I have no idea what to search for

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Charlie, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    This is posted to the wrong group, I'm sure. But, I have no idea where to
    start. I lurk here and I know that someone here can point me in the right
    direction.
    I have a friend who wants to start a commercial site. She wants this site to
    be basically a bulletin board with pictures and the ability to vote on the
    pictures. For example, I could post a picture of my dog and a brief
    description. And visitors could then vote for my dog as a dog of the month.
    The hard part is that I have no idea how to enable the end user to upload an
    image file along with their description and have it put onto the site.
    I've talked to several friends. And I've managed to get several answers.
    ASP, PHP and CGI scripts among them. I can put the site on a Windoze server
    or a Linux box, so that isn't really a barrier.
    I am definately not familiar with any of the above listed methods of
    scripting and was hoping for some advice on where I might be able to
    purchase or download a script that would accomplish what we have in mind. I
    have tried searching on the net, but searching for the word "script" gets a
    LOT of results. Can anyone give me an idea of what to enter into a search
    engine that will provide me with a more detailed listing?

    Thanks,
    Charlie
    Charlie, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Charlie

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Charlie" <> writing
    in news:9UCQb.11788$dd6.1238@lakeread02:

    > This is posted to the wrong group, I'm sure. But, I have no idea where
    > to start. I lurk here and I know that someone here can point me in the
    > right direction.
    > I have a friend who wants to start a commercial site. She wants this
    > site to be basically a bulletin board with pictures and the ability to
    > vote on the pictures. For example, I could post a picture of my dog and
    > a brief description. And visitors could then vote for my dog as a dog
    > of the month. The hard part is that I have no idea how to enable the
    > end user to upload an image file along with their description and have
    > it put onto the site. I've talked to several friends. And I've managed
    > to get several answers. ASP, PHP and CGI scripts among them. I can put
    > the site on a Windoze server or a Linux box, so that isn't really a
    > barrier. I am definately not familiar with any of the above listed
    > methods of scripting and was hoping for some advice on where I might be
    > able to purchase or download a script that would accomplish what we
    > have in mind. I have tried searching on the net, but searching for the
    > word "script" gets a LOT of results. Can anyone give me an idea of what
    > to enter into a search engine that will provide me with a more detailed
    > listing?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Charlie

    If you decide to go with ASP, there's a component at
    http://www.aspupload.com , and IIRC, PHP already has built in image upload
    capabilites without the need for a component. Actually, there is a way to
    do uploads without a component in ASP, just Google for "asp upload script",
    without quotes.

    With that being said, I think it is advisable to learn the scripting
    language before you start seriously working with it. That way you'll have
    an idea of what to do when a script/component throws an error.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Charlie

    Duende Guest

    Duende, Jan 25, 2004
  4. In article <Xns947AA85106574xxxspamwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>,
    Duende <> wrote:

    > While sitting in a puddle Charlie scribbled in the mud:
    >
    > >I lurk here

    > http://wipkip.biz/lurker.html

    Sick! Sick! Sick sick sick!

    Audry

    --
    tawdry glamour who is at smile global dot com
    T. Audry Glamour, Jan 25, 2004
  5. Charlie wrote:

    > I have a friend who wants to start a commercial site. She wants this site to
    > be basically a bulletin board with pictures and the ability to vote on the
    > pictures. [...]
    > ASP, PHP and CGI scripts among them. I can put the site on a Windoze server
    > or a Linux box, so that isn't really a barrier.
    > I am definately not familiar with any of the above listed methods of
    > scripting and was hoping for some advice on where I might be able to
    > purchase or download a script that would accomplish what we have in mind.

    To be perfectly honest, without a decent working knowledge of some
    server-side scripting language, you're going to have a very tricky task
    ahead of you and whatever solution you put together would likely be a bit
    of a mess.

    You may be able to find a prefab script that does what you want, thanks to
    the popularity of such sites as AmIHotOrNot.com, but failing that you'd be
    better off asking somebody else to write the site for you unless you have
    to time to obtain intimate knowledge of one of the above scripting
    languages.

    For the record, of the three you've mentioned, I'd recommend PHP as:

    a) the software required for a Linux/Apache/PHP setup can be obtained for
    free; and

    b) PHP makes file uploads dead easy.

    CGI/Perl would be a close runner-up, as there are free add-on modules that
    make it almost as easy for file uploads.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jan 25, 2004
  6. Charlie

    picayunish Guest

    T. Audry Glamour wrote:

    > In article <Xns947AA85106574xxxspamwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>,
    > Duende <> wrote:
    >

    >>While sitting in a puddle Charlie scribbled in the mud:
    >>

    >>>I lurk here

    >>http://wipkip.biz/lurker.html

    > Sick! Sick! Sick sick sick!

    That's why we called him "A dirty old troll" :-D
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Jan 25, 2004
  7. "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    > This is posted to the wrong group, I'm sure. But, I have no idea where to
    > start. I lurk here and I know that someone here can point me in the right
    > direction.
    > I have a friend who wants to start a commercial site. She wants this site

    > be basically a bulletin board with pictures and the ability to vote on the
    > pictures. For example, I could post a picture of my dog and a brief
    > description. And visitors could then vote for my dog as a dog of the

    month.
    > The hard part is that I have no idea how to enable the end user to upload

    an
    > image file along with their description and have it put onto the site.
    > I've talked to several friends. And I've managed to get several answers.
    > ASP, PHP and CGI scripts among them. I can put the site on a Windoze

    server
    > or a Linux box, so that isn't really a barrier.
    > I am definately not familiar with any of the above listed methods of
    > scripting and was hoping for some advice on where I might be able to
    > purchase or download a script that would accomplish what we have in mind.

    > have tried searching on the net, but searching for the word "script" gets

    > LOT of results. Can anyone give me an idea of what to enter into a search
    > engine that will provide me with a more detailed listing?

    well, if you can get a web hoster that supports MySQL databasing and PHP,
    goto www.phpbb.com and get one of their free message boards. It has the
    ability for people to make a post that includes images, and to be able to
    vote on it. If you need an example I can make one for you, as I run one of
    the boards myself.
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jan 27, 2004
  8. "T. Audry Glamour" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Xns947AA85106574xxxspamwipkipbiz@130.133.1.4>,
    > Duende <> wrote:
    >
    > > While sitting in a puddle Charlie scribbled in the mud:
    > >
    > > >I lurk here

    > > http://wipkip.biz/lurker.html

    > Sick! Sick! Sick sick sick!

    I dont get it? I jsut have a (fake)?) 404 page with a link to a blank page
    with a black background.
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jan 27, 2004