :eek:(

How do you guys deal with this???

I'm on a dialup and this is driving me crazy as I have to download some of
them (at 140k each).

Try www.mail2web.com

It lets you interrogate any POP3 mailbox and delete the pesky things
before you download.