I keep losing session state on Prod server

Keith-Earl

I have been writing ASP.NET apps since the RTM build and have never seen
this. I built a simple app that uses session variables on my DEV laptop.
All runs well. I have a simple toggle routine that checks the status of a
Session variable. I keep losing the value of the variable. When I trace the
page it is there, but it is gone next postback.

Also, I use three tier objects and store my DataManager object in a session
variable. It is gone as well whenever I postback.

I went to the Prod IIS server and made sure my Virtual Dir is set as an app
and that "Preserve Session State" was checked.

What else can I do? Why am I losing session state every page?

Thanks,
Keith

John Haynes

Keith,

Are you using IIS6.0? If so check your AppPool to make sure your aspnet
worker processes are not recycling. If they are recycling you will lose your
session state.

John

Keith-Earl

John, thank you. I really should post my config first time. No, we are
running W2k server so it's IIS 5.0.

I loaded FileMon (freeware) and see where I am getting a "Buffer Overflow"
from IIS when I try to browse the pages. I am pretty sure it is not our
Symantec Corporate hitting the Global.asax file. That was pretty common
back in the Classic ASP days, reseting our session.

On my DEV platform I turn on Trace and see I get the same SESSION ID no
matter what page I hit. I get a new SESSIONID on the PROD box. Does not
matter if I go to a new page or hit REFRESH on same page.

Thanks for your help

Keith

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

what do your application logs indicate? This is always the first place to
start.

Keith-Earl

Nothing, not a darn thing. I have removed both 1.0 and 1.1 Framework on
PROD server and am currently reinstalling 1.1, will let you know how it
goes...

BTW, I get the Buffer Overflow on a clean install. Also, copied the folder
to several other IIS installs and they all work...

Thanks!!!

Keith

--
Regards,